PDA

View Full Version : Sam Aiken is a beast

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Sam Aiken has added 15-20 Lbs. of muscle. Chris Brown the Bills Digest editor says he looks like Moulds?!:whatthe:

http://www.buffalobills.com/assets/gallery_image/aiken526_pg.jpghttp://www.buffalobills.com/assets/gallery_image/aikenrc04_gallery.jpg

bills_7
05-27-2004, 03:49 PM
its going to be interesting to see if he can beat out coleman

STAMPY
05-27-2004, 03:49 PM
AWESOME... maybe he'll improve and replace moulds one day

Jan Reimers
05-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
its going to be interesting to see if he can beat out coleman

In a heartbeat. Aiken has the potential to be a big time receiver.

tomdonahoe
05-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Looks like Moulds but without the speed or athletic ability. I like Aiken alot as a possession receiver though.

TigerJ
05-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Has he gotten any faster? In the past, strength was a pretty important factor with coprnerbacks and wide receivers kind of pushing and shoving each other as they ran down the field together. Moulds has been great at that. I wonder if the leagues intentions to interpret the rules on coverage more strictly in favor of the receiver will devalue the importance of strength

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Has he gotten any faster?

I don't know but I didn't think he was that slow before. Actually I just looked it up he ran a 4.55 at the combine last year.

Jan Reimers
05-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Has he gotten any faster?

No, but he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

tomdonahoe
05-27-2004, 04:12 PM
I put on 15 - 20 lbs. just like Aiken did. A strict routine of pizza and beer was the key.

Jan Reimers
05-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
I put on 15 - 20 lbs. just like Aiken did. A strict routine of pizza and beer was the key.

Are YOU any faster? Or only - like me - to the refrigerator?

Goobylal
05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Aiken is 6'2" and was 204# last year. Are you telling me he's up to 220#-225#?! Hopefully he was able to get his body fat down and get faster.

BillsOverDolphins
05-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

No, but he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
:lolcry:

The Natrix
05-27-2004, 05:51 PM
I think he is going to develop nicely, and him and Evans will be the top 2 once Moulds is gone. Hopefully Reed will accept a career role as the Bills slot receiver.

Kramer
05-27-2004, 06:06 PM

:rofl: Me too! I'm going on a cruise tommorow. Add an extra 5 lbs to the scale! My two buddies and I wanna see if we can ring up a $600 bar tab over three days. Add an extra 3 lbs for that!

ShadowHawk7
05-27-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm still not sure about him. An established poster, I forgot who, said he ran just under a 4.65 at most of his 40 times. If he could get it to a 4.55 that'd be great. I still have high hopes for Coleman, as he's had a terrific offseason according to a past article. Don't forget Bobby SHaw either. Man, I think we really could have the best WR corps in the league, and possibly the best RB tandem too. :drool: Hopefully DB and the Oline can step it up.

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Sam Aiken ran a 4.55 at last year's combine.

finsrclowns
05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
The thing is...unless he's ready to replace Shaw, what difference will the extra weight or anything else really matter for this season? Unless there are injuries 5th receivers play a lot in practice not games. Shaw could be the best # 4 receiver in the league so I don't see him moving ahead of him. He makes the team but that's about it.

TigerJ
05-27-2004, 08:39 PM
As with a lot of players there are a lot of reported 40 times floating around. The one I'm familiar with is reported on NFL.com I've read stories from his college days that peg him at 4.5. The NFL lists him at 4.64-4.65.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/aiken_sam

DraftBoy
05-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Shaw could easily be beat out. He was a hell of a WR last year but the NFL is always what have you done for me lately type of a buisness. If Aiken, Evans, and Coleman or somebody elses impresses. Dont be surprised to see Shaw go bye bye

elltrain22
05-27-2004, 09:08 PM
That would be such an unexpected contribution, but I think he could possibly step it up for maybe 40 catches this year.

ShadowHawk7
05-27-2004, 09:17 PM
As with a lot of players there are a lot of reported 40 times floating around. The one I'm familiar with is reported on NFL.com I've read stories from his college days that peg him at 4.5. The NFL lists him at 4.64-4.65.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/aiken_sam

THATS where I heard it from! I wonder which one is right. That one digit, (4.55 or 4.65) could make or break his next season.

The Spaz
05-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
THATS where I heard it from! I wonder which one is right. That one digit, (4.55 or 4.65) could make or break his next season.

Game speed is more impotant to me than track speed.

The Natrix
05-28-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Shaw could easily be beat out. He was a hell of a WR last year but the NFL is always what have you done for me lately type of a buisness. If Aiken, Evans, and Coleman or somebody elses impresses. Dont be surprised to see Shaw go bye bye

I would happily say bye bye to Shaw. Moulds, Evans and Reed are the undisputed 1-3, I don't care what anyone says. Therefore, is there really a significant drop-off whether it is Aiken or Shaw or Coleman at number four? The #5 never sees the field, so why not let our 4th rounder develope instead of keeping around a Bobby Shaw who had a place on last year's team, but has no place for this coming season?

