PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills News

The Spaz
05-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Bills report: Notes, quotes, anecdotes

The decision by rookie WR Lee Evans to wear No. 83 has caused a stir among some Bills fans who think the number should be taken out of circulation in respect to Andre Reed, the team's all-time receiver. The Bills have retired only one number, 12, worn by QB Jim Kelly. Other numbers, like 32 (O.J. Simpson), are no longer issued. But those in an uproar over Evans' wearing 83 are forgetting that TE Dave Moore wore the number recently. At least Evans is a wide receiver with the potential to do Reed's old number justice.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/7358228

Bills report: Strategy and personnel

The Bills will hold another organized team activity (fancy name for minicamp) Monday through Thursday, May 24-27, at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Coach Mike Mularkey, who as a new head coach gets an extra session, has also blocked off 10 days in June for pre-training work.

Attendance is voluntary but only the most established veterans stay away from these offseason gatherings around the NFL. Mularkey's rookie and newcomer orientation camp April 30-May 2 drew 100 percent attendance from Buffalo's veterans.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/7358229

SABURZFAN
05-25-2004, 12:46 PM
some of the diehards will grumble about it but they'll get over it.

McBFLO
05-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the news Spaz.

juice
05-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Other numbers, like 32 (O.J. Simpson), are no longer issued./QUOTE]

WTF does no longer issued mean... He was the best in League History and deserves respect and his place in Bills History.

The_Philster
05-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by juice
WTF does no longer issued mean

It means that no one else has gotten that jersey #

Bill Brasky
05-25-2004, 04:03 PM
He was the best in League History
:lol:

McBFLO
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
I think jerry Rice is the best in League History.

thefixer74
05-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Other numbers, like 32 (O.J. Simpson), are no longer issued./QUOTE]

WTF does no longer issued mean... He was the best in League History and deserves respect and his place in Bills History.

Thurman broke all OJ's Buffalo records,yards,rec,tds.HE is the best in Bills history,#34 not #32.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Personally I don't see the issue of Lee Evans wearing #83. There were a LOT of great Bills players during the Levy years. What are we supposed to do? Retire a half a dozen numbers from that era? I'd retire numbers only for the best of the best. Reed was GREAT but not Jim Kelly caliber in my humble opinion.

Bill Brasky
05-25-2004, 04:44 PM
While we're at it let's retire Todd Collins' jersey too.

juice
05-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
It means that no one else has gotten that jersey #

After holding the single season rushing record for 20 yrs, and along with the other rushing marks he holds, the team should have retired #32 a decade or two before #12.
Originally posted by thefixer74
Thurman broke all OJ's Buffalo records,yards,rec,tds.HE is the best in Bills history,#34 not #32.

You must be holding Thurman's Stash until he's cleared.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by jfreeman
While we're at it let's retire Todd Collins' jersey too.

What about Eric Flowers. Maybe we should retire that number so that the "curse" associated with it would never affect another player.

Dozerdog
05-25-2004, 05:00 PM
There are only so many numbers- unlike baseball, hockey, basketball where you have half or a quarter of the players- in football there are only so many numbers to go around.

Bill Brasky
05-25-2004, 05:01 PM

After holding the single season rushing record for 20 yrs, and along with the other rushing marks he holds, the team should have retired #32 a decade or two before #12.

they should retire his gloves too... to the fbi institute.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
There are only so many numbers- unlike baseball, hockey, basketball where you have half or a quarter of the players- in football there are only so many numbers to go around.

Good post. That is exactly the point that I was trying to make.

ROFLMAO!

juice
05-25-2004, 05:23 PM

What does a Murder Trial 25 yrs after a Players carreer have to do with a Number that for SOME REASON was never retired?

Kelly's #12 was retired soon after his carreer.. There are more RB #'s than QB #'s available so the old "You cant retire that many #'s" doesn't float.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM

What does a Murder Trial 25 yrs after a Players carreer have to do with a Number that for SOME REASON was never retired?

Kelly's #12 was retired soon after his carreer.. There are more RB #'s than QB #'s available so the old "You cant retire that many #'s" doesn't float.

But OJ killed his ex-wife and her friend. I don't care about the outcome of the trial. They found her blood in the infamous white bronco. And why did he run? He is GUILTY as hell!

B-DON
05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Kramer

But OJ killed his ex-wife and her friend. I don't care about the outcome of the trial. They found her blood in the infamous white bronco. And why did he run? He is GUILTY as hell!

i beleive they had a trial and he was found innocent, you might of missed it, so cool with the oj jokes as if we havent heard them all

Bill Brasky
05-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by B-DON

i beleive they had a trial and he was found innocent, you might of missed it, so cool with the oj jokes as if we havent heard them all

yes. the american justice system is the end-all-be-all of decision making.

