PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell are the cicadas?

Valerie
05-16-2004, 05:29 PM
If I don't start to see these damn bugs I'm going to be mad!:mad: They've been talking about the cicada invasion for over a month now and I have yet to see or hear one freaking bug! I think the media exaggerated, once again, and I don't think we're in for an invasion. And, not that I wanted to see 200,000 thousand cicadas on my front lawn, I was sort of intrigued by the whole idea.

:down: Media
:down: Cicadas

Bufftp
05-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Valerie
If I don't start to see these damn bugs I'm going to be mad!:mad: They've been talking about the cicada invasion for over a month now and I have yet to see or hear one freaking bug! I think the media exaggerated, once again, and I don't think we're in for an invasion. And, not that I wanted to see 200,000 thousand cicadas on my front lawn, I was sort of intrigued by the whole idea.

they are hiding in your closet waiting to ambush you Val!

Dozerdog
05-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Ans as soon as one lands on her shoulder while driving topless, we will hear about the 100 car pileup on the Beltway....

Valerie
05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
:lmao: I actually thought about that, Dozer. I worry if they would fly into my car.:idunno: And you're right, if one did, there probably would be an accident. :(

imbondz
05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
actually Valerie, they hybernate underneath your toilet seat, right where you can't see. Be careful next time you go :(

Halbert
05-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Got your garlic chocolate sauce ready?

The Natrix
05-16-2004, 06:08 PM
what's the correct pronounciation for cicada?

I say si-cod-ah and I'm not changing for anyone. :mad:

..but I heard someone say it pretty differently

BAM
05-16-2004, 06:12 PM
sik-ay-das? i dunno either

kardshark19
05-16-2004, 06:17 PM
its suh-cay-duh, and Val, you haven't seen any yet. At my house I will see them flying around, but only about 3-5 in the same area. At church today near the basketball court there were a couple. All the little kids were picking them up and putting them on the little girls. :D

SABURZFAN
05-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
what's the correct pronounciation for cicada?

I say si-cod-ah and I'm not changing for anyone. :mad:

..but I heard someone say it pretty differently

Originally posted by BAM
sik-ay-das? i dunno either

Originally posted by kardshark19
its suh-cay-duh, and Val, you haven't seen any yet. At my house I will see them flying around, but only about 3-5 in the same area.

who cares how it's pronounced?i like the crunching noises when i chew on them.:up:

05-16-2004, 08:09 PM
http://www.nuestrapalabra.org/NPSept02/cmarin.jpg

I think those GD Chicanos should go back to Mexico where they belong

Halbert
05-16-2004, 10:35 PM
wrong thread, dude.

OpIv37
05-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Val, I saw a few at my friends' house- they only live about 3 miles away, but I haven't seen any at my place. Sounds like the typical DC exaggeration again....

05-17-2004, 07:57 AM
I hear they're just organizing so they can hold up traffic on the Beltway and invade the Mall for the Trillion Bug March for Entomological RIghts.

Discotrish
05-17-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Valerie

Maybe the cicadas are having a Y2K problem and their years got thrown off. Did anyone think to warn them?

Patti :snicker2:

My Hot Gorilla Blog Thingie (http://www.beefonweck.blogspot.com)

Valerie
05-17-2004, 08:48 AM
KardShark and OpIv, no, I haven't seen any! Not a one!!!!!!!! I heard on the radio this morning that some areas have the hundreds of thousands as they were saying but other areas don't have any. I guess I'm in an area that doesn't have any. I've seen them in past years, but nothing like what they were saying was supposed to happen. A very, very, very small part of me is sad that I won't see the cicada masses. I also find it hard to believe that in an area where there are tons of open grassy fields and big house lots, we won't get see what some areas are seeing.

ticatfan
05-17-2004, 09:30 AM
hehehehehehehehe

Dozerdog
05-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Blame Chemlawn-

In 17 years, if the ground they live in was treated at one time or another- then they're dead.

In the rural areas where they were left undisturbed- they will most likely flourish