PDA

View Full Version : FOX's best and Worst Offseason moves

justasportsfan
05-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Best moves

Bills retain defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. It's almost a given that a new coach will install his own offensive and defensive coordinators. But Mike Mularkey recognized the fine job Gray did in 2003 and left him in place.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2408078

LtBillsFan66
05-20-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm interested to see what Gray can do without GW's influence.

justasportsfan
05-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I'm interested to see what Gray can do without GW's influence. or Lebeau's help.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
or Lebeau's help.

LeBeau helped but he didn't call the plays that's why he left.

justasportsfan
05-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

LeBeau helped but he didn't call the plays that's why he left. That's why I said help. :ugly:

LtBillsFan66
05-20-2004, 09:33 AM
I think the defensive ranking last year was deceiving. I think field position not gained by the O led to the D not giving up many yards. We were dead last in takaways.

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 09:34 AM
That's why I said help. :ugly:

I know I was just saying.:up::beers:

Jan Reimers
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I think Grey has grown into a good defensive coordinator. We made few changes to the D, so he should benefit from the continuity in personnel who know the system.

Earthquake Enyart
05-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Gray isn't as bad as he was two years ago, and not as good as it appeared this year.

justasportsfan
05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
The biggest problem I saw is that teams were throwing a lot for short yardage and making them (winfield 10 yds away from his man) . I'm not sure if it was our cb's or if Gray put them in those situations.

LtBillsFan66
05-20-2004, 10:08 AM
The biggest problem I saw is that teams were throwing a lot for short yardage and making them (winfield 10 yds away from his man) . I'm not sure if it was our cb's or if Gray put them in those situations.

That, and there was no passrush at times.

We'll see. I think they'll get things ironed out.

DraftBoy
05-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Ill go with our Safties being so bad. If I got cornered got beat it was an easy TD. Milloy and whoever the hell was in at FS were non-existant all season. Unfortunately I see alot of the same this next season too. We wont be getting many picks.

finsrclowns
05-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

Ill go with our Safties being so bad. If I got cornered got beat it was an easy TD. Milloy and whoever the hell was in at FS were non-existant all season. Unfortunately I see alot of the same this next season too. We wont be getting many picks.

I have to disagree with this. Part of the reason we had the #2 defense last year was the consistent, if unspectacular, play st SS by Lawyer Milloy. And Reese was an improvement over Prileau.

Samphin1
05-20-2004, 09:06 PM
I aks this because I don't know really. What kind of coverage do your corners play? Or at least, last year? Was it generally man to man, cover 2, some type of zone? Did they play generally off the receiver by a ton or right up on them? I am just curious to see how that might change with Vincent replacing the faster Winfield in the defensive backfield.:idunno:

The Spaz
05-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1
I aks this because I don't know really. What kind of coverage do your corners play? Ar at least, last year? Was it generally man to man, cover 2, some type of zone? Did they play generally off the receiever by a ton or right up on them? I am just curious to see how that might change with Vincent replacing the faster Winfield in the defensive backfield.

Chris Bown of Bills Digest said he see the Bills using a lot more of cover 2 but not exclusively.

Jeff1220
05-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I think the defensive ranking last year was deceiving. I think field position not gained by the O led to the D not giving up many yards. We were dead last in takaways.

You could also argue that the 3 and outs by the O really put the D in a tough position, as far as time on the field. They also gave up very few PPG (I haven't checked but I'm sure it's top ten - maybe top 5 in that category).

My biggest beef were the converted third downs at critical points in the game. That seemed to always happen. Overall, though, the D made most of the Bills' games winnable.

Turf
05-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Whoever calls the DB's to play 5-10 yards off the LOS every game should have been fired two years ago.

justasportsfan
05-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220

You could also argue that the 3 and outs by the O really put the D in a tough position, as far as time on the field. They also gave up very few PPG (I haven't checked but I'm sure it's top ten - maybe top 5 in that category).

