PDA

View Full Version : One Passes With a Power Running Game

Kramer
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM
I'd love to see the coaching staff stay committed to a power running game. But exactly what does that mean? Does that mean run twice and pass once in a 3 play series? Run-run-pass, run-pass-run, pass-run-run? Of course not! IMHO power running means that you run a little more than you pass but your play calling is geared toward setting up the pass. In other words, pound it at em' to get 8 men in the box and then nail a WR for a 15 yd gain. More importantly it means chewing up clock, wearing down defenses and keeping your defense fresh. But do not get one-dimensional. Miami acquired many of its' loses at times because they would rely too much on Ricky to carry the load. What do you do in this situation? Bring the LB's and safeties in close. Stop Ricky and you stop Miami. I hope (and think) that Buffalo will not make the same mistake.

Your Thoughts?

The Spaz
05-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
I'd love to see the coaching staff stay committed to a power running game. But exactly what does that mean? Does that mean run twice and pass once in a 3 play series? Run-run-pass, run-pass-run, pass-run-run? Of course not! IMHO power running means that you run a little more than you pass but your play calling is geared toward setting up the pass. In other words, pound it at em' to get 8 men in the box and then nail a WR for a 15 yd gain. More importantly it means chewing up clock, wearing down defenses and keeping your defense fresh. But do not get one-dimensional. Miami acquired many of its' loses at times because they would rely too much on Ricky to carry the load. What do you do in this situation? Bring the LB's and safeties in close. Stop Ricky and you stop Miami. I hope (and think) that Buffalo will not make the same mistake.

Your Thoughts?

Excellent analysis Kramer that's basically what I think Mularkey will have the offense run. I'm telling you Mularkey can provide enough passing and running to confuse opposing defenses see 2001 and 2002 as references.

Kramer
05-23-2004, 06:44 PM
There is nothing more satisfying then watching a defense have to REACT to your offense because you are successful at the run. Bring in the SS for run support? Oooh, do I see play-action? And how about the sweet feeling of watching your team chew 9 minutes off the clock in a run-driven drive. The glorious feeling of the score, knowing that your defense is fresh and theirs is exhausted. Nothing like it!

Dozerdog
05-23-2004, 07:29 PM
They want to impliment a "power running game" not a "predictable running game"

Power running- Packages that will out muscle and wear down teams physically- not attempt to run around them with finesse or misdirection.

This does not mean "No passing"= the two are still intrically mixed together. You still won't be able to do one well without the other.

Good stuff, Kramer!:up:

ShadowHawk7
05-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Seriously, nice debut post. Welcome to the Zone. ;)
I can totally see the Bills running 4 or 5 straight running plays to Henry and Magahee, gaining about 25 yards, then Bledsoe shredding the D by hitting the seam w/ Evans for 50 yards and the score... :drool:

TigerJ
05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
That's good basic football philosophy. It's a great help if you canrun the ball for an average of 4+ per clip though. You can use the run effectively averaging 3.5 per carry, but it's alot more difficult.

Kramer
05-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Whoever gave me the Kramer Avatar THANKS! I was looking for something just like it! :) :up:

BigZ
05-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Good post.

We were very predictable last year under Gilbride (how many times did we run on third down?).

I would love to see smashmouth football again. Run the ball like Shadowhawk said and open it up with play action.

I think MM and Clements will try to accomplish that. The O-Line would love to play run more often. It's also the way I feel an O-Line can come together and jell.

We'll see but I'm optimistic.

Dantheman1280
05-24-2004, 10:38 AM
If Mcgahee and Henry are both healthy and our offense is clicking and I see both of them being happy with their carry amounts!

McBFLO
05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Great topic! If we can stay healthy on the offensive side of the ball, with all the weapons we have, I really feel that they could be a top 5 offense in the entire league. Think about it. Henry and McGahee are going to be a fantastic 1-2 punch. Not to mention the talent and ability at the WR position. We should be one of the best play-action offenses in the league. Evans is the perfect fit for what this offense needed. Then you add Peters and Campbell down near the goal-line....wow! I'm getting excited. I have season tickets too, for my third straight year. Can't wait to start tailgating!

Kramer
05-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Remember, McGahee needs to play BETTER than he did in college. This is the NFL. But considering that he came from Miami, I think that he will do just that. The two-headed monster of Henry/McGahee should be fun to watch. This will take a lot of pressure of Drew and allow him to flourish with constant mismatches in the secondary. Looking foward to this!

thefixer74
05-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
They want to impliment a "power running game" not a "predictable running game"

Power running- Packages that will out muscle and wear down teams physically- not attempt to run around them with finesse or misdirection.

This does not mean "No passing"= the two are still intrically mixed together. You still won't be able to do one well without the other.

Good stuff, Kramer!:up:

:bf1: :up:

imbondz
05-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Kramer

Your Thoughts?

that's why for the past 5 years the Titans have been a contender. They do this very well. They always control the clock, and keep the opposing defense on the field forever. Even though George is only an o.k. rb, and McNair is waaaaaaaay overrated (except for last year maybe). It's also why we lost SBXXV. Perfect run/play calling by :censored:

there's nothing more intimidating and what will wear down an opposing defense more than a team that can get this right-