PDA

View Full Version : This years cut(s)...

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Every season we see a suprising cut during training camp...Who do you think it will be this year?

These are not really all that suprising though:
Damion Shelton (All FB's) -
I can't imagine the Bills keeping a FB on the roster since they will running the ball out of a lot of three wide sets not to mention McGahee and Henry will play at the same time. Plus Neufeld can play a H-back role at times.

Antonio Brown
Travis Brown - Just throwing him out there, he probably will survive.
Justin Bannan - I wouldn't cut him but if you look at the depth at DT it will be quite a chore for him to make the roster.

Tommy D.

Ebenezer
05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Hi Tom...welcome to the boards...

The Natrix
05-19-2004, 10:00 AM
hmmm, I pretty sure teams always carry a FB. I don't see Willis being a lead blocker for Henry on 3rd and goal at the one yard line.

I think Travis Brown stays. I don't want two back ups that have no experiece/chemistry with the team.

Antonio Brown should be cut. He is rotted.

Yeah, Bannan could be the odd man out at DT.

ShadowHawk7
05-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Either Shelton or Lawton will be cut.

Jan Reimers
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Ryan Denney will be replaced by a potted plant, and no one will know the difference.

Rian Lindell will be replaced by a real kicker.

Sape, Crowell, Haggan, A. Brown, Coleman, Simonton and Reese will all be looking over their shoulder for the Turk.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
hmmm, I pretty sure teams always carry a FB. I don't see Willis being a lead blocker for Henry on 3rd and goal at the one yard line.

Goaline, they could use Peters, Neufeld or Campbell. Last season they used Neufeld at H-back many times.

Dantheman1280
05-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Ryan Denney will be replaced by a potted plant, and no one will know the difference.

Sape, Crowell, Haggan, A. Brown, Coleman, Simonton and Reese will all be looking over their shoulder for the Turk.

Sape (maybe, he is undersized and is injury prone
Crowell ( why would we cut him after just one season, wasen't he our 3rd rounder?)
Haggen (Provides depth at linebaker and will make it on the PS at the least)
Brown (he is gone)
Coleman ( He has a good shot, the WR corps is crowded but we will have to see if he can fight it out)
Simonton (Gone!)
Reese ( I think he will stay, but if we cut him it wouldnt bother me one bit)

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I loved Crowell at Virginia. Reminded me of Sam Cowart, a tackling machine. He was just way too small last year but I think he will have a special teams impact this year along with Haggan. I see both those guys making this squad.

Keep in mind our special teams lost our captains - Sammy Morris and DaShon Polk.

Tommy D.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
I can see us keeping 2 fb's hell we had Gash and Crosby last year and the year before we had Crosby and Centers. Shelton and Lawton are 2 different FB's Shelton is more of a blocker as Lawton is a receiver with decent speed.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I can see us keeping 2 fb's hell we had Gash and Crosby last year and the year before we had Crosby and Centers. Shelton and Lawton are 2 different FB's Shelton is more of a blocker as Lawton is a receiver with decent speed.

The thing is roster spots. We know they will keep at least 3 TE's and maybe even four with Peters but they will probably practice squad him. Six or seven Wide outs, probably seven with kick returning duties for Smith. Then at DT we could see 7 tackles make the roster.

I don't think we are going to see alot of "Big" formations this season. I think Mularkey will always keep at least three receivers in the set. It could be Moulds, Evans and Reed in the slot or Moulds, Evans and McGahee coming out of the backfield in motion. I think they will try to run out of a spread offense more often then a power set. Mainly our TEs are not the greatest blockers and it will force teams to substitue a corner for a linebacker.

Tommy D.

Tatonka
05-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

i am willing to bet anything that crowell doesnt get cut.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
The thing is roster spots. We know they will keep at least 3 TE's and maybe even four with Peters but they will probably practice squad him. Six or seven Wide outs, probably seven with kick returning duties for Smith. Then at DT we could see 7 tackles make the roster.

