PDA

View Full Version : Winning Starts in The Trenches

Kramer
05-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Although on average I am excited and optimistic about the 2004 Buffalo Bills I have a lingering concern about the OL and DL of the team. Winning starts in the trenches! The line of scrimmage is where the game is won. The NFC owned the super bowl in the early 90's because they drafted and groomed their teams to dominate the line of scrimmage. Win this battle and you usually win the game. Big physical and talented lineman on both sides of the ball is the key to victory. Now contrast that concept with our present situation on the offensive line. This is indeed an area of concern. My optimism is such: McNally will help this group to achieve to their fullest. They are a great run blocking unit so we will play to their strength. There is nowhere to go but up from last year so hopefully we will win a few more games with this McNally coached line. As for the DL, we are set at three positions. However, the LDE position is a huge question mark. I am still high on Kelsay and believe that he will evolve into a Phil Hansen clone. Shoebel needs this badly if he is to break the 13+ sack mark. The bottom line is that we must control the line of scrimmage if we are to win ball games. The defenses if this league are way to fast to play finesse football anymore. The NFC owning the AFC in the late 80's and 90's proved this.

ryjam282
05-25-2004, 07:41 AM
The game sure has changed a lot since then but I agree, OL is key for us. But we have the big mauling lineman we need. Kevin Killdrive just didn't know how to use them correctly. That is why we failed in my opinion. I hope to see them used correctly this year, as in, RUN RUN RUN. Wear the opponents down and we will be victorious in the end.

ryjam282
05-25-2004, 07:43 AM
Yano, the only game last year I thought this was done right was the game against Washington. We ran the ball so much that game and what was the outcome? We dominated them from beginning to end. Henry had a big day and the opposing D was completely worn out. That is how we should be playing football for 16 weeks next year..

BigZ
05-25-2004, 08:50 AM
It's not very often that I can agree completely with all three posts in a thread.

I've been saying for a long time that McNally will be a huge difference to the offence. It will be the first real offensive line coach most of the guys on the line have ever seen!

Running the ball (like in the Washington game) let's the o-line get into a rhythm. When this happens they also seem to jell. They seem to have confidence that everyone is where they're supposed to be. Maybe that's because when you run block, you are the ones forcing the situation as opposed to pass blocking where you need to react to what the d-line does.

In the Washington game, when they got into their rhythm, the pass blocking seemed to be better too. This was either because they had the confidence in what they were doing or because the d-line didn't have the edge (tired? unsure whether it was another running play? etc.).

I can see us pounding the ball and the line looking good and then really messing up the d with a play action pass.

On defense, I think Krumrie is good and the strides that Schobel made last year is what you'll see from Kelsay this year.

But then again at this point of the preseason, I'm a total optimist.

:phones:

HAMMER
05-25-2004, 11:08 AM
Kramer et al,

You speak the truth about winning at the line of scrimmage. I was very excited about our lines last year and the O-Line certainly disappointed to some extent in the passing game. But, they have a new coach, they have a lot of running to look forward to, that will breed confidence. I firmly believe that Jennings, Sullivan, Villariel, and Williams have the talent to get it done with good coaching and playcalling. Now, if Drew will make some quick decisions..........

BillsOverDolphins
05-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I think the Jet game in December was another shining example of how this offense should be run...yes, Bledsoe was horrible that day, but they just kept giving it to Henry(even on a 4th down towards the end of the game when it was 14-6) and he gave us 169 yards rushing.

McBFLO
05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
Although on average I am excited and optimistic about the 2004 Buffalo Bills I have a lingering concern about the OL and DL of the team. Winning starts in the trenches! The line of scrimmage is where the game is won. The NFC owned the super bowl in the early 90's because they drafted and groomed their teams to dominate the line of scrimmage. Win this battle and you usually win the game. Big physical and talented lineman on both sides of the ball is the key to victory. Now contrast that concept with our present situation on the offensive line. This is indeed an area of concern. My optimism is such: McNally will help this group to achieve to their fullest. They are a great run blocking unit so we will play to their strength. There is nowhere to go but up from last year so hopefully we will win a few more games with this McNally coached line. As for the DL, we are set at three positions. However, the LDE position is a huge question mark. I am still high on Kelsay and believe that he will evolve into a Phil Hansen clone. Shoebel needs this badly if he is to break the 13+ sack mark. The bottom line is that we must control the line of scrimmage if we are to win ball games. The defenses if this league are way to fast to play finesse football anymore. The NFC owning the AFC in the late 80's and 90's proved this.

Like James Carville in Old School..."I have no response to that. That was perfect." Kramer, you are proving to be one hell of an addition to this site. Great to have ya!

Kramer
05-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by pepperkorn

Like James Carville in Old School..."I have no response to that. That was perfect." Kramer, you are proving to be one hell of an addition to this site. Great to have ya!

Thank You. I take that as a great compliment!!

elltrain22
05-25-2004, 02:34 PM
:yankee:

thefixer74
05-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins
I think the Jet game in December was another shining example of how this offense should be run...yes, Bledsoe was horrible that day, but they just kept giving it to Henry(even on a 4th down towards the end of the game when it was 14-6) and he gave us 169 yards rushing.

I agree,I still think we could have beaten KC if we would have stuck with the run.Henry was breaking 10 yarders all day and could have ran for well over 200 yards.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by thefixer74

I agree,I still think we could have beaten KC if we would have stuck with the run.Henry was breaking 10 yarders all day and could have ran for well over 200 yards.

That is just a reflection of Kevin Killdrives "Chuck and Duck" offense.

McBFLO
05-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Thank god we have some competent people running the show now.

ShadowHawk7
05-25-2004, 08:41 PM

Agreed. I also see your also a Platinum Supporter already. Nice job!

Kramer
05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

Again, Thank you! I am humbled by your kind words.

McBFLO
05-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

Huh?

Kramer
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM

Huh?

I think that he as refering to the fact that I am a Platinum supporter.

McBFLO
05-26-2004, 05:37 PM
i see.