Kramer
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM

Jury trials follow what is called a "null hypothesis" This means that if the jury has found holes in the the verdict. The plantiff is found "not guilty". Contrary to your belief, this does not (nor ever has) indicated that the plantiff is "innocent". So to summarize, the jury found OJ "not guilty". They did not find him "innocent" I still think that the SOB is guilty as hell. He should have recieved the death penalty. Now the trial could have demonstrated a perponderance of evidence againt OJ, but if there are some holes in the prosecutors case then the jury is compelled to vote "not guilty"

OJ jokes? I am not joking.

B-DON
05-25-2004, 06:26 PM
not guilty=free=innocent

Kramer
05-25-2004, 06:32 PM
not guilty=free=innocent

Then with all due respect, you misunderstand the American justice system. Anyway, we a getting off topic, so I'll stop here. I'll let you have the last word as long as we can get back on topic. It is not fair to the other posters to continue this!

Back on topic please....

juice
05-25-2004, 07:30 PM

You took things in this direction

The Question I Posed was why havn't the Bills retired #32... Yet #12 was off the market within 10 yrs.

McBFLO
05-25-2004, 07:33 PM

You must be holding Thurman's Stash until he's cleared.

OJ's a killer. Thurman is a pothead. Quite a difference to me. OJ did lose a civil trial where he had to pay out millions upon millions of dollars. Not as innocent as you're trying to make him out to be. I mena, this is OJ for cryin out loud!

The_Philster
05-25-2004, 09:01 PM
juice, it took quite a bit to get Ralph to retire Kelly's number. He was against retiring numbers for many years...it places too many restrictions on numbers that can be issued. After the murders, there's no way in hell OJ gets the number retired. Hell, there are people who want his name off the Wall of Fame because of what he did.

As far as his guilt or innocence..after the criminal trial (which I really didn't follow) I believed, to an extent, in his innocence. Maybe I believed it because wanted to believe it. :idunno: Then he completely perjured himself in the civil trial and claimed he never hit Nicole...and everyone already knew otherwise. That right there told me and so many others that he killed her. As a player, there's no denying how great he was...but he's a POS as a human being. :cynic:

juice
05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
OJ's a killer. Thurman is a pothead. Quite a difference to me. OJ did lose a civil trial where he had to pay out millions upon millions of dollars. Not as innocent as you're trying to make him out to be. I mena, this is OJ for cryin out loud!

I never said anything about his Guilt or innocense... I asked what any of the Trial years had to do with his HOF carreer 20 years prior... and why #12 is retired and not #32.

juice
05-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
juice, it took quite a bit to get Ralph to retire Kelly's number. He was against retiring numbers for many years...it places too many restrictions on numbers that can be issued. After the murders, there's no way in hell OJ gets the number retired. Hell, there are people who want his name off the Wall of Fame because of what he did.

As far as his guilt or innocence..after the criminal trial (which I really didn't follow) I believed, to an extent, in his innocence. Maybe I believed it because wanted to believe it. :idunno: Then he completely perjured himself in the civil trial and claimed he never hit Nicole...and everyone already knew otherwise. That right there told me and so many others that he killed her. As a player, there's no denying how great he was...but he's a POS as a human being. :cynic:

Phil, there was a Twenty year period after his retirement that if the #32 was going to be retired it would have been then.

I think maybe the way OJ ended his carreer in SF could have been the deciding issue with Wilson not extending the Honor. I would argue that OJ's #32 should have been Retired around 15 years ago and the Guilt or Innocense of OJ would not have been the obstacle in the way of his place in Bills History.

Last season marked the 30TH anniversary of the first 2000 yard season in League History and many fans might not even know that an All Time Great BILLS back accomplished a feat that would not be equaled for another 20 years.

Many younger League fans might not be aware that the mark was in large part the effort of one of the All-Time great run blocking OL's and that it took a couragous effort as a Unit to make the Electric Co. an Line to go down in history.

Kramer
05-26-2004, 05:07 AM

You took things in this direction

The Question I Posed was why havn't the Bills retired #32... Yet #12 was off the market within 10 yrs.

Actually you make a really good point. OJ was NOT in trouble with the law 10 years after he retired. So why wasn't his jersery retired? My guess is that Kelly had a greater impact on his team than OJ did, and that is not to take away from OJ's amazing acomplihments when he was with the Bills.

juice
05-26-2004, 11:52 AM
So why wasn't his jersery retired? My guess is that Kelly had a greater impact on his team than OJ did...

I can agree that Kelly's carreer had a Huge impact on his team, and 4 SB appearances in a row is a monumental feat that the teams in the 70's didn't nearly match.

The teams that OJ played on also didn't come close to the level of talent of Kelly's teams yet OJ managed to rewrite the record books at his position and raised the standard of a great back to a 2000 yd mark that wasn't equalled for two decades.

OJ and the Electric Co. were the League best and one Bright spot of the Buffalo Bills history in the 70's when the team as a whole didn't excel.

I still feel that they were both two of the best at their position in History, But with the teams that OJ played on, and the lack of success of the Organization as a whole. I for one would not have been a Bills fan if not for the silky smooth running style of The Juice.... When he was on the Loose.

#32 should have been retired 15 years ago.