X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Kelsay Enters Second Year with Confidence

Ask any coach and they'll tell you a player generally makes the most strides in his second year in the NFL.

"They seem to grow up a bit and they know what to expect," Bills defensive line coach Tim Krumrie said referring to a player's sophomore season in the NFL. "Their eyes are not quite as wide open. They are open, but their not looking into the headlights as much."

As a rookie, adjusting to a longer playing schedule and competing against bigger, stronger, and faster players can take a toll on one's body and mental state.

Fortunately for Bills defensive end Chris Kelsay, that's all behind him now.

"I feel a lot more comfortable and a lot more confident this year," Kelsay said as he prepares for his second season in the NFL. "I feel like it's all going to fall into place."

"As a rookie you've got to improve on everything. I definitely want to improve on my pass rush as well as playing the run. I felt I played the run pretty well last year but obviously I can get better."

The Bills are expecting a strong season from Kelsay, the team's second-round selection in the 2003 draft.

• bills_7
    TIM COUCH IS MY HERO!
    • Mar 2004

he should of got more playing time last yr, he may not be the player we want him to be this yr because of that

Comment

• Kramer
      • May 2004

I am real high on Kelsay. Recall that most draftniks had Kelsay rated as a first round pick in the 2003 draft. Think about it. Would we have received as much criticism immediately after the draft had we drafted Kelsay in round 1 and McGahee in round 2?

Just a hunch, but I think Kelsay is going to shine this year.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i think kelsay will get about 8 sacks.. and give us hope if shobel walks away via FA.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kramer
          I am real high on Kelsay. Just a hunch, but I think Kelsay is going to shine this year.
          i hope you're right.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• McBFLO
            • Mar 2003

I think he's gonna be kinda like a Grant Wistrom. High motor guy who gives all out effort every play. I'm guessing 5-10 sacks.
            Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• elltrain22
              • Sep 2003

I really expect Kelsay to have a productive 2nd season
              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

If he could get about 5-7 sacks, and at least 10-12 tackles for loss, then he will have made considerable progress.
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Kramer
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by elltrain22
                  If he could get about 5-7 sacks, and at least 10-12 tackles for loss, then he will have made considerable progress.
                  I'm pretty much in agreement with this. One of his problems last year was that Jerry Gray rotated him out of the lineup too much. He did not have a chance to gain some continuity and adjust to the flow of the game. For some crazy reason, Gray kept Denney in too much. Expect Kelsay to get a lot more reps this year. If he does then I can see him getting 5-7 sacks. Just like a Phil Hansen.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

I think Denney and Kelsay are going to be pretty good this year.

Comment

• thefixer74
                      Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
                      i think kelsay will get about 8 sacks.. and give us hope if shobel walks away via FA.
                      I hope that dosen't happen,we should sign him 1st to avoid that.

I think Kelsay is going to be alot like Schobel,they both are high motor DEs that are all over the field.

On a side note,had anyone noticed that Denny has added some bulk in the off season.
                      To the world you might be one person,but to one person you might be the world.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

i agree with spaz... i dont hate denny like alot of people do.. everyone pretty much says he is worthless and no good.. i dont agree.. denny has not shown much as a pass rusher, but he was not bad against the run. i think he is right on pace to end up very much like phil hansen, who he was heavily compaired to coming in to buffalo.

as far as signing schobel.. fixer, your assuming that schobel wants to stay or wants to take less money.. with every sack he gets this year his price goes up millions.. if i was in his shoes, i would not sign an extension.. he has been healthy, and there is no reason to think that would change.. he is in line to get something around 15 sacks and be ahead of where javon kearse was after three years.. and will get well over the 14 million dollar signing bonus that winstrom got.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

i agree with spaz... i dont hate denny like alot of people do.. everyone pretty much says he is worthless and no good.. i dont agree.. denny has not shown much as a pass rusher, but he was not bad against the run. i think he is right on pace to end up very much like phil hansen, who he was heavily compaired to coming in to buffalo.

as far as signing schobel.. fixer, your assuming that schobel wants to stay or wants to take less money.. with every sack he gets this year his price goes up millions.. if i was in his shoes, i would not sign an extension.. he has been healthy, and there is no reason to think that would change.. he is in line to get something around 15 sacks and be ahead of where javon kearse was after three years.. and will get well over the 14 million dollar signing bonus that winstrom got.
                          I was hoping I wasn't the only one who didn't give up on Denney yet. I look at it like this a lot of people are giving Josh Reed another year to show something well Denney was drafted the same year and he deserves the same amount of leway. Also Denney quietly had 3.5 sacks last year and really came on strong at the end of the year. I hardly doubt Denney will give the starting job up easily as it appears he definitely has slacked off in the offseason at least physically.

Comment

• B-DON
                            hi
                            • Mar 2004

Bills | Kelsay Aiming for Starting LDE Role - from www.KFFL.com
                            Tue, 25 May 2004 17:58:41 -0700

Gregg Pastore, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills DE Chris Kelsay said he is more comfortable and confident as he enters his second NFL season and is ready to compete for a starting role on the Bills' defensive line. "I feel like I have an opportunity this year to compete for that starting (left end) position," Kelsay said. "I'm going to do everything I can to get my self in shape and take over that starting role."

if he is any good he will ge this job over denney

Comment

• thefixer74
                              Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                              • Apr 2004

All I'm saying is I hope we can keep him.He has been our best D line player for the last 3 years and he is only getting better.We need to keep him,IMHO.
                              To the world you might be one person,but to one person you might be the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X