PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who wanted Plax!

Pride
05-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who skipped a mandatory minicamp earlier this month, was the only Steeler not to show up when the team resumed "voluntary" workouts Tuesday. "I thought he was going to be here, but obviously he's not," fellow wideout Hines Ward told the Associated Press. "It's sad. I've got to prepare like we're going into the season right now without Plax; we don't know what is going to happen." Burress told Sporting News Radio he missed the May 7-9 minicamp to be with his brothers on the second anniversary of the death of their mother. He also has made it known he's unhappy that the Steelers have yet to open contract talks. Burress is in the final year of his contract, and after his production slipped dramatically last season the Steelers haven't exactly been rushing the Brinks truck to Plax's door.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-steelersburressawola&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Pride
05-19-2004, 08:06 AM
I sure as hell dont want this Moss Jr. on our team!

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Pride
I sure as hell dont want this Moss Jr. on our team!

He's not even Moss. Moss at least puts up big numbers despite his issues.

elltrain22
05-19-2004, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't mind having him...

Jan Reimers
05-19-2004, 09:08 AM
He's been a head case since his days at Michigan State. We certainly don't need him.

Dantheman1280
05-19-2004, 10:45 AM
He can be our version of David Boston! LOL!

STAMPY
05-19-2004, 04:33 PM
we don't need another WR... but if we did i rather have Plax over Boston

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 05:24 PM
I love the new era of the NFL ... he skips a "voluntary" workout and he's considered a trouble-maker.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I love the new era of the NFL ... he skips a "voluntary" workout and he's considered a trouble-maker.

It may be called "voluntary" but I guarantee the coaches want the players there.

The_Philster
05-19-2004, 06:06 PM

He also skipped a mandatory one. A smart person would have made it to as many voluntary workouts as possible to make up for that. :cynic:

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

It may be called "voluntary" but I guarantee the coaches want the players there.

I'm not defending the guy, I'm more laughing at the double-talk that the NFL is doing with its training camps.

But as to Plax being a problem child, personally, I'd take a Bruce Smith (a guy that performed poorly in tc's) over an Antonio Brown (a guy that performs great in tc's) any day of the week.

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

He also skipped a mandatory one. A smart person would have made it to as many voluntary workouts as possible to make up for that. :cynic:

If he felt that he skipped the mandatory one for a reasonable excuse, then no he wouldn't. He only would have made the extra effort if he felt that he was in the wrong initially.

Plaxico's performance the last 3 years speak to his ability to get ready for the season. If I was the Steelers, I wouldn't be too concerned.

The_Philster
05-19-2004, 06:20 PM
If he felt that he skipped the mandatory one for a reasonable excuse, then no he wouldn't. He only would have made the extra effort if he felt that he was in the wrong initially.

I believe I DID state "a smart person" :shakeno:

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:25 PM

I believe I DID state "a smart person" :shakeno:

He missed it for the anniversary of his mother's death. It's an offseason minicamp for a veteran ... I'd say he's more of a kiss-ass if he thought he was in the wrong than an intelligent individual.

Look, I'm all for raw-raw, try as hard as you can, always go the extra mile type of thing. However, if you have proven that you know what you are doing and can get things done consistently, as long as you're there on Sunday, I could really care less what you do. Plax is paid to play on Sunday and get the job done. How he does it is his business.

Phil Jackson wins championship after championship for two reasons:
1 - he has the most talented teams
2 - he realizes that the egos of great players are entirely different than the egos of average players and that's part of the reason that great players are great (most of the time). As a result, he let Rodman or Jordan blow off steam in Vegas, but you can bet your ass the guys on the bench were always at practice. Same sort of thing can hold in football as well (did Marv bench Smith for holding out all those times?).

If you think just #1 is all that it takes ... ask yourself if anyone has ever gotten the most out of Iverson (or for football sake, Jeff George, or Randy Moss) and then compare that to what Jackson got out of Rodman and other mental cases.

The_Philster
05-19-2004, 06:29 PM
(did Marv bench Smith for holding out all those times?)
Please tell me you're not comparing BRUCE to Burress. :ill:

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:32 PM

Please tell me you're not comparing BRUCE to Burress. :ill:

Why not? They're both star players on the team. yes, Bruce is an all-timer, but I still think Burress is the calibre of player that deserves special treatment ... after all, he's outperformed Moulds each of the last 3 years.

The_Philster
05-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Why not? They're both star players on the team. yes, Bruce is an all-timer, but I still think Burress is the calibre of player that deserves special treatment ... after all, he's outperformed Moulds each of the last 3 years.

Moulds was saddled with RJ the first year and Gilbride the last 2

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
I never wanted Plax. Now I don't want him even more.

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 11:51 PM

Moulds was saddled with RJ the first year and Gilbride the last 2

Plax had Kordell and Maddox.

I consider that a break-even. Even still, my point was that Plax is the quality of player that deserves special treatment.

helmetguy
05-20-2004, 08:51 AM
No player deserves "special" tratment. Plax may have a ton of natural talent, but he's about as good now as he was when he came into the league. That is, he still runs sloppy routes and his concentration leaves a lot to be desired. To warrant "special" treatment, one must first demonstrate he has earned it. As for the Bruce Smith analogy, Smith was a workout warrior in the off season. If Smith was given "special" consideration, his work product certainly demonstrates that he earned it. Burress isn't even close.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
No player deserves "special" tratment. Plax may have a ton of natural talent, but he's about as good now as he was when he came into the league. That is, he still runs sloppy routes and his concentration leaves a lot to be desired. To warrant "special" treatment, one must first demonstrate he has earned it. As for the Bruce Smith analogy, Smith was a workout warrior in the off season. If Smith was given "special" consideration, his work product certainly demonstrates that he earned it. Burress isn't even close.

Exactly no player deserves special treatment.