PDA

View Full Version : Season can't start soon enough for South Beachers

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 08:46 AM
If Dolphins owner and chairman of the board Wayne Huizenga doesn't have a plaque that reads, "No news is better than bad news," it has to be on his wish list.

Nothing positive seems to be spinning out of South Beach this offseason. And the Dolphins have to wonder if they can get it going in the right direction.

It started at the end of a successful — perhaps in record only — regular season.

Huizenga met face-to-face with head coach Dave Wannstedt, who in his fourth season as Dolphins field boss led the team to a 10-6 record but took his team home instead of to the playoffs for the second consecutive season. Amidst rumors that Wannstedt — 41-23 as Dolphins head coach in the regular season and 81-79 in his career — would be relieved of his coaching duties, Wannstedt emerged from his meeting with Huizenga with a contract extension as head coach but was stripped — like Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren in 2003 — of “final say” concerning personnel matters.

The Dolphins moved quickly to hire a general manager. But interviews were slanted. Some candidates were told the job was not a true GM job, rather the equivalent of pro personnel director. Ultimately, it was the job held by Rick Spielman, then senior vice president of football operations and player personnel. But Spielman, who answered to Wannstedt, was told he would have to interview with at least seven other candidates, including Phil Savage of the Ravens, Rick Smith of the Broncos and Giants director of player personnel Jerry Reese. The Dolphins decided, midway through the process, they would hire former Packers general manager Ron Wolf as a consultant or de facto GM to facilitate front-office and personnel moves while breaking in the personnel director. Wolf rejected the job, leaving the Dolphins to scramble.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Miami/Features/2004/reynolds051704.htm

You have to love it if you're a Bills fan!:snicker::biggrin:

Jan Reimers
05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in all these off season machinations. The Fins may very well go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl.

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I wouldn't put too much stock in all these off season machinations. The Fins may very well go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl.

Yeah....sure:rofl:

HAMMER
05-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Jan,

Have you had your head in the oven sniffing gas again? No way do they go 14-2, they will be lucky to go .500 this year. That team is so out of sorts I don't think they have a shot at anything. New O-Line, no way they mesh that quickly. Aging defense that can't stop a good team. Questions at QB, and poor coaching add up to a whole bunch of crap. Oh yeah, and a RB that thinks he's a rastafarian.

Tatonka
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM

get off the sauce.

B-DON
05-18-2004, 10:51 AM

pass that ****

justasportsfan
05-18-2004, 11:41 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8691053.htm?ERIGHTS=-689596812066877088miami::waaz_up@hotmail.com&KRD_RM=2nkllojkkjlrniiiiiiiijkopr|Nathan|N

:D

Jan Reimers
05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by HAMMER
Jan,

Have you had your head in the oven sniffing gas again?

Originally posted by Tatonka
get off the sauce.

Originally posted by B-DON
pass that ****

You guys need to know that I once predicted that Ryan Leaf would be a better NFL QB than Peyton Manning. And, unfortunately, I said it without the help of gas, booze or drugs.

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8691053.htm?ERIGHTS=-689596812066877088miami::waaz_up@hotmail.com&KRD_RM=2nkllojkkjlrniiiiiiiijkopr|Nathan|N :D

It just keeps getting better!:snicker::biggrin:

The Spaz
05-18-2004, 12:04 PM
You guys need to know that I once predicted that Ryan Leaf would be a better NFL QB than Peyton Manning. And, unfortunately, I said it without the help of gas, booze or drugs.

That's nice now pass the doobie!:snicker:::beers:

MDFINFAN
05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Eventually this will all stop and the team will get focus, maybe this shakeup is what we needed. btw for the people who said a bunch of new players can't mess quickly,,,I just say remember the Rams...aging D did someone say..other than Seau, they are in their prime. The two oldest players are Bowens and Z. thomas, and thomas just turned 30. I don't know what's going to happen this year but I have a funny feeling the phins will be better O wise than they were last year when it's all said and done.

Samphin1
05-18-2004, 10:04 PM
You guys put way too much stock in newspaper reports. I have said that before though. Anyhow, I doubt Miami goes 14-2 but I seriously doubt they go below .500. They have too many returning players from a 10-6 team to see that happen. Only one starter on defense has changed, and it is probably a push in regards to their positives and negatives ( Marion to Freeman). We deepened our secondary even moreso with Poole and Howard.

Our wide receiver core is better than last year's bunch. Chambers is what he is. Boston is better than Thompson, Gadsen or any other guy we had out there last year, so yes, we are better there in my opinion.

Ricky will do his thing again this year. The O-line has completely changed and probably will take some time to get there stuff together. So that is definately concerned, but they were terrible last yeat so I doubt they could get much worse.

The Qb play will be the breaker I think. Feeley looked rusty in our first mini camp, but reports out of today's camp were that he looked a lot more comfortable and fired off some sweet passes. Fiedler probably still has the edge, but Feeley is closing fast.

I refrain from making predictions ( other than to counter silly predictions made elsewhere on the site ), and I won't make one here. However, I think Miami is going to be better than you guys think and probably not as good as our most fanatical think as well.