I don't think we are going to see alot of "Big" formations this season. I think Mularkey will always keep at least three receivers in the set. It could be Moulds, Evans and Reed in the slot or Moulds, Evans and McGahee coming out of the backfield in motion. I think they will try to run out of a spread offense more often then a power set. Mainly our TEs are not the greatest blockers and it will force teams to substitue a corner for a linebacker.

Tommy D.

I think 3 TE's is a big set and I think we will see that a lot in 3rd and short and goalline situations.

NC-BILLS44
05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Dorenbos may be gone with the arrival of another LS that plays more than one position.

Reese - Gone.
McKenzie - hasn't shown anything and never will again.
A. Brown - we may have some KRs that can also play WR and RB.

Tatonka
05-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44
Dorenbos may be gone with the arrival of another LS that plays more than one position.

Reese - Gone.
McKenzie - hasn't shown anything and never will again.
A. Brown - we may have some KRs that can also play WR and RB.

those last three are not even long shots to make the roster imho..

mckenzie did show something when he played.. but he is schobels back up and doesnt see much time.

Earthquake Enyart
05-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Aiken.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 12:45 PM

I think 3 TE's is a big set and I think we will see that a lot in 3rd and short and goalline situations.

I agree that in short yardage and goalline situations you will see probably two TE set with Neufeld as the H-back blocking for Henry. But on 1st and ten I think they spread it out and run the ball.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Aiken.

Why would you cut Aiken? He was a rookie last year and was hurt most of the season. I see him as a 95% lock to make stay on the team this year.

Earthquake Enyart
05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Why would you cut Aiken? He was a rookie last year and was hurt most of the season. I see him as a 95% lock to make stay on the team this year.

Why keep him?

We have enough kick returners. He showed nothing in training camp last year or during the season.

Plus it's easy to pick off the sluggos at the bottom of the roster.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Why keep him?

We have enough kick returners. He showed nothing in training camp last year or during the season.

Plus it's easy to pick off the sluggos at the bottom of the roster.

He's not a kick returner. Why is he a sluggo, because he didn't light the world on fire as a rookie?

Earthquake Enyart
05-19-2004, 02:16 PM
He's not a kick returner. Why is he a sluggo, because he didn't light the world on fire as a rookie?

Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Evans.

Coleman looked better than Aiken last year and he probably a little cheaper. And Brown isn't dead yet. Brown returns kicks.

DraftBoy
05-19-2004, 02:18 PM

Coleman looked better than Aiken last year and he probably a little cheaper. And Brown isn't dead yet. Brown returns kicks.

well no **** he looked better. Anybody looks better than somebody who is injured and not playing.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I have to wonder how some of you think that if a player sucks his rookie year he should be cut, unbeleiveable.

Earthquake Enyart
I don't remember Aiken being hurt.

If Aiken was so injured why did he take up a roster spot all year?

The Spaz
Originally posted by DraftBoy
well no **** he looked better. Anybody looks better than somebody who is injured and not playing.

Amen.:beers:

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 02:21 PM

That why it helps to do research before posting. Aiken only played in 5 games last year.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I remember a comment from TD(myself) talking about how long the Chiefs stuck with Dante Hall and how it eventually paid off. Brown’s speed is ridiculous but I just don’t see how they could find a spot for him. Plus he always seemed to get tackled by the twenty-yard line and then stumble five yards while falling to the ground in front of a waiting defender. Also he certainly is NOT a punt returner, maybe a kick returner at best.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 02:30 PM

Sam Aiken Placed On I.R.

Orchard Park, NY - The Bills announced that the team has placed wide receiver Sam Aiken on the Injured Reserve list with a knee injury.

Aiken appeared in five games for the Bills this season and caught five passes for 49 yards.

