PDA

View Full Version : Larger Role For Tight Ends?

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/campbell527_subsq.jpgIn 2003 the tight end position looked like a forgotten one in the Bills' offensive philosophy. Mark Campbell, Dave Moore, and Ryan Neufeld combined to represent just 15 percent of the offense's receptions and 15 percent of the team's total receiving yards. Yet at the same time they also accounted for more than a quarter of the team's scoring, not counting Rian Lindell's points. Imagine if the tight ends were used more, particularly in the red zone.

The approach in 2004 figures to be different with new head coach Mike Mularkey and new offensive coordinator Tom Clements. Campbell and Neufeld are encouraged by what they're seeing in the spring workouts.

"Some of what we'll be doing will be the same, but there are a lot of different wrinkles, so schematically there are going to be some different things," said Campbell.

"I think we probably will have a bigger role (this year)," said Neufeld who currently holds the backup tight end role. "I think we'll do a lot of two tight end sets, and provide good flexibility because the second tight end could be spread out or in the slot running routes, or taking on the responsibility of the fullback position."

With a greater focus expected on running the football there's certainly the potential for more two tight end sets, but Campbell cautions that the coaching staff is still evaluating talent.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=244292

buffmaniac
05-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I find this quote quite interesting.

"If we get more offensive plays then we're going to be able to work in play action more," said Campbell. "We didn't have any play action a year ago. Last year there was a lot of stuff downfield, and I'm not running any 4.5s, so this is probably a little more my style."

Gilbride was such an idiot. How can you not have any play-action? Thank God he is gone.

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by buffmaniac
I find this quote quite interesting.

"If we get more offensive plays then we're going to be able to work in play action more," said Campbell. "We didn't have any play action a year ago. Last year there was a lot of stuff downfield, and I'm not running any 4.5s, so this is probably a little more my style."

Gilbride was such an idiot. How can you not have any play-action? Thank God he is gone.

Amen!

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Two TE :up:

Let's run the damn ball, then play-action.

tomdonahoe
05-27-2004, 10:21 AM
I still think they will run mainly out of a 3 wide set. I also think Euhus might start over Campbell. Depends on who is the better blocker.

One thing about Campbell is that this guy holds on to the ball. Remember that catch (Can't recall who it was against, Jax?) where he got the lumber handed to him and he still held on. Great play.

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
I still think they will run mainly out of a 3 wide set. I also think Euhus might start over Campbell. Depends on who is the better blocker.

One thing about Campbell is that this guy holds on to the ball. Remember that catch (Can't recall who it was against, Jax?) where he got the lumber handed to him and he still held on. Great play.

Yeah that was awesome, Campbell got crushed in the Jaxonville game by Rashean Mathis.

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2004, 10:30 AM
I would like to see us mix it up, like what the Redskins used to do under Gibbs before. Play smashmouth 2 or even 3 TE, then go 3 or 4 wide..... Mix it up, but have more power running.

ShadowHawk7
05-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Campbell, and Euhus both look very solid as a one-two TE set right now, w/ Peters and Nuefeld not too far behind. But it may be hard to get em' solid playing time w/ the talent we have in our WR corps and in the Volcano.

justasportsfan
05-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Campbell, Neufeld, Euhus, Peters. That's a lot of depth in that position. I see Peters amking the team because he could possibly play at OL.
"If we get more offensive plays then we're going to be able to work in play action more," said Campbell. "We didn't have any play action a year ago. Last year there was a lot of stuff downfield, and I'm not running any 4.5s, so this is probably a little more my style." This could be a sign that MM is using plays based on the players abilities and not making players do what they can't do.

Earthquake Enyart
05-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Put Peters next to big Mike and run an H-back in motion to that side and just steamroller people. :up:

TedMock
05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe

I don't know much about Euhus, but Campbell's known strength's were that of a blocker. His great hands last season were an added bonus.

McBFLO
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
I cant see Peters getting cut. This guy is eventually going to become our #1 TE in my opinion. The guy is HUGE, has pretty good speed (esp. for his size), good hands, and is a strong blocker. What more could you want? With Mularkey being a former TE himself, he is going to tutor this guy and Peters will eventually become a very solid starting TE.

Kramer
05-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
I cant see Peters getting cut. This guy is eventually going to become our #1 TE in my opinion. The guy is HUGE, has pretty good speed (esp. for his size), good hands, and is a strong blocker. What more could you want? With Mularkey being a former TE himself, he is going to tutor this guy and Peters will eventually become a very solid starting TE.

I agree. He was supposed to (be projected to) go in the 3rd-4th rounds by many draftniks but supposedly off field and character issues made him slip right out of the draft. I think he is an excellent pickup and should prosper.

Goobylal
05-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Peters apparently ran as low as a 4.78 40-yard. At 340#, that's incredible! Imagine how much faster and more athletic he'd be after losing 20# of fat. Also that one-handed catch he made in OTA's yesterday was sick!

B-DON
05-27-2004, 02:56 PM
so do you guys think neufield is a gonner then? i just dont see us keeping 4 te's with all the receivers we have. id rather keep an extra wr then an extra te

Goobylal
05-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I see them keeping all 4 TE's, with Peters being a multi-position player (TE/H-back/FB/OL). It would be risky having 2 rookies as the top backups, so Neufeld stays, and Neufeld has a lot of untapped potential.

B-DON
05-27-2004, 05:35 PM
what untapped potential does neufield have? i thought he was slow and if you cant beat out mark campbell then i see a problem

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
what untapped potential does neufield have? i thought he was slow and if you cant beat out mark campbell then i see a problem

The bigger question should be what's wrong with Mark Campbell? Sure he is the most fleet footed guy but he is pretty solid all around TE.

ShadowHawk7
05-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
I don't know much about Euhus.

He supposedly schooled Wire in a great play in yesterday's mini-camp.

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
He supposedly schooled Wire in a great play in yesterday's mini-camp.

He did watch yesterday's video.

ShadowHawk7
05-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Can't, I have effin Dial-up... Bad connection too... :sadwalk:

finsrclowns
05-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Campbell, Neufeld, Euhus, Peters. That's a lot of depth in that position. I see Peters amking the team because he could possibly play at OL. This could be a sign that MM is using plays based on the players abilities and not making players do what they can't do.

I think Peters will make the team or not as a TE, not as a lineman. That means he's battling with Neufeld for a spot. In a way, how well Euhus does impacts Peters. If Euhus looks like he's ready to take on H-back duties, Neufeld becomes expendable and Peters can find a niche in short yardage and goal line jumbo packages.

Goobylal
05-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
Neufeld runs a 4.6, is the best blocker among the TE's (except for maybe Peters), and had good hands. I don't know about his route-running, but that may be what kept him off the field as a receiver. And Campbell is a good player, but the others guys could be really good players.