• Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Boston's Trainer calls NFL teams Training Methods "Moronic"

WR Boston's Personal Trainer: NFL Teams' Training Methods are Moronic

Full Article:

Clipped from: PalmBeachPost.com article by Joe Schad, 5/18/04
    David Boston's personal trainer said Monday that the Dolphins' contention the wide receiver should lose about 11 pounds is "counterproductive" and that the training and testing methods NFL teams use are "moronic."

The Dolphins believe Boston plays his best at 229 pounds, but in two months, Boston hasn't shed a pound and still is around 240. Coach Dave Wannstedt believes weight was an issue for Boston in San Diego and doesn't want it to be here.

But Charles Poliquin who has helped build Boston's muscular physique, doesn't see the rationale, considering Boston carries about only 5 percent body fat.

"When you get below 4 percent, you start to encounter sleep disorders," Poliquin said. "So they want him to lose muscle mass and to lose quite a bit of it. The problem is that if he loses weight, he will be more prone to injury and not as fast. That would be taking two cylinders out of a car. The thing about this NFL science is that it's about five or six Olympic medals behind in the times."

The Dolphins believe excess weight may have contributed to lower leg bleeding that kept Boston out of the first three days of quarterback school. Boston expects to return to practice today. Poliquin disputed the notion that Boston's "armor" makes him more susceptible to injury.

[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW ]]]]]]]]]]
    Now we can see where a bit of Boston's attitude problems may be coming from, huh? If his personal trainer advises him to ignore his employer's trainers, it seems like a natural source of some of the friction that we heard about regarding Boston in San Diego last year. Will Boston "shape up" and please the Dolphins, or will his spiral out of favor continue in Miami? We'll keep you posted. Side note: Charles Poliquin is a controversial figure but he has the respect of many folks. You can check his website here http://www.charlespoliquin.net/index.htm and his list of clients here http://www.charlespoliquin.net/clients/index.html It's very likely that he does indeed know a good deal more about strength training than the Dolphin's staff. That does nothing to reduce the friction however.

win win for us i think. either he doesnt lose the weight and causes problems w/ the coaching staff like in san diego... or he lose it and is like 6 cylinder engine running on 4 cylinders according to his trainer.

good.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

It's ok to have a personal trainer during the offseason but once you start having mini-camps it's time to do what the team asks you to do and be a team player.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Boston just needs to quit and be a bodybuilder or a model or something.

Comment

• tomdonahoe
        • May 2004

He fits in so well down there. I love the addition.
        Tommy D.
        The Voice of Reason

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Why doesn't the NFL constantly test him for Steroids? He is DEFINITELY using them, or at least has used them sometime recently.

Comment

• Samphin1
            • Mar 2004

There isn't any proof of him using roids recently Mikey, to say so is a stereotype. Until proven to have used them, he is cleared of any wrong doing. As far as his trainer goes, the guy is an idiot. He may be good at what he does, but he isn't an expert in football, and should leave football's testing guidelines to the pros.

Boston is about 10-11 pounds heavier than Miami wants him to be, but he looked reall good yesterday in mini camp, a marked improvement over the last camp, which is encouraging, even if it is mini camp. Also, he has worked out with the team, somethign he never did before, and has stated that it was fun to try somethign different. He also is determined to shed himself of the "cancer" label that has plagued him for the last couple of years. I think dropping his trainer would be a nice place to start the shedding of that label.

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              Why doesn't the NFL constantly test him for Steroids? He is DEFINITELY using them, or at least has used them sometime recently.
              he said that he is tested almost every other week, even though it is suposed to be "random"

the nfl is watching him like a hawk.. but if he is using something.. it is some new **** they cant pick up yet.

i am pretty convinced that he is on some kind of HGH though.. because his head has gotten bigger and that is a sure sign of it.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

It's not like Boston has sprouted to his current size ... he hasn't really grown that much since college ... if he was on roids, it was a while ago.

Some people are just that dedicated to staying in shape.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
                  It's not like Boston has sprouted to his current size ... he hasn't really grown that much since college ... if he was on roids, it was a while ago.

are you kidding me? the size difference between his rookie year and 2nd year was crazy.. then the jump from his 2nd year to his 3rd was even crazier.. he went from 225 to 250. in one offseason.

sorry.. he is on something.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                    • Apr 2003

but its not steroids...its human growth hormone!
                    the dude abides

Comment

• TypicalBill
                      • Sep 2002

the difference in the size of his chin and the way his facial bones have changed since coming into the league are results of HGH. Your facial bones dont grow like that unless you're using some kind of growth hormone. Unfortuantely, there is no test for that and some athletes can get away with it.
                      For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HenryRules

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        are you kidding me? the size difference between his rookie year and 2nd year was crazy.. then the jump from his 2nd year to his 3rd was even crazier.. he went from 225 to 250. in one offseason.

sorry.. he is on something.
                        I'm glad you said something T because Boston is totally different from when he first came into the league.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Boston's official combine measurements in 1999:

Height: 6:02.4

Weight: 208

Now he weigh's north of 240, and has become as big as 255. Draw your own conclusions.

There just is no way Boston should play so heavy, and I don't care what his trainer says. He wears down too much during games. Andre Johnson of Houston is every bit the freak of nature and workout freak that Boston is, and he played last year at about 225#. This year, Johnson says he wants to get down around 215#-220#.

It is just hard playing WR in the NFL if you are that big, as stamina is a big component. Sure, he may run a 4.4 in the first quarter, but what good is that if he needs plays off and is playing 4.6 by the 4th? Makes no sense, and his trainer should know that. It isn't like he is a DL.

Also, Boston is subject to random testing at least a couple times a month. That is because he is already in the NFL Substance Abuse program due to a positive test for Coke and Weed when he was arrested in Arizona a couple years ago. If he tests positive again, he gets an automatic 4-game suspension.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Boston is definitely hopped-up on HGH. Since there's no test for it, he can get away with doing it. I'm sure a lot of other pro athletes are doing it as well, but his is the most obvious, because of the extreme weight gain and facial bone changes.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

I don't look at David Boston enough to make comparisons or accusations. I'm just gratified that he and Dave Wannstedt get along so well LOL. I'm sure that's going to only help matters.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X