PDA

View Full Version : If DB has a good year I think Losman should go to NFL Europe next year.

BillsFanInMass
05-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I think he would gain alot of experience there. If Drew has a good year then Losman will still be a backup in 05 so at least he would gain some playing time. Besides then i would have a reason to watch NFLE. What do you guys think?

Bled2Hen
05-23-2004, 10:25 AM
i agree!

The Spaz
05-23-2004, 10:29 AM
I haven't seen to many teams send their #1 pick to NFLE.

BillsFanInMass
05-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Good point Spaz there would be the risk of him getting hurt too .

B-DON
05-23-2004, 12:06 PM
he's our #2 pick

ShadowHawk7
05-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I haven't seen to many teams send their #1 pick to NFLE.

Very true, and I think a first rounder should be talented enough and not have to go to a "farm league" to hone his skills. Although, I defintely think NFLEL is way under used. Instead of signing undrafted FA and others to go to NFLEL we should of sent some players currently on our roster already. Players like
Travis Brown, Joe Burns, Clarence Coleman,
Sam Aiken, Ryan Nuefeld, Mike Pucillo,
Justin Bannan, Laverne Sape, Mario Haggan, and Josh Stamer.

This would give them much needed expirence, although the would miss some minicamps.

The Spaz
05-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
he's our #2 pick

Still a 1st round pick.

TedMock
05-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

Very true, and I think a first rounder should be talented enough and not have to go to a "farm league" to hone his skills. Although, I defintely think NFLEL is way under used. Instead of signing undrafted FA and others to go to NFLEL we should of sent some players currently on our roster already. Players like
Travis Brown, Joe Burns, Clarence Coleman,
Sam Aiken, Ryan Nuefeld, Mike Pucillo,
Justin Bannan, Laverne Sape, Mario Haggan, and Josh Stamer.

This would give them much needed expirence, although the would miss some minicamps.

The ability to "bring them up" would be cool, too. I'd like to see it used the way the NHL does with it's other leagues. Somebody gets hurt; you move a guy up. It would keep them in game shape and give the guys who aren't quite ready a little taste of the big show every now and then.

Novacane
05-23-2004, 04:49 PM
He won't be going to NFLE. Projects get sent to NFLE. Not #1 picks

Dozerdog
05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
It's team philosophy. Some teams take NFLE more seriously -

Look at the Pats- they sent their 2nd stringer- Rohan Davie- The Cowboys sent Chad Hutchison- then again- neither team loses anything if they get hurt. The Buccaneers lost QB Joe Hamilton a few years ago to a severe injury- and he was setting the league n fire up until he got hurt.

No way they send a multi-million dollar project there. You want a bunch of practice squad rejects protecting his blind side?

ShadowHawk7
05-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Good point Dozer. I wish the Bills would take NFLEL more seriously though.

JefftheBillsfan
05-23-2004, 06:37 PM
no way.

Sabre Ally
05-23-2004, 07:11 PM
They should ship Pucillo there and forget about him. :snicker:

Dozerdog
05-23-2004, 07:15 PM
If the Bills were to take NFLE seriously- ship Aiken, Travis Brown, Antonio Brown, Lavale Sape, and some other players occupying the bottom 5-6 slots on the roster there. They don't play nearly enough in the regular season to get "tired" of back to back seasons.

The Spaz
05-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Teams in general don't take NFLE seriously. If teams did start sending their primary backups then NFLE would also be worth watching. I don't watch NFLE most of the time because Joe Schmo won't be on that teams roster by the start of the season most of the time.

Dozerdog
05-23-2004, 07:23 PM
I've said t a million times- if the NFL really made an attempt at a viable development league thay played in the spring/summer- it would be big here.

8-10 games in May/June/July in non-NFL cities - maybe with some bye weeks mixed in to allow for mini camps.

Dantheman1280
05-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I would not ship Losman off, but some off the young guys stated before sound like great NFLE projects!

SeatownBillsFan21
05-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Dozer that is the best idea ive ever heard they should do that ld watch 4sho.GO BILLS

Turf
05-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
I think he would gain alot of experience there. If Drew has a good year then Losman will still be a backup in 05 so at least he would gain some playing time. Besides then i would have a reason to watch NFLE. What do you guys think?

This is the dumbest thing anyone ever said in here. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What are you thinking?

The_Philster
05-23-2004, 09:27 PM
How's it that dumb an idea? The only negative would be the possibility of an injury over there..he'd gain some valuable experience which should help his career. You want dumb, try on the idea that Ruben Brown should have his number retired.

finsrclowns
05-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Turf

This is the dumbest thing anyone ever said in here. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What are you thinking?

Dumbest thing? Hardly the dumbest ever. I've only been here a short time and I've read plenty dumber. The fact is it all depends what you consider the bigger risk. Sure there's a risk of injury sending Losman over to a league with pretty weak talent overall. Maybe the risk is too high for such a high pick but I'm not so sure about that.

But on the other hand I'd say the competition in NFLE is a far cry from playing Army, Navy and TCU, wouldn't you? The jump from a middle level college program to the pro's is huge. 1st year starting QB's generally struggle anyway, but how much help would a season in NFL Europe do to reduce that? In other words the risk in NOT sending him is the risk that you waste a year while he learns on the job. Think NFL Europe helped Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme?

ShadowHawk7
05-23-2004, 10:23 PM

Woah, did you take your pills this morning?? :eek:

TigerJ
05-23-2004, 10:44 PM
I don't think it is a terrible idea. That said, it's not going to happen. There is probably no more risk of injury than in college, but NFL teams tend to treat first round picks with kid gloves. He represents too big an investment to take any chance that he might be injured away from the NFL.

SABURZFAN
05-24-2004, 02:55 AM
i wouldn't send losman to Europe.too many things can happen and we wasted enough to get him in the draft.

Turf
05-24-2004, 07:15 AM
OK I went over the edge with the dumbest remark, no personal attack meant.
I should have said it's the most ludicrous thing I've seen posted, maybe ever.
It makes absolutely no sense. No way. Aint gonna happen. Not in a thousand years.
Not one NFL team has ever sent their first round draft choice QB to NFL Europe in his 2nd season.
Why?
Wasting his arm, he'd be too tired to play two seasons in a row. Remember Moorman lost his punting leg the first year he was here?
Two, he may get injured.
Three, it's a kick to his ego and psyche.
Four, he's the number two QB.
Five he needs to learn to play in the NFL and concentrate on that.

Now you may send one of these other rookie QB's we picked up as third stringers.
But you will never see he Bills send their 1st round QB to NFL Europe. If they do I'll make you a watch.

Goobylal
05-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Losman won't see NFLE unless he's just about ready to be called a "bust." Same goes for any high draft pick.

BillsFanInMass
05-24-2004, 07:59 AM
You guys are right my bad.

Earthquake Enyart
05-24-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm surprised Travis Brown isn't there now.

Goobylal
05-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah really! If Travis Brown hasn't made his way to NFLE, Losman has NO chance of being sent there.

JefftheBillsfan
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
i dont like the idea, and ill tell you why...

i don't want to waist JP's developmental process in NFLE. It might hurt his timing more than you might think. It's obviously a much different game over there. It's not played at NFL speed. I want JP spending his offseasons learning from Drew. Thats my opinion anyway.

The reason NFL teams don't take it seriously IMO is the different seasons. Major league baseball and minor league baseball are the same season, so when your shortstop pulls a hamstring you can call up one from the farm team and he will be in game shape and theoretically ready to fill in. Same goes for hockey. I don't really think there are many cases where players greatly improve their chances in NFLE. Actually, I think its the opposite.The best chance for the player to improve the team IMO is to be fresh and ready for camp.

And as to why it will NEVER happen, the mcgahee factor. if lossman were ever to get hurt, TD would be run out of town. It is an interesting thought, it just wont ever happen, nor would i personally want it too.

McBFLO
05-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
How's it that dumb an idea? The only negative would be the possibility of an injury over there..he'd gain some valuable experience which should help his career. You want dumb, try on the idea that Ruben Brown should have his number retired.