Selected with the second of Buffalo's two picks in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL Draft (127th overall), Aiken was one of North Carolina's most consistent threats in his final season with the Tar Heals, setting school single-season records with 68 grabs and 990 yards (14.6 avg.). He finished his four-year college career with 146 receptions for 2,205 yards (15.1 avg.) and 15 touchdowns and was an All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team choice.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=216171&dsp=press

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 02:35 PM
There is no way the Buffalo Bills cut Sam Aiken period. A fourth round pick who was injuried does not get cut the following year on any team in the NFL. (Except maybe the dolphins when they drafted the blind linebacker that one year.) Bryan Adams or something like that was the guys name. Legally blind in one eye. Too funny!

ParanoidAndroid
05-19-2004, 03:09 PM
The receiver position is definately a tight race. I'd hate to see Brown go because he's so damn fast. He nearly broke a couple of returns last year but that isn't enough since he gave up ground to try and be Dante Hall. Understandable rookie mistake. He would have to beat out Coleman at receiver which wouldn't be impossible and someone would have to decide that Shaw is expendable if Reed and Aiken look good in camp. At TE, I think Neufeld is the odd man out. Peters is the 3rd, utility type TE. Who would you line up at H-back on goal to go, a 330 lb. guy who runs 4.89 or a 250 lb guy who runs 4.78? Bannan is going to have to work his a** off to make the squad. Maybe Gibson will choke, but he's a scrapper that hates to lose. Reese is gone. That's a bummer because he was supposed to be so much more. All we have are SS's.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 03:31 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe the Bills plan on moving Peters to offensive tackle. Anyone else heard this?

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe the Bills plan on moving Peters to offensive tackle. Anyone else heard this?

No they beleive he can play TE. If he fails at that then they will move him to OT but for now they are playing him at TE.

thefixer74
05-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Moulds, Reed, Shaw, Evans.

When healthy Aiken reminds me of Moulds,the way he catches the ball with his hands and turns his hips up field with good speed and RAC.He has similar size too.Most will be surprised with his development this year.

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:16 PM
I have to wonder how some of you think that if a player sucks his rookie year he should be cut, unbeleiveable.

If we keep Aiken, then we'll essentially be doing the same with another receiver ... so your logic doesn't really hold.

Aitken's at best the #5 on the depth chart at wide receiver this year.

We've also to see whether or not last season's injury will affect his game.

yes, he may have been injured last year, but that shouldn't guarantee him a spot ... if he gets outperformed by Coleman, Brown, or someone else, he's done.

John Doe
05-19-2004, 06:24 PM
The thing is roster spots. We know they will keep at least 3 TE's and maybe even four with Peters but they will probably practice squad him. Six or seven Wide outs, probably seven with kick returning duties for Smith.

If we are going to be tight for roster spots then why keep 7 wide outs? The 6th or 7th would not contribute at all. At least Aiken gives us some size and might be able to contribute on special teams. Coleman really gives us nothing in particular. I don't understand people's facination with him.

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Brandon Spoon, Ron Edwards, Avion Black ... they're all 4th rounders that didn't really stick too long.

I'm truly amazed by the idea that a 4th round WR in his second year is a lock for a roster spot.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Brandon Spoon, Ron Edwards, Avion Black ... they're all 4th rounders that didn't really stick too long.

I'm truly amazed by the idea that a 4th round WR in his second year is a lock for a roster spot.

They all had an ample amount of playing time to prove themselves unlike Aiken. Brandon Spoon started one season and ripped up his bicep. Ron Edwards did stick around and provides solid depth for us currently. Avion Black was picked by the Texans in the expansion draft.

Seven receivers includes Jonathon Smith who will only be on special teams.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by John Doe

If we are going to be tight for roster spots then why keep 7 wide outs? The 6th or 7th would not contribute at all. At least Aiken gives us some size and might be able to contribute on special teams. Coleman really gives us nothing in particular. I don't understand people's facination with him.

I never said I would cut Aiken because I wouldn't. The seventh will contribute in the form of Jonathon Smith as a kick returner and punt returner.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 06:49 PM
If we keep Aiken, then we'll essentially be doing the same with another receiver ... so your logic doesn't really hold.

Aitken's at best the #5 on the depth chart at wide receiver this year.

We've also to see whether or not last season's injury will affect his game.

yes, he may have been injured last year, but that shouldn't guarantee him a spot ... if he gets outperformed by Coleman, Brown, or someone else, he's done.

My logic does hold. None of the other guys were draft choices. Aiken has more potential then they do as he was drafted. How many zb's do you want to bet that Aiken makes this team?

mypoorfriendme
05-19-2004, 11:32 PM
aiken over coleman for sure

HenryRules
05-19-2004, 11:58 PM

My logic does hold. None of the other guys were draft choices. Aiken has more potential then they do as he was drafted. How many zb's do you want to bet that Aiken makes this team?

Wow, he was a draft choice ... that pretty much goes at the window after he spends the better part of a year on the IR. Who's to say he's the same receiver? Aiken may have more potential than the other possible #5's, but he has less than Evans and Reed and those guys are ahead of him and always will be if everyone lives up to potential (and if everyone doesn't, then you open the door for Coleman/Brown).

Our regime made their statement of confidence in Aiken when they drafted Evans ... if Aiken performs like crap, he's gone.

HenryRules
05-20-2004, 12:00 AM

I never said I would cut Aiken because I wouldn't. The seventh will contribute in the form of Jonathon Smith as a kick returner and punt returner.

7 wide and 3 QB's on the roster??? With Bledsoe and Losman guaranteed, we're taking 3 QB's for sure, so we've got almost 1/5 of our roster in 2 offensive positions? That's ridiculous. We're taking 6 WR if absolutely necessary, most likely 5.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Wow, he was a draft choice ... that pretty much goes at the window after he spends the better part of a year on the IR. Who's to say he's the same receiver? Aiken may have more potential than the other possible #5's, but he has less than Evans and Reed and those guys are ahead of him and always will be if everyone lives up to potential (and if everyone doesn't, then you open the door for Coleman/Brown).

Our regime made their statement of confidence in Aiken when they drafted Evans ... if Aiken performs like crap, he's gone.

Thy drafted Evans because of his speed something that none of our receivers have besides Moulds and Brown. Like I said how much do you want to bet that Aiken makes this team?

tomdonahoe
05-20-2004, 06:49 AM

7 wide and 3 QB's on the roster??? With Bledsoe and Losman guaranteed, we're taking 3 QB's for sure, so we've got almost 1/5 of our roster in 2 offensive positions? That's ridiculous. We're taking 6 WR if absolutely necessary, most likely 5.

This team will have a kick returner / punt returner on it, correct? Whatever position you want to call Jonathan Smith, which I call him a WR, then add one to the roster.

John Doe
05-20-2004, 06:17 PM
This team will have a kick returner / punt returner on it, correct? Whatever position you want to call Jonathan Smith, which I call him a WR, then add one to the roster.

So, in theory Smith (kick returner) could fill in as a wide out in a pinch. As HenryRules correctly stated, all you really need is 4 more. 5 more is a bit over the top. 6 more is detrimental to the balance of the team.

tomdonahoe
05-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by John Doe

So, in theory Smith (kick returner) could fill in as a wide out in a pinch. As HenryRules correctly stated, all you really need is 4 more. 5 more is a bit over the top. 6 more is detrimental to the balance of the team.

So when you see a team spreads it out and go five wide then all of their receivers are on the field?

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2004, 12:55 PM

Really I was thinking that he was more like a 93% lock.

Earthquake Enyart
05-21-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
Really I was thinking that he was more like a 93% lock.

:rofl:

No way we keep 7 WR.

It's unlikely that we'll keep 6.

Aiken, at best, is #5, and as far as I know, he doesn't return kicks. So, in order to keep Aiken, Shaw and Clemens are your KR's. Do we really want to do that?

It kills me how you guys, except men of reason like Henrysrules, are in love with the #5 or 6 WR. Just like those that were in love with Spoon. BTW, where did Spoon play last year?

tomdonahoe
05-21-2004, 01:57 PM

BTW, where did Spoon play last year?

Spoon is with St. Louis.