X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kramer
    • May 2004

What Does Drew Need To Succeed?

You know, I am on the fence as far as Drew is concerned. I am neither a die hard supporter nor a Drew antagonist. What I would like is for him to succeed. After all, those opposed to Drew should know by now that he is going to be our starter know matter what. So I ask, What does Drew need to be successful. Allow me to offer my opinion on the matter.

Drew needs:

1. An OL that can pass protect. Not all of the 49 sacks were his fault.

2. An effective running game. Keeps the D honest and minimizes the potential sacks for losses as well as no-gain incompletions

3. Someone to tell Drew to stop the darn audiblizing to a pass at the line of scrimmage. Drew needs to have confidence in the running game.

4. A speed burner at WR to stretch the field and take pressure off of Moulds and Reed. (aka Evans)

5. An effective TE to handle the hot read. Drew LOVED his TE's in NE and made the most of their presence.

6. Running backs that can take advantage of the dumpoff pass in the event of the blitz. I believe that Henry is capable and McGahee proved that he can do this at U. of Miami.

This is just my 2 cents. I'd love to hear further input on this topic.

Kramer
    Last edited by Kramer; 05-26-2004, 08:15 PM.
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Another good post Kramer, that was more than 2 cents. I agree with pretty much everything on there. About the TE's, Mark Campbell, and maybe even Euhus are more than capable Hot Read recievers for Bledsoe. It's just too bad that Kevin Killdrive didn't know what a Tight End was last year. Mark Cambell was underused and still managed 44ish catches.
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
      • Apr 2003

the offensive coordinator doesnt decide who drew throws the ball to...drew does. given there are primary recievers who are primarily recievers, but drew decided not to dump it to our TE's often.

as far as the original list goes...i think the one major factor is solid o-line play. it was this and moulds's injury that hampered our offense the most last season. i really dont think it was price alone that could have made THAT big of a difference.
      with the tight ends, drew had riemersma and didnt use him much.
      we had a good running game last year and drew still struggled and also rbs that could catch the ball out of the back field.

hence, our only major concerns are our o-line and perhaps playcalling. evans will help, but if our offense succeeds it wont be any where close to 100% thanks to evans
      the dude abides

Comment

• BillsFever
        Mr. Predictament
        • Feb 2003

A new brain.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
          Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
          • Mar 2003

Then why did DB like tossing it to Coates so much, and not Remersma or Campbell. KG always put our TEs into positions not favorable for a quick dump/Hot Read, or just had em blocking.
          "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
          -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

drew needs the following to be successful:

1. all pro Oline inside and out. (he would still take 25-30 sacks though)

2. jamal lewis and barry sanders in the backfield.

3. randy moss, marvin harrison, hines ward, and eric moulds as his top 4 wrs.

4. tony gonzales and jeremy shockey or todd heap as his TEs

5. the most creative offensive coordinator in the league, like charlie weiss.. oh wait.. he failed under him.. ... ok... um... well.. another good OC.

Originally posted by BillsFever
            A new brain.

and that. :snicker2:
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

This year will tell all.

Comment

• B-DON
                hi
                • Mar 2004

herb brooks

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  This year will tell all.
                  i know.. i just hadnt bashed drew in a while.. i felt the urge.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                    Maybe?
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    drew needs the following to be successful:

1. all pro Oline inside and out. (he would still take 25-30 sacks though)

2. jamal lewis and barry sanders in the backfield.

3. randy moss, marvin harrison, hines ward, and eric moulds as his top 4 wrs.

4. tony gonzales and jeremy shockey or todd heap as his TEs

5. the most creative offensive coordinator in the league, like charlie weiss.. oh wait.. he failed under him.. ... ok... um... well.. another good OC.
                    You forgot:

6. Needs to play against teams with defenses that start 50 year old vets who have the flu.

7. All his receivers need to have big, bright yellow signs on them that say "Throw pass here."

8. Other teams' pass rushers have to count to "10 Mississippi" before rushing him.

9. Have a hypnotist convince him he is playing a regular season game against a losing team when playing a playoff game.

10. Attach an electro-shock device in his jock and zap him everytime he holds the ball too long.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                      You forgot:

6. Needs to play against teams with defenses that start 50 year old vets who have the flu.

7. All his receivers need to have big, bright yellow signs on them that say "Throw pass here."

8. Other teams' pass rushers have to count to "10 Mississippi" before rushing him.

9. Have a hypnotist convince him he is playing a regular season game against a losing team when playing a playoff game.

10. Attach an electro-shock device in his jock and zap him everytime he holds the ball too long.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

The big thing he lacked last year was an offensive coordinator who had his head out of his ass. When you give all the receivers extra reads to make, it multiplies the number of reads the QB has to make. When Mularkey took over from Gilbride in Pittsburgh, the biggest change he made was take away those extra reads so that the QB was able to make smart decisions much quicker.
                        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Confidence.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Kramer
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by The_Philster
                            The big thing he lacked last year was an offensive coordinator who had his head out of his ass. When you give all the receivers extra reads to make, it multiplies the number of reads the QB has to make. When Mularkey took over from Gilbride in Pittsburgh, the biggest change he made was take away those extra reads so that the QB was able to make smart decisions much quicker.
                            How many times did you see Drew throw to a spot on the field only to have the WR break to a different location. Philster, you pretty much summed it up. Good post.

My God am I naive. This is my first post about Drew on this site and it has spawned a lot of emotion for/against him. I should hve known better. Like i said, I am neutral about Drew but wanted to brain drain to see what factors could help his performance.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kramer
                              My God am I naive. This is my first post about Drew on this site and it has spawned a lot of emotion for/against him. I should hve known better. Like i said, I am neutral about Drew but wanted to brain drain to see what factors could help his performance.
                              This is nothing yet.
                              Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X