The Natrix
05-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

(4.55 or 4.65)

who cares? How fast is Jerry Rice's 40 time?

Thailog80
05-28-2004, 06:45 AM
Lets hope he leaves a lot of DB's Aiken.

Goobylal
05-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

I would happily say bye bye to Shaw. Moulds, Evans and Reed are the undisputed 1-3, I don't care what anyone says. Therefore, is there really a significant drop-off whether it is Aiken or Shaw or Coleman at number four? The #5 never sees the field, so why not let our 4th rounder develope instead of keeping around a Bobby Shaw who had a place on last year's team, but has no place for this coming season?
Shaw is an experienced veteran, unlike all but Moulds. IOW he's good depth.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Shaw returns kicks. Aiken doesn't. Aiken's not a Bill when they line up against Jacksonville in the opener.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Shaw returns kicks. Aiken doesn't. Aiken's not a Bill when they line up against Jacksonville in the opener.

Wrong and I'll bet all my ZB's that he will be on the team. Are you willing to do that? Besides did Shaw return kicks last year?

Forward_Lateral
05-28-2004, 07:40 AM
If Aiken doesn't make the team, I'll eat my hat.

I never saw Shaw return a kick last year, maybe an onside kick?

SABURZFAN
05-28-2004, 07:43 AM
judging from the pictures,it doesn't appear that he got too muscle-bound.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 09:05 AM

I said that last year...the kid ran horrible patterns in preseason last year...he's got bust written all over him...maybe with the change of coaching...but I don't think he makes a big impression on this team...

call me when he has 30 grabs and is playing the #3 regularly.

justasportsfan
05-28-2004, 09:14 AM
From what i've seen at camp and the little time they spent at games last year , Coleman has looked better than Aiken. There were times that I thought it was Moulds making one catch after another from Drew at camp in tight coverage only to find out it was Coleman.
Aiken may have added some bulk but Coleman has been working out on his speed. It would be interesting to see them battle it out.

The Natrix
05-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

"Happily" was a bad choice of words. :drinker:

I guess I would be indifferent. If he gets beat out, so be it.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I said that last year...the kid ran horrible patterns in preseason last year...he's got bust written all over him...maybe with the change of coaching...but I don't think he makes a big impression on this team...

So many rookies are stars right away, right?

tomdonahoe
05-28-2004, 09:46 AM
There is no doubt Aiken and Shaw will be on the roster next year. Why? Aiken was a fourth round pick who missed his rookie year. Shaw is a cheap dependable veteran who had the best year of his young career last year. He caught freakin 50 balls last year as the third option in a terrible offense.

I swear some of the people on this board don’t have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Lets cut Kelsay after Shaw and Aiken.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 09:48 AM
There is no doubt Aiken and Shaw will be on the roster next year. Why? Aiken was a fourth round pick who missed his rookie year. Shaw is a cheap dependable veteran who had the best year of his young career last year. He caught freakin 50 balls last year as the third option in a terrible offense.

I swear some of the people on this board don’t have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Amen!:up::beers:

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 10:21 AM
The only way for Aiken to make the team is if they cut Brown and keep 5 WR. If they cut Brown, then Shaw and/or Clemens run back kicks. I don't think they want to do this.

Given Brown's speed, and having a new ST coach, my money is on them keeping Brown and dumping Aiken.

4th round pick. BFD. If you go back to last year, you'd probably find that half of the guys drafted in the 4th round have already been cut.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 10:28 AM
The only way for Aiken to make the team is if they cut Brown and keep 5 WR. If they cut Brown, then Shaw and/or Clemens run back kicks. I don't think they want to do this.

Given Brown's speed, and having a new ST coach, my money is on them keeping Brown and dumping Aiken.

4th round pick. BFD. If you go back to last year, you'd probably find that half of the guys drafted in the 4th round have already been cut.

Dp you want to take my bet or not?

DraftBoy
05-28-2004, 10:29 AM

The NFL is all what have you done for me lately I dont care what he did last year. We were horrible last year. If he gets beaten out he will be cut. Some people overvalue Shaw way too much on this board.:lastyr:

DraftBoy
05-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz

he's scurred :woot:

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
he's scurred :woot:

I think so.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 10:34 AM

Sure. I'll bet you whatever zone bucks you have.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Sure. I'll bet you whatever zone bucks you have.

One addition barring injury.:up: Prepare to lose the zone bucks you never earned:snicker:

Tatonka
05-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
That would be such an unexpected contribution, but I think he could possibly step it up for maybe 40 catches this year.

if aiken caught 40 passes, we either have some serious injuries, or a horrible offense that is not living up to what it promised.

hogwash. your crazy about aiken not making the team. and when the hell was shaw returning kicks for us? aiken is as fast as shaw.. hell, put him back there.