Now THAT was a dumb idea! I agree...if we knew he wasn't going to get injured, why not? But, since we can't be sure he wont, it's not worth the risk.

The_Philster
05-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
i dont like the idea, and ill tell you why...

i don't want to waist JP's developmental process in NFLE. It might hurt his timing more than you might think. It's obviously a much different game over there. It's not played at NFL speed. I want JP spending his offseasons learning from Drew. Thats my opinion anyway.

The reason NFL teams don't take it seriously IMO is the different seasons. Major league baseball and minor league baseball are the same season, so when your shortstop pulls a hamstring you can call up one from the farm team and he will be in game shape and theoretically ready to fill in. Same goes for hockey. I don't really think there are many cases where players greatly improve their chances in NFLE. Actually, I think its the opposite.The best chance for the player to improve the team IMO is to be fresh and ready for camp.

Good point. :up: He'd gain experience over there but he'd behind the rest of he team when it's time for training camp because he would have missed mini-camps and all the offseason workouts with the team.

B-DON
05-25-2004, 01:48 AM
just to prove the injury theory i just read this:

Cowboys | Hutchinson Sacked, Possibly Injured in NFLE - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 20:35:07 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys QB Chad Hutchinson (shoulder), currently allocated to the Rhine Fire of NFL Europe, may have suffered a shoulder injury to his throwing arm during the Fire's 7-6 loss to the Cologne Centurions Sunday, May 23. Hutchinson completed just 11-of-26 passes for 94 yards with no touchdowns and one interception in the game. He was also sacked five times and had three fumbles, one of which was lost. The apparent shoulder injury seemed to affect his play in the second half when Hutchinson began throwing off his back foot.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 04:55 AM
It makes absolutely no sense. No way. Aint gonna happen. Not in a thousand years.
Not one NFL team has ever sent their first round draft choice QB to NFL Europe in his 2nd season.
Why?
Wasting his arm, he'd be too tired to play two seasons in a row. Remember Moorman lost his punting leg the first year he was here?
Two, he may get injured.

Now you may send one of these other rookie QB's we picked up as third stringers.

Well said. Plus he is still playing with and against inferior talent. And he is playing a different system then the one he would play with the Bills. How would this help him? *puzzled*
But you will never see he Bills send their 1st round QB to NFL Europe. If they do I'll make you a watch.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 04:55 AM
Why?
Two, he may get injured.

Well said. Plus he is still playing with and against inferior talent. And he is playing a different system then the one he would play with the Bills. How would this help him? *puzzled*

SABURZFAN
05-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by B-DON
just to prove the injury theory i just read this:

Cowboys | Hutchinson Sacked, Possibly Injured in NFLE - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 20:35:07 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys QB Chad Hutchinson (shoulder), currently allocated to the Rhine Fire of NFL Europe, may have suffered a shoulder injury to his throwing arm during the Fire's 7-6 loss to the Cologne Centurions Sunday, May 23. Hutchinson completed just 11-of-26 passes for 94 yards with no touchdowns and one interception in the game. He was also sacked five times and had three fumbles, one of which was lost. The apparent shoulder injury seemed to affect his play in the second half when Hutchinson began throwing off his back foot.

good find B-DON.:up:

this is the last thing we need to see.keep losman over here.

Big M
05-25-2004, 06:15 AM
It's 50/50 that Losman may be our starter in 2005. If our OL has trouble blocking, then DB loses his starter position and roster spot, due to his cement feet. Easier to replace 1 QB than 3 or 4 Lineman. 4th stringers go to Europe, not your future starter.

NC-BILLS44
05-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Players like Losman need to attend the spring and early summer mini camps. He needs to be here, learning the Bills' playbook and developing chemistry with Bills' players. Going to NFLE gives players reps that they won't get in games in the NFL. Losman needs to get his reps in mini camps with his coaches present. If he went to NFLE, his development process with the Bills would be hindered because he's not learning the Bills' terminology or plays.