PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Play The Guitar

BAM
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
So I have some spare time now that it's summer time and I want to get better at the guitar. I had been taking a teach-yourself course my brother gave me but it's whack.

Does anyone have a recommendation to something online maybe? I'll pay for one I just don't really want to go to a class or anything, I'd rather learn it myself.

Thanks in advance! :rocker:

The_Philster
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm sure LOG has something he could sell you. :snicker:

BAM
05-17-2004, 07:12 PM
I don't need another guitar I have 3 already. :snicker2:

honey
05-17-2004, 07:19 PM
My kid wants a guitar - log promised whoever won the Apprentice game a guitar - wonder if he'll follow through? :D

BAM
05-17-2004, 07:22 PM
:idunno:

Bill Brasky
05-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I have been playing guitar for 12 years... before that I played bass for a year... I got bored with guitar and now I'm teaching myself drums and drumming in a band at the same time.

My advice to you is to keep teachin yourself man... it's not to difficult and after a while your ear will start picking up the tiniest things in guitar riffs... teaching yourself is far better than going to classes. I quit taking guitar lessons after the 3rd one because I wasn't learning anything I didn't already know. I don't know of anything online that could help but if you ever need assistance, etc. just PM me bro... ROCK OUT.

The Natrix
05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
yeah, now that the cost of lessons would be coming out of your own pocket, don't take them. I took lessons from about 12-14 and didn't really learn much that I couldn't have learned on my own as far as scales and what not. The biggest thing I picked up from my teacher though, was his sense of style and improvisation. He is an awesome Jazz guitarist.

I think I remember you saying you mostly listen to Tool and other such modern rock. If this is mostly what you want to play than definitely don't take lessons. You can just get the songs online or from a song book, and eventually you will be able to listen and figure out those songs quite easily.

I can relate to jfreeman though. I got bored with guitar, picked up a pair of drum sticks and never looked back. I takes a twisted mind to play the drums. :snicker:

I've also played the Trumpet, French Horn, Malaphone and a little bass guitar and keys

But now it's drums all the way. Every band needs percussion, so you never feel out of place in an ensamble.

mybills
05-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I agree. Teach yourself. Play by ear, it worked for me! :up:

Rude American
05-18-2004, 09:55 AM
yeah, you learn a lot of theory that way. :rolleyes: I love those kids who don't even have a clue what chord they're playing. All they know is it's apower chord, rockin away to green day.

The best players in the world all took lessons...satch, Vai, Holdsworth, etc.

Worked for them.

Take some lessons. Learn the basics. You'll get more out of it than you think. I did. I took 'em for about 8 years. The trouble with lessons though is that you get stuck playing old lang syne in 12th position. Tell the guy what you want to play. He'll work with you. Plus, you'll never take the time to learn theeory on your own. Never.

Stewie
05-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Learning theory doesn't make you good.

I don't think BAM is trying to be one of the best guitarists in the world. I'm guessing he just wants to be able to play songs he likes.

Just learn it on your own BAM. Take the money you save and spend it alcohol instead, and you'll be amazed at how much better you sound. And quickly!

BAM
05-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by paulB
I don't think BAM is trying to be one of the best guitarists in the world. I'm guessing he just wants to be able to play songs he likes.

Definitely not! I can play one hell of an air guitar! I just want to be able to jam to some of my favorite tunes, maybe bust out the guitar at a party or something and provide some entertainment ya know? :guitar:

Originally posted by paulB
Just learn it on your own BAM. Take the money you save and spend it alcohol instead, and you'll be amazed at how much better you sound. And quickly!

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the advice guys :)

:rocker: Rock on! :punk:

Rude American
05-18-2004, 01:22 PM
you're making a very big mistake. There's no way you'll ever be satisfied with only playing a few chords. It becomes a part of who you are. First a cheap guitar, then an electric, then an amp. Then you'll want a good eloectric and that small jammer amp won't be big enough, so you'll get a Mesa/Boogie Triple rec solo head and 2 4x12 cabs. With a noise gate, EQ, evantide 3000 digital harmonizer so you can emulate Vai, then... ah, who knows. But eventually you'll look like this...

Rude American
05-18-2004, 01:23 PM
the image attachment size limit is ridiculous.

05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Learning music theory makes you a musician. Not learning it makes you a Clay Aitken Karaoke queen.

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 01:24 PM
can you make the picture any smaller?

Rude American
05-18-2004, 01:34 PM
don't talk to me, talk to the site heads...

JERK OFF!!!!! :mad:

Bill Brasky
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rude American
you're making a very big mistake. There's no way you'll ever be satisfied with only playing a few chords. It becomes a part of who you are.

maybe that's what he wants to do. but if he really wants to he can learn all that theory stuff on his own... i did it and it's not that difficult, but i don't really think that's what he's going for. some people are just looking for a side hobby, not a side obsession.

BAM
05-18-2004, 04:09 PM
right Jfreeman :up:

I just wanna play a little better for now. Eventually I'll get into it deeper. I can already play simple stuff like House of the Rising Sun and Takin Care of Business. :guitar:

mchurchfie
05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
The best way is a combination of both Bam. You can learn on your own, there are lots of free lessons and tab on the internet. Get going that way so that you have a general music sense and then start working in the theory if peaks your interest. Playing by ear is great but if you want to expand your playing and take it to the next level you should understand theory also. It will give you a lot more to work with. :up:

BAM
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
what do you guys mean by theory? just curious.