My biggest beef were the converted third downs at critical points in the game. That seemed to always happen. Overall, though, the D made most of the Bills' games winnable. I agree. Gilbrides passing O harldy took any time off the clock and since we often went 3 and out that's gives the opposing teams more time to wear down our D. the Miami game was a good example. RW running 40+ times.

justasportsfan
05-21-2004, 08:54 AM

Ill go with our Safties being so bad. If I got cornered got beat it was an easy TD. Milloy and whoever the hell was in at FS were non-existant all season. Unfortunately I see alot of the same this next season too. We wont be getting many picks. I disagree, we had one of the best ranked passing D's. We often took away the big passing plays but got burned for shot yards because of it. I often saw Winfield and clements give up short yards because they were 5-10 yards away from their man. A lot of those ended up in 1st downs for the opposing teams.

Milloy was solid but not a probowler we expected him to be for the $$$ we were paying him. Hopefully, he'll step it up in his second year w/ the team.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I disagree, we had one of the best ranked passing D's. We often took away the big passing plays but got burned for shot yards because of it. I often saw Winfield and clements give up short yards because they were 5-10 yards away from their man. A lot of those ended up in 1st downs for the opposing teams.

Milloy was solid but not a probowler we expected him to be for the $$$ we were paying him. Hopefully, he'll step it up in his second year w/ the team.

Maybe you just didnt understand my point. Im saying that the reason we were playing so far off the line was due to the safeties so we wouldnt get burned deep. I understand how we got beat. I honestly dont think it will be any better this year. Also neither of our current corners are at all physical so I wouldnt expect alot of jamming at the line.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Samphin1
I aks this because I don't know really. What kind of coverage do your corners play? Or at least, last year? Was it generally man to man, cover 2, some type of zone? Did they play generally off the receiver by a ton or right up on them? I am just curious to see how that might change with Vincent replacing the faster Winfield in the defensive backfield.:idunno:

Corners 5-7 yards off the line. Safeties providing cover clouds in the outfield or one on one with a TE.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I think Vincent is a pretty physical corner.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
I think Vincent is a pretty physical corner.

Since when? Bobby Taylor was more so physical and Vincent never had to be with Dawkins behind him.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Since when? Bobby Taylor was more so physical and Vincent never had to be with Dawkins behind him.

Since I watched Vincent in the playoffs last year.:idunno:

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Wasnt Dawkins hurt?

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Wasnt Dawkins hurt?

I dunno but I know Vincent is a physical corner. He's has almost the same amout of tackles as Winfield over the years. Also here is a quote from his d-coordinator from the Eagles.

"He's a complete corner, a physical corner, good on the run support, good hands, smart,'' explains Jim Johnson, Defensive Coordinator of the Eagles. "From what I've seen, he's as good as any corner in the game.''
http://www.abconvention.com/keynote.html

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 12:56 PM

I dunno but I know Vincent is a physical corner. He's has almost the same amout of tackles as Winfield over the years. Also here is a quote from his d-coordinator from the Eagles.

http://www.abconvention.com/keynote.html

Maybe Im wrong I just dont recall him as a guy who got up in your grill and jammed you at the line. I know Nate is not that type of player.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Maybe Im wrong I just dont recall him as a guy who got up in your grill and jammed you at the line. I know Nate is not that type of player.

Your right I don't see Nate as the type of corner jamming a guy at the line but he isn't bad in rupport though.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 01:05 PM
If he tackles like he did last season he wont be any good I remeber him being shoved off by a stiff arm from a smaller WR. Dont remeber which game.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 01:11 PM
If he tackles like he did last season he wont be any good I remeber him being shoved off by a stiff arm from a smaller WR. Dont remeber which game.

That may be so but when he wants to he is a good tackler. I go back to when he about decapitated Tom Brady and when he leveled Tim Dwight a few years ago.

DraftBoy
05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
He needs to concentrate more it seems to me too often does he miss tackles and then makes A great one.

The Spaz
05-21-2004, 01:34 PM
He needs to concentrate more it seems to me too often does he miss tackles and then makes A great one.

True.:up: