PDA

View Full Version : Improved Offense

The Spaz
05-15-2004, 07:56 AM
<b>This was posted from another board.</b>

During the "downtime" between the draft in late April and the start of the preseason in late July, we spend our time evaluating film and studying the rosters of all 32 NFL teams. One of the things that has jumped out at us early on in the scouting process is the depth that the Bills possess at wide receiver and the potential trickle-down effect it could have for an offense that miserably disappointed in 2003.

For starters, while Eric Moulds struggled as a result of injury and poor support with the departure of Peerless Price (Falcons) in '03, he is still one of the most talented receivers in the NFL and we expect him to have a bounce-back season in '04. Moulds is healthier and has better complementary receivers to take away some of the attention that he faced last season.

First-round pick Lee Evans is the player who will make the biggest difference in the group from a year ago. Evans, who was one of seven receivers drafted in the first round in '04, doesn't have great size, but he more than makes up for it with his speed, athleticism, strong hands and run-after-the-catch ability. Evans has the speed and separation skills that Price possesses and Josh Reed lacks.

With Moulds and Evans on the outside, Reed should enjoy a successful return to the slot position as a No. 3 receiver in '04. Reed will never be a solid perimeter starter, but he has a chance to develop into one of the NFL's finest No. 3 receivers for years to come, because he gets a lot more free releases and is able to work the short-to-intermediate zones where he thrives as a result of his smooth routes, reliable hands and excellent instincts.

The member who puts the unit over the top is Bobby Shaw, who emerged as one of the NFL's most consistent No. 3 receivers with a career-high 56 receptions in '03 and is clearly in the prime of his career right now. As the No. 4 receiver behind Moulds, Evans and Reed, Shaw is to the Bills' receiving corps what Ricky Proehl was to the Rams' receiving corps in the late-'90s; a quicker-than-fast, sure-handed veteran who will create an awful lot of mismatches against opposing No. 4 cornerbacks or safeties.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1466

elltrain22
05-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Nice post. This really gives me some extra optimism for our offense next year. I just wish it would get here soon.

Novacane
05-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I thought we were going to be a running offense

Pride
05-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I thought we were going to be a running offense

I hope we rarely have reed and shaw on the field.

having a #4 WR on the field means we are playing catch up.

finsrclowns
05-15-2004, 03:21 PM
That's a lot of pressure on a rookie (Evans) and assumes Sullivan will be adequate at LG, but beyond that the article is on point about last year's problems. Better pass protection and more speed on the perimeter are the keys to defeating a blitz. We'll see, but we're already well ahead of last season IMO.

ShadowHawk7
05-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Wow, a national article actually praising the Bills, great article. I think they may be a slight bit over-optimistic when it comes to the O-Line, but we definitley have one of the best WR corps in the NFL. It could be the best, seeing how this year plays out.
It'll be interesting how MM can keep his promise of a run-oreinted offense, with sucha great set of WRs. Adding a healthy woulda-beena-top5-pick-in-2003 to Henry should make our backfield explosive. Even our TE's should be above average to good. (Cambell, Euhus, Peters is nothing to laugh at.) If our O-line can just provide ok to good protection, we should have a top 5 Offense again.

thefixer74
05-16-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Wow, a national article actually praising the Bills, great article. I think they may be a slight bit over-optimistic when it comes to the O-Line, but we definitley have one of the best WR corps in the NFL. It could be the best, seeing how this year plays out.
It'll be interesting how MM can keep his promise of a run-oreinted offense, with sucha great set of WRs. Adding a healthy woulda-beena-top5-pick-in-2003 to Henry should make our backfield explosive. Even our TE's should be above average to good. (Cambell, Euhus, Peters is nothing to laugh at.) If our O-line can just provide ok to good protection, we should have a top 5 Offense again.

Thats what I hope and think too.

Mr. Cynical
05-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Good article....but they failed to mention who is throwing to them. :cynic:

The_Philster
05-16-2004, 04:13 AM
:deadhorse

mybills
05-16-2004, 06:26 AM
<i>When they do blitz him, they will be taking a big risk. Historically, Bledsoe has done an above average job of recognizing the blitz, making the appropriate calls and beating the blitz by getting the ball to his "hot" receiver quickly.</i>

:lolpoint: Stealth
<b>"What? Are they watching the same Drew BLedsoe I am watching? Are they watching him while smoking crack? Drew does well when he has a stellar OL that can keep the blitz away from him long enough to find an open WR. When the blitz is getting through, Drew rarely makes the right decision. They must be thinking of Brett Favre...I always get those two mixed up..."</b>

:rofl: I completely agree!

Goobylal
05-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Yeah, Bledsoe sucks. He's had such great offenses and O-lines around him his whole career, which helped put him on a HOF pace. Good thinking, peeps!

saviorbledsoe
05-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I noticed that only parts of this article were posted......they gave Drew a lot of credit in this article but that was left out I see.

The Spaz
05-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
I noticed that only parts of this article were posted......they gave Drew a lot of credit in this article but that was left out I see.

Click my link and you will see the whole article!

The_Philster
05-16-2004, 12:31 PM

the first 5 paragraphs were posted...there's no conspiracy against Drew on Spaz's part. :cynic:

saviorbledsoe
05-16-2004, 12:48 PM
I wasnt saying there was any conspiracy on anyones part. I didnt know that we could have access to a pay site on this board.

The Spaz
05-16-2004, 12:49 PM
I wasnt saying there was any conspiracy on anyones part. I didnt know that we could have access to a pay site on this board.

That's a link to the Buffalo Bills board.

ryjam282
05-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Now, that is music to my ears....Nice Spaz..

B-DON
05-18-2004, 02:09 PM
holy cow thats a great article. they praise our offense and even said teague would be decent this year if he doesnt have to help doble someone elses man. i hope this article is true