4th round "bust" ? after his rookie year as a wr? your joking right.. you must be.. nevermind.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 11:12 AM
So many rookies are stars right away, right?

I never said that...but players show something or they don't. We used to criticize Moulds in the first two years but he showed he could run routes and could catch in traffic...Aiken is like Denney...you just don't see it there.

ShadowHawk7
05-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
From what i've seen at camp and the little time they spent at games last year , Coleman has looked better than Aiken. There were times that I thought it was Moulds making one catch after another from Drew at camp in tight coverage only to find out it was Coleman.
Aiken may have added some bulk but Coleman has been working out on his speed. It would be interesting to see them battle it out.

Agreed. Good post. I think this guy needs a little more recognition.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I never said that...but players show something or they don't. We used to criticize Moulds in the first two years but he showed he could run routes and could catch in traffic...Aiken is like Denney...you just don't see it there.

I'm just saying people give up on players way too early especially after a guys rookie year, that just doesn't makle any sense.

Tatonka
05-28-2004, 11:17 AM

i think that is crap.. if moulds showed he could run routes and catch in traffic, then he would have played more. you cant judge anything from a receiver from one rookie season when you saw him briefly in a few preseason games.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i think that is crap.. if moulds showed he could run routes and catch in traffic, then he would have played more. you cant judge anything from a receiver from one rookie season when you saw him briefly in a few preseason games.

I don't but pro coaches and talent evaluators do. Once Moulds got hurt Aiken should have been given a chance, no? Even Tucker and Puke-chill-o got significant time last year...compare Aiken to Andre Reed (another 4th rounder I believe) and show me where Aiken has it. On a team that wasn't going far Aiken could cut the line up.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 11:29 AM

BTW, I believe Moulds was also on a team with A. Reed and Q. Early...who the hell did Aiken have to compete with for playing time?

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 11:30 AM
I don't but pro coaches and talent evaluators do. Once Moulds got hurt Aiken should have been given a chance, no? Even Tucker and Puke-chill-o got significant time last year...compare Aiken to Andre Reed (another 4th rounder I believe) and show me where Aiken has it. On a team that wasn't going far Aiken could cut the line up.

Aiken would hav eplayed more when Moulds got hurt but Aiken was also hurt.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=216171&dsp=press

tomdonahoe
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Aiken didn't even have a rookie year. This upcoming season is like his rookie year. Practically red-shirted last year and then cut this year?? What?

I stiil think the Bills end up keeping 6 or 7 Wr's.
Moulds, Reed, Evans, Shaw, Aiken, & Coleman.
7th would be Smith returning kicks.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Aiken didn't even have a rookie year. This upcoming season is like his rookie year. Practically red-shirted last year and then cut this year?? What?

I stiil think the Bills end up keeping 6 or 7 Wr's.
Moulds, Reed, Evans, Shaw, Aiken, & Coleman.
7th would be Smith returning kicks.

The only way Aiken makes the team is if they keep 6 WR...they will not keep 7.

Tatonka
05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
i think aiken ends up being the 5th wr.. and there is no way to compair an offensive lineman in his rookie year to a WR.. that is just silly.

and to compair aiken to andre reed is pretty ridiculous as well, imho.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 12:09 PM
One addition barring injury.:up: Prepare to lose the zone bucks you never earned:snicker:

I'm betting you whatever you have. I'm not betting all of mine.

I'm not giving you odds.

Eb's right again. :eek: They aren't keeping more than 6 WR.

So, tell me this. If I can't judge Aiken a buster after last preseason, what justification do you guys have to think he's ok?

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm betting you whatever you have. I'm not betting all of mine.

I'm not giving you odds.

Eb's right again. :eek: They aren't keeping more than 6 WR.

So, tell me this. If I can't judge Aiken a buster after last preseason, what justification do you guys have to think he's ok?

My rational is if the guy turns out to be a bust after his rookie contract is up (some exceptions).

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 12:23 PM
They don't have room for him now. Especially if they keep 4 TE's.

I think they keep Moulds/Reed/Shaw/Evans/Brown

It's Aiken vs. Coleman IF they keep 6WR. They may only keep 5.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure why some of you guys are assuming a WR will be the PR/KR a CB could do that also. I can see Terrence McGee doing it or maybe a surprise like Jabari Greer.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure why some of you guys are assuming a WR will be the PR/KR a CB could do that also. I can see Terrence McGee doing it or maybe a surprise like Jabari Greer.

if they do not need a WR who is a returner then that is more reason why they will only keep 5 WR

...and Greer isn't making the team either...

tell me this...who is the #5 guy? If Aiken is #5 that might be a waste...he might not suit up and if he does it won't be as a contributor...it would have to be a special teamer.

Brown, Aiken, Coleman??? who is it going to be??

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 12:48 PM
You can't teