PDA

View Full Version : Boston's Trainer calls NFL teams Training Methods "Moronic"

Tatonka
05-19-2004, 02:48 PM
WR Boston's Personal Trainer: NFL Teams' Training Methods are Moronic

Full Article:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/tuesday/sports_049a07370783713b009d.html

Clipped from: PalmBeachPost.com article by Joe Schad, 5/18/04
David Boston's personal trainer said Monday that the Dolphins' contention the wide receiver should lose about 11 pounds is "counterproductive" and that the training and testing methods NFL teams use are "moronic."

The Dolphins believe Boston plays his best at 229 pounds, but in two months, Boston hasn't shed a pound and still is around 240. Coach Dave Wannstedt believes weight was an issue for Boston in San Diego and doesn't want it to be here.

But Charles Poliquin who has helped build Boston's muscular physique, doesn't see the rationale, considering Boston carries about only 5 percent body fat.

"When you get below 4 percent, you start to encounter sleep disorders," Poliquin said. "So they want him to lose muscle mass and to lose quite a bit of it. The problem is that if he loses weight, he will be more prone to injury and not as fast. That would be taking two cylinders out of a car. The thing about this NFL science is that it's about five or six Olympic medals behind in the times."

The Dolphins believe excess weight may have contributed to lower leg bleeding that kept Boston out of the first three days of quarterback school. Boston expects to return to practice today. Poliquin disputed the notion that Boston's "armor" makes him more susceptible to injury.

[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW ]]]]]]]]]]
Now we can see where a bit of Boston's attitude problems may be coming from, huh? If his personal trainer advises him to ignore his employer's trainers, it seems like a natural source of some of the friction that we heard about regarding Boston in San Diego last year. Will Boston "shape up" and please the Dolphins, or will his spiral out of favor continue in Miami? We'll keep you posted. Side note: Charles Poliquin is a controversial figure but he has the respect of many folks. You can check his website here http://www.charlespoliquin.net/index.htm and his list of clients here http://www.charlespoliquin.net/clients/index.html It's very likely that he does indeed know a good deal more about strength training than the Dolphin's staff. That does nothing to reduce the friction however.

win win for us i think. either he doesnt lose the weight and causes problems w/ the coaching staff like in san diego... or he lose it and is like 6 cylinder engine running on 4 cylinders according to his trainer.

good.

:snicker:

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 02:50 PM
It's ok to have a personal trainer during the offseason but once you start having mini-camps it's time to do what the team asks you to do and be a team player.

The Spaz
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Boston just needs to quit and be a bodybuilder or a model or something.

tomdonahoe
05-19-2004, 02:56 PM
He fits in so well down there. I love the addition.

Michael82
05-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Why doesn't the NFL constantly test him for Steroids? He is DEFINITELY using them, or at least has used them sometime recently. :flex:

Samphin1
05-19-2004, 03:57 PM
There isn't any proof of him using roids recently Mikey, to say so is a stereotype. Until proven to have used them, he is cleared of any wrong doing. As far as his trainer goes, the guy is an idiot. He may be good at what he does, but he isn't an expert in football, and should leave football's testing guidelines to the pros.

Boston is about 10-11 pounds heavier than Miami wants him to be, but he looked reall good yesterday in mini camp, a marked improvement over the last camp, which is encouraging, even if it is mini camp. Also, he has worked out with the team, somethign he never did before, and has stated that it was fun to try somethign different. He also is determined to shed himself of the "cancer" label that has plagued him for the last couple of years. I think dropping his trainer would be a nice place to start the shedding of that label.

Tatonka
05-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
Why doesn't the NFL constantly test him for Steroids? He is DEFINITELY using them, or at least has used them sometime recently. :flex:

he said that he is tested almost every other week, even though it is suposed to be "random"

the nfl is watching him like a hawk.. but if he is using something.. it is some new **** they cant pick up yet.

i am pretty convinced that he is on some kind of HGH though.. because his head has gotten bigger and that is a sure sign of it.

HenryRules
05-20-2004, 12:03 AM
It's not like Boston has sprouted to his current size ... he hasn't really grown that much since college ... if he was on roids, it was a while ago.

Some people are just that dedicated to staying in shape.

Tatonka
05-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
It's not like Boston has sprouted to his current size ... he hasn't really grown that much since college ... if he was on roids, it was a while ago.

are you kidding me? the size difference between his rookie year and 2nd year was crazy.. then the jump from his 2nd year to his 3rd was even crazier.. he went from 225 to 250. in one offseason.

sorry.. he is on something.

mypoorfriendme
05-20-2004, 01:06 AM
but its not steroids...its human growth hormone!

TypicalBill
05-20-2004, 02:42 AM
the difference in the size of his chin and the way his facial bones have changed since coming into the league are results of HGH. Your facial bones dont grow like that unless you're using some kind of growth hormone. Unfortuantely, there is no test for that and some athletes can get away with it.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Originally posted by Tatonka
are you kidding me? the size difference between his rookie year and 2nd year was crazy.. then the jump from his 2nd year to his 3rd was even crazier.. he went from 225 to 250. in one offseason.

sorry.. he is on something.

I'm glad you said something T because Boston is totally different from when he first came into the league.

Ickybaluky
05-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Boston's official combine measurements in 1999:

Height: 6:02.4

Weight: 208

Now he weigh's north of 240, and has become as big as 255. Draw your own conclusions.

There just is no way Boston should play so heavy, and I don't care what his trainer says. He wears down too much during games. Andre Johnson of Houston is every bit the freak of nature and workout freak that Boston is, and he played last year at about 225#. This year, Johnson says he wants to get down around 215#-220#.

It is just hard playing WR in the NFL if you are that big, as stamina is a big component. Sure, he may run a 4.4 in the first quarter, but what good is that if he needs plays off and is playing 4.6 by the 4th? Makes no sense, and his trainer should know that. It isn't like he is a DL.

Also, Boston is subject to random testing at least a couple times a month. That is because he is already in the NFL Substance Abuse program due to a positive test for Coke and Weed when he was arrested in Arizona a couple years ago. If he tests positive again, he gets an automatic 4-game suspension.

Goobylal
05-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Boston is definitely hopped-up on HGH. Since there's no test for it, he can get away with doing it. I'm sure a lot of other pro athletes are doing it as well, but his is the most obvious, because of the extreme weight gain and facial bone changes.

TigerJ
05-20-2004, 01:41 PM
I don't look at David Boston enough to make comparisons or accusations. I'm just gratified that he and Dave Wannstedt get along so well LOL. I'm sure that's going to only help matters.

Dantheman1280
05-20-2004, 02:25 PM
:fishfry:

:squish:

Disgustipatex
05-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. I dont have enough time to accuracy describe the "dumb" in here.

First of all, Boston isnt on HGH. His trainer is a world-renown guy, who produces olympic gold medalists and has a well known system.

Second of all, Boston didnt "explode". He was drafted at 208, but had the frame to put more muscle on. No one in the league works as hard as he does, or puts the effort into preparing his body then Boston does.

As for the morons who took this as thinking Boston doesnt want to lose weight..Consider the fact that Poliquan is no longer Bostons trainer, regardless of what the article incorrectly states. The guy is the founder of the system he uses, he's got a live-in trainer that he pays(Not Poliquan or whatever).

Boston still weighing in the 240's is in no way reasonably a suggestion that he doesnt want to lose weight. He's got 5% body fat. Boston is trying to lose MUSCLE mass. Is that rattling around in any of your empty skulls? You dont simply stop eating an excercising to lose muscle. How often do you hear of people purposely trying to lose muscle? Never.

''I don't know how short a time it takes [to lose the weight],'' Boston said. ``But all I can do is go out there and do what I have to do. Coach Gamble is working really hard with me on that. We're all on the same page.

``Jerry said that when I played my best I was at 230. So I've got that in my mind. That's a fact.'' (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8708837.htm)

Dont let it be said that facts, reasoning, and reality have a place on Billszone.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Sorry but Boston is on HGH look at his facial structure compared to when he first came into the league.

Goobylal
05-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. I dont have enough time to accuracy describe the "dumb" in here.

First of all, Boston isnt on HGH. His trainer is a world-renown guy, who produces olympic gold medalists and has a well known system.

Second of all, Boston didnt "explode". He was drafted at 208, but had the frame to put more muscle on. No one in the league works as hard as he does, or puts the effort into preparing his body then Boston does.

As for the morons who took this as thinking Boston doesnt want to lose weight..Consider the fact that Poliquan is no longer Bostons trainer, regardless of what the article incorrectly states. The guy is the founder of the system he uses, he's got a live-in trainer that he pays(Not Poliquan or whatever).

Boston still weighing in the 240's is in no way reasonably a suggestion that he doesnt want to lose weight. He's got 5% body fat. Boston is trying to lose MUSCLE mass. Is that rattling around in any of your empty skulls? You dont simply stop eating an excercising to lose muscle. How often do you hear of people purposely trying to lose muscle? Never.

''I don't know how short a time it takes [to lose the weight],'' Boston said. ``But all I can do is go out there and do what I have to do. Coach Gamble is working really hard with me on that. We're all on the same page.

``Jerry said that when I played my best I was at 230. So I've got that in my mind. That's a fact.'' (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8708837.htm)

Dont let it be said that facts, reasoning, and reality have a place on Billszone.
Whatever you choose to believe. When a guy, a WR no less, adds 40# of muscle over a couple years timespan, and his head enlarges, it reeks of HGH usage. So too does his body breaking down like it has. But being a Phins homer wouldn't cause you to look at things subjectively now, would it?

Dozerdog
05-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Let's not a Miami reporter, working for a Miami paper, interviewing Miami coaches get in the way of "The real Facts"

:lolpoint: disgustipatex

Ingtar33
05-20-2004, 11:42 PM
There was a Sports Illustrated article about Boston last off-season... i think the Miami fans should hunt that article down and see what a problem he was.

I’m not a huge fan of SI reporting but that article on Boston was fantastic. It also highlights his "relationship" with his "trainer", and lays the groundwork for what was wrong with him the last two or three seasons, even predicting what would be wrong with him last year.

Let me put it this way, what SI wrote in that issue is likely as close to the truth as you'll find on David Boston

If Boston isn’t on some sort of drug/hormone/steroid then I’m a potted plant.

Disgustipatex
05-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Sorry but Boston is on HGH look at his facial structure compared to when he first came into the league.

You're spewing half understood rumors. His facial structure hasnt changed massively. It has changed, but HGH aint even close to the only reason for that.

It's a fact that he was 20 years old when he came into the league. Couple that with the fact that he lost body weight, and is down to 5% now.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Let's not a Miami reporter, working for a Miami paper, interviewing Miami coaches get in the way of "The real Facts"

disgustipatex

There isnt a test here to become a moderator, is there? Miami reporters? The Herald and Sentinal are mullet wrappers, and usually have quite a few factual errors.

Poliquan isnt Boston's trainer. This is a fact.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 12:15 PM
You're spewing half understood rumors. His facial structure hasnt changed massively. It has changed, but HGH aint even close to the only reason for that.

It's a fact that he was 20 years old when he came into the league. Couple that with the fact that he lost body weight, and is down to 5% now.

There isnt a test here to become a moderator, is there? Miami reporters? The Herald and Sentinal are mullet wrappers, and usually have quite a few factual errors.

Poliquan isnt Boston's trainer. This is a fact.

Your facial structure doesn't change when you get older you just get wrinkles.:up:

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:33 PM

Lost body weight? I think you should be more worried about tests to become posters rather than mods. Atleast understand what your talking about. Also after the age of 20 most if not all facial features are fully grown except for hair. Im not saying hes on something or not. There are signs that point to both yes and no. I lean towards yes. He was hardly a cancer in ARZ or Ohio St for most of his career. He gets near the end with ARZ and with SD and is moody and a *****. Combine that with his stunning size developments, and amazing definition, and you got a good case to say hes on something. Then again maybe he just has one hell of a trainer and a work ethic.

Samphin1
05-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

Lost body weight? I think you should be more worried about tests to become posters rather than mods. Atleast understand what your talking about. Also after the age of 20 most if not all facial features are fully grown except for hair. Im not saying hes on something or not. There are signs that point to both yes and no. I lean towards yes. He was hardly a cancer in ARZ or Ohio St for most of his career. He gets near the end with ARZ and with SD and is moody and a *****. Combine that with his stunning size developments, and amazing definition, and you got a good case to say hes on something. Then again maybe he just has one hell of a trainer and a work ethic.

The guy does take a huge amount of supplements, somethign like 90 a day or something. He takes IV's to replenish his system. There hasn't been any evidence that he has taken steroids or HGH. Pointing to his physique and facial structure change ( as slight or grand as it might be) isn't evidence. At best, it would be circumstantial but until he comes out and admits he takes it, or there is some type of expose, it is nothing but specualtion by people who have nothing else to complain about.

There have been a number of articles on Boston within the past few weeks that shed some light on is attitude in Miami. He seems to be happy here and is working out with the team and working with our S&C coach as well. The SI article was a nice read, albeit a freaking long one, is outdated to over a year ago and doesn't seem to hold true anymore.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1

The guy does take a huge amount of supplements, somethign like 90 a day or something. He takes IV's to replenish his system. There hasn't been any evidence that he has taken steroids or HGH. Pointing to his physique and facial structure change ( as slight or grand as it might be) isn't evidence. At best, it would be circumstantial but until he comes out and admits he takes it, or there is some type of expose, it is nothing but specualtion by people who have nothing else to complain about.

There have been a number of articles on Boston within the past few weeks that shed some light on is attitude in Miami. He seems to be happy here and is working out with the team and working with our S&C coach as well. The SI article was a nice read, albeit a freaking long one, is outdated to over a year ago and doesn't seem to hold true anymore.

I said Im not sure hes taking steroids or not. Regardless of all his supplements and IV's. It still doenst explain his facial features being changed and his amazingly quick body change. Supplements are meant to speed up the process but Ive never known one to work that fast.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 08:36 PM
I said Im not sure hes taking steroids or not. Regardless of all his supplements and IV's. It still doenst explain his facial features being changed and his amazingly quick body change. Supplements are meant to speed up the process but Ive never known one to work that fast.

Exactly you think that no other trainer has heard about this training regimine? Why aren't more athletes with this trainer, hmmmmmmmm?

Samphin1
05-21-2004, 11:43 PM

Yeah but it is rare for people to take upwards of 90 pills a day and sit in a room and take IV's in your arm damn near everyday. Massive amounts of supplements could lead to facial changes. I am not sure how prominent they could change the facial structure, but given the amount he takes, I wouldn't be surrpised to see his pill diet be responsible for that and his massive physique.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-22-2004, 01:47 AM
Boston is good hes not great cause he a body builder not a football player...