Rude American
05-18-2004, 04:57 PM
what chord you're playing, what notes you're playing, what key you're in, etc.

The only way you'll ever become a refines player it to have a mentor... someone to show you the insiders tricks, etc. Any idiot can strum though. If that's what you're looking for, cool. There are things you'll never figure out on your own.

mchurchfie
05-18-2004, 05:26 PM
I'll be your mentor.:up: I'll bring my guitar to the Home Opener and show you how to play "Eruption" by Van Halen.:guitar:

The_Philster
05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
I'll be your mentor.:up:

There you go...then BAM will have all the large chicks he can handle. :up:

BAM
05-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Rude American
what chord you're playing, what notes you're playing, what key you're in, etc.

The only way you'll ever become a refines player it to have a mentor... someone to show you the insiders tricks, etc. Any idiot can strum though. If that's what you're looking for, cool. There are things you'll never figure out on your own.

I see. Well my brother has been playing guitar for about 10 years maybe he could help me out with that side of it.

I'll be your mentor. I'll bring my guitar to the Home Opener and show you how to play "Eruption" by Van Halen.

That'd be awesome man! I love that song! :punk:

BTW I will definitely PM you guys if I have any questions... getting to work right now. I bought a kit from iplaymusic.com It was the best one I found... it has about 30 short videos you download and two 30 page books to use with them. Only $20 so what the heck!

Wish me luck :)

mchurchfie
05-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by BAM
. I bought a kit from iplaymusic.com It was the best one I found... it has about 30 short videos you download and two 30 page books to use with them. Only $20 so what the heck!

Wish me luck :)
That sounds like one of Log's scams.:eek:

mchurchfie
05-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
There you go...then BAM will have all the large chicks he can handle. :up:
:lol::punk:

BAM
05-18-2004, 05:53 PM
it actually seems pretty helpful. The videos have four different camera angles on the guys' hand & finger positioning for the A, G, D major chords & C A & E minor chords, strumming paterns , chord transitions, riffs, etc.

BAM
05-18-2004, 07:57 PM
My fingers hurt :(

:D

I have the A, G, and D Major chords down :up:

05-18-2004, 08:01 PM
my dog has fleas

BAM
05-18-2004, 08:08 PM
so does mine :snicker2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/400000/images/_403760_flea_ap_150.jpg

lordofgun
05-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BAM
So I have some spare time now that it's summer time and I want to get better at the guitar. I had been taking a teach-yourself course my brother gave me but it's whack.

Does anyone have a recommendation to something online maybe? I'll pay for one I just don't really want to go to a class or anything, I'd rather learn it myself.

Thanks in advance! :rocker:

Originally posted by The_Philster
I'm sure LOG has something he could sell you. :snicker:

I have guitar lesson videos and cds!!!

BAM
05-19-2004, 12:04 PM
They any good man? Link me up :up:

lordofgun
05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BAM
They any good man? Link me up :up:

Oh yeah, they're the best ever! And the best part is they're FREE. (you only pay a small non-refundable $24.95 shipping and handling fee!) :up:

BAM
05-19-2004, 12:17 PM
:rofl: ok. What's the link?

lordofgun
05-19-2004, 12:18 PM
You get a book, cd, and video!

I'll have to find the link...LOL

Seriously, though...are you just starting out or are you wanting to learn more advanced techniques?

BAM
05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I am a beginner. :(

As novice as they come.

Gunzlingr
05-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BAM
what do you guys mean by theory? just curious.

E=MC2

mchurchfie
05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Oh yeah, they're the best ever! And the best part is they're FREE. (you only pay a small non-refundable $24.95 shipping and handling fee!) :up:

You get a book, cd, and video!

I'll have to find the link...LOL

Seriously, though...are you just starting out or are you wanting to learn more advanced techniques?

Originally posted by BAM
:rofl: ok. What's the link?

Said the spider to the fly.:snicker:

BAM
05-19-2004, 12:37 PM
I need as much help as possible.

lordofgun
05-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BAM
I am a beginner. :(

As novice as they come.

PayPal me $5 to cover shipping and I'll send you one. :up:

BAM
05-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Awesome I'll PM ya :up:

Rude American
05-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BAM
I need as much help as possible.

that's why you need some real lessons.

Halbert
05-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Trying to teach yourself guitar is like trying to teach yourself golf from scratch. You can do it but it will retard your development. Do yourself a favor and find somebody good then take a few lessons to kick things off. You might not have to go back for years.

mchurchfie
05-19-2004, 02:18 PM
PayPal me $5 to cover shipping and I'll send you one. :up:

:eek:You never offered a deal like that before.:idunno:
:mad:

lordofgun
05-19-2004, 02:28 PM
:eek:You never offered a deal like that before.:idunno:
:mad:

'Cuz you'd just turn around and sell it on Ebay for a profit. :mad:

mchurchfie
05-19-2004, 05:27 PM
'Cuz you'd just turn around and sell it on Ebay for a profit. :mad:

:couch:

Michael82
05-19-2004, 05:49 PM
So, when is honey going to get her guitar, so she can play for us at the opener? :D