PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe facing tough decisions on three linemen

The Spaz
05-16-2004, 08:17 AM
The tough decisions never stop crossing the desk of an NFL general manager.
Buffalo Bills President and GM Tom Donahoe still has some headaches in his in box, even though his roster is fairly set for this season.

What do the Bills do about their three starting linemen set to become free agents after the 2004 campaign? Left tackle Jonas Jennings, right defensive end Aaron Schobel and defensive tackle Pat Williams are entering the final year of their contracts.

Drew Bledsoe's contract extension opened enough salary cap room this year to get a new deal with one of the three veterans and still leave the required cap cushion for the regular season. The Bills have made initial contract proposals to all three. League sources say the Bills have made it clear they have enough space to extend only one deal.

Left tackle and right defensive end happen to be two of the most expensive positions in football. Jennings and Schobel will be 27 this fall, Williams will be 32. In order to get Jennings, Schobel or Williams to take themselves off the market a year early, the Bills are going to have to make a strong commitment to them.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040516/2045443.asp?tbd2045443.asp

BillsFanInMass
05-16-2004, 09:32 AM
i hope we can keep Williams and Jennings either loss could hurt us badly

ScottLawrence
05-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Let Jennings walk.... Try and sign Williams and Schobel to an extension.

SABURZFAN
05-16-2004, 09:41 AM
i think jennings might test Free Agency if he has an above average season.schobel is a priority.i hope PW stays.

ScottLawrence
05-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Is it possible to sign all 3?

TypicalBill
05-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Is it possible to sign all 3?

Yes, but not in one offseason.. we'd probably be able to sign one of the young guys and/or Pat this season.

Clump and Eb should have a better answer to this.

Tatonka
05-16-2004, 11:13 AM
i agree.. schobel is clearly the biggest priority here.

i think pat will stay.

i think jennings is going to want too much money based on what idiots like chicago and texas paid right tackles.

Jeff1220
05-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Sam Adams will be FA too. Is he a priority? He's actually younger than Pat...isn't he?

ScottLawrence
05-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Sam Adams wont be a FA for another 3 years.

Jeff1220
05-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I thought Sam's deal was 2 years? Of course, I could be thinking of something else.

The_Philster
05-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Adams' deal was for 4 years.

Forward_Lateral
05-16-2004, 07:07 PM
I think the main focus should be Schoebel. I don't know about Williams, I guess it depends on what free agent DT are available this off season. You have to remember 32 is pretty old for a 350 pound DT who's knees are due to snap any game now. I'm not saying Pat is not good anymore, but if he is going to command alot of $$ we have to think hard on whether he's worth it or not.

The Spaz
05-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
I think the main focus should be Schoebel. I don't know about Williams, I guess it depends on what free agent DT are available this off season. You have to remember 32 is pretty old for a 350 pound DT who's knees are due to snap any game now. I'm not saying Pat is not good anymore, but if he is going to command alot of $$ we have to think hard on whether he's worth it or not.

Pat hasn't had any injuries as far as I know. Adams is the one who should be let go if we had to choose between the two.

casdhf
05-16-2004, 08:15 PM
I think Schobel is top priority, followed by Jennings. Pat Williams is very good and loves Buffalo. Hopefully we could re-sign him at market value minus a home down discount.

The Natrix
05-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Schobes is definitely priority #1. I doubt TD lets him get away.

I think Jennings will be gone.

I think Pat likes it here and he won't be getting huge offers from other teams at 32-33.

I'm thinking Schobes gets an extension soon, Pat is signed for a surprisingly cheap deal next year

...and Jennings goes to the Fins. :(

The_Philster
05-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
...and Jennings goes to the Fins. :(

I don't like the idea of losing Jennings either (as keeping linemates together builds cohesion and improves play) but at least we have Marcus Price who can step right in and not miss a beat. :up:

SoCalBillsFan
05-16-2004, 09:17 PM
I actually think Jennings should be first priority. The O Line has been mediocre forever, we need to hold onto the one guy who is solid. Schoebel is good, but I think Jennings actually adds more value. You NEED to have a good O Line if you want to be good.

Tatonka
05-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I don't like the idea of losing Jennings either (as keeping linemates together builds cohesion and improves play) but at least we have Marcus Price who can step right in and not miss a beat. :up:

price is a FA as well.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

price is a FA as well.

Well I'm sure we'll sign at least 1 of them :)

ShadowHawk7
05-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Jennings is the best Pass blocker we have, I think. That might not be saying much, but still. I think he's a priority, as the only way to patch up that hole correctly would to be to sign a most likely expensive FA in 2005. The FA would possibly already be in his early 30's as well. A draft pick, prolly wouldn't be able to hold his ground until a year or two later. However, the farm shouldn't be sold for him, and I trust TD will know when he's asking too much, and won't overspend. Williams is a priority as well, but I think he'll sign for slightly less than he's worth b/c of age, and he loves Buffalo. I'm torn about Schobel, b/c while his sack numbers are great, and he's solid all around, I'm wondering if he's too erratic. (2.5 sacks one game, and shut out for next 2 or 3.)

ShadowHawk7
05-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Who do you think should be the top priority? List them in numbered fashion. (etc. 1. Jennings 2. Schobel 3. Williams) I don't know what mine would be, b/c all 3 players are very important. One could become expendable depending on the 2005 FA's.

Philagape
05-16-2004, 10:39 PM
1. Jennings
2. Schobel
3. Pat

elltrain22
05-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Keep Jennings, and Schobel definelty, also sign Clements

thefixer74
05-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by ScottLawrence
Let Jennings walk.... Try and sign Williams and Schobel to an extension.

Those 2 are the 2 I'm worried about.Jennings seems to be hurt alot anyway.

1) Schobel
2)Williams
3)Jennings if any $$$ is left.

BigZ
05-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Philagape
1. Jennings
2. Schobel
3. Pat

I think Schobel and Jennings need to be resigned. Pat will be easier in FA to try to keep.

ryjam282
05-17-2004, 09:07 AM
I say Schobel is the absolute priority now. Pat will be #2, cause I think Jennings wants to leave.

ShadowHawk7
05-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by zielinski
I think Schobel and Jennings need to be resigned. Pat will be easier in FA to try to keep.

Agreed.
1. Jennings
2. Schobel
3. Williams (2005)

Ingtar33
05-17-2004, 10:51 AM
sorry... while LT might be the most important possition on the OL, Jennings is at best a middle of the road LT. Mean while Schobel might just be a Pro-Bowl RE.

Schobel (now, because it will be cheaper to sign him now than if he puts up another 10+ sack season)
Jennings and Pat Williams next off-season

Dozerdog
05-17-2004, 10:53 AM
What does next year's OL crop look like in the draft?

This year sucked.

Ingtar33
05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
better, much better... there is a LT from Oklahoma (Jammal Brown) who should go top 10, a few others who should be 1st round material... better than Shaun Andrews anyway.

The Spaz
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
better, much better... there is a LT from Oklahoma (Jammal Brown) who should go top 10, a few others who should be 1st round material... better than Shaun Andrews anyway.

Yeah guys like Jammal Brown (Oklahoma), Ben Wilkerson (LSU), C.J. Brooks (Maryland) and Alex Barron (Florida St.) are well thought of.

Dozerdog
05-17-2004, 11:50 AM
We will need a good OT late 2nd round- when we make our first pick

justasportsfan
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM
I think Jennings' fate should be decided by Mcnally. MCnally should have input whether he can easily replace Jonas .

SoCalBillsFan
05-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Ingtar, not sure if you have seen him, but what do you think of Winston Justice (RT, USC)? He might leave after this year because he has been suspended, where do you think he fits in the class? I know its early...

SeatownBillsFan21
05-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Pat will stay cause Sam wiil still be here Aaron if he has g decent year he will walk jennings is gone imo.GO BILLS!!!!!!!

thefixer74
05-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
sorry... while LT might be the most important possition on the OL, Jennings is at best a middle of the road LT. Mean while Schobel might just be a Pro-Bowl RE.

Schobel (now, because it will be cheaper to sign him now than if he puts up another 10+ sack season)
Jennings and Pat Williams next off-season

Can't argue with that.:cheers:

Dantheman1280
05-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Jennings( We Need O-line, we should keep the talent we have)
Schobel( The Only Quality end we have as of right now, Kelsay has a shot, but Ive given up on RD)
Williams ( I would love for big pat to stay a Bill till retirement but if he gets a big offer we wont match it)

juice
05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
Pat will stay cause Sam wiil still be here Aaron if he has g decent year he will walk jennings is gone imo.GO BILLS!!!!!!!

If Pat will stay for Sam's sake then Aaron should be the priority NOW! Maybe a run deep into the Playoffs will keep JJ interested in staying in Buffalo.

B-DON
05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
i would definitely get a boner if we drafted barron from fsu next year

thefixer74
05-18-2004, 11:08 AM
He seems to always be missing games.(Jennings)

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by B-DON
i would definitely get a boner if we drafted barron from fsu next year

If we are able to acquire a 1st round pick we will have a shot at him.:up::beers:

mysticsoto
05-18-2004, 02:43 PM
What about the depth for DEs and DTs in the draft next year? All this needs to be considered when determining who we will keep. I'm partial to Schobel only b'cse he has improved every year since he started. But if we had a glut of excellent DEs next year (like we had of WRs this year), then maybe Jennings would be the one we should focus on, etc.

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Dan Cody (Oklahoma), Anttaj Hawthorne (Wisconsin), David Pollack (Georgia), Marcus Spears (LSU), Mike Patterson (USC), Adell Duckett (Texas Tech), Justin Tuck (Notre Dame), Shaun Cody (USC), Simon Fraser (Ohio St.) are all concidered good solid prospects for D-Linemen in next year's draft.