• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Pro Football back in LA?

Associated Press

AMELIA ISLAND, Fla. -- The National Football League would like to have a team back in Los Angeles by 2008, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Tuesday.

Tagliabue said league owners were pushing for a decision on a stadium site by next spring, giving the NFL the time it needs to return a franchise to the country's second largest television market by 2008.

"We're hopeful we can stick to a timeline that would have us make some decisions on a stadium project maybe a year from now in May of '05," he said.

The league, which has not had a team in the Los Angeles area since the Rams departed for St. Louis 10 years ago, has been working with groups representing sites at Carson, the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

"Everyone has been working at this," Tagliabue said. "At some point decisions need to be made."

League owners have made no decision about expanding to a 33rd team or moving a troubled franchise to Los Angeles when and if they come to an agreement on a stadium there.

Indianapolis owner Jim Irsay, who is involved in discussions with community and state leaders about improvements in the Colts' situation, said he was confident of working out a new deal to remain in Indiana.

rest of article:
    The National Football League would like to have a team back in Los Angeles by 2008, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Tuesday.

What do you think...
    Franchise moving?
    or Expansion Team?
  • Kramer
    • May 2004

Let's hope that Ralph Wilson does not pass on before LA gets a team. I hate to sound callous but his daughter would have to sell the team to pay the estate taxes. And this could mean that the NFL (for greedy reasons) could block any local ownership from acquiring the team so that they could relocate it to LA for greedy motives.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

It's a fear we all have.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

I don't fear the bills moving.

Comment

• Kramer
          • May 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          Just curious, why not?

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Honestly, if a team were to move, I'd prefer it be the Chargers. They started out there and are already the closest team to LA.
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
              WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
              • Mar 2003

LA doesn't deserve a team.

Most football fans in LA moved there from somewhere else, and already have a favorite team.

Is anyone actually born in LA anymore? LOL.
              Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                LA doesn't deserve a team.

Amen- they've already had two. Why should some city that's supported their team have to surrender them to a bunch of pretentious *****s who only bother to show up when the team is winning?

LA had their chance and lost it.

That being said, if the Bills move to LA, I won't root for them anymore.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The_Philster
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  Amen- they've already had two. Why should some city that's supported their team have to surrender them to a bunch of pretentious *****s who only bother to show up when the team is winning?

LA had their chance and lost it.

That being said, if the Bills move to LA, I won't root for them anymore.
                  correction..3..the Chargers started there.
                  The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

I agree. LA has had more than their fair shares of attempts to support an NFL team. I'd rather see the NFL add a team in Las Vegas or even one of the great many cities in Canada.

Comment

• BillsRockSOMUCH
                      Exhausted of Losing
                      • Mar 2004

I live in Canada so I'm a hardcore Bills fan wherever they are.

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        Same here, thurm! If they move, I'll just be an NFL fan! No more pressure!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Kramer
                          • May 2004

If they leave I'll go on a two month bender and when I surface it is time for antidepressents.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Irsay is blowing smoke. The NFL hates being in Indy and would jump at the chance to put the Colts in LA.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                              Irsay is blowing smoke. The NFL hates being in Indy and would jump at the chance to put the Colts in LA.

I’m with EE, Thrum and half with Log!

They’re not going anywhere. I truly believe that. Teams like Minny, NO, Indy and SD are all better options for a move. Hell SD is right down the road.

If they do leave however, I’m starting to get a bad feeling that nobody will do anything. There was a day when I thought that Bills fans would go nuts like the Browns fans but now I don’t know if they would. I know I would.

And if they did leave, they’d become public enemy number one! I’m not going to be an LA Gangsta fan! I would hate the team with every fiber of my being!
                              Resign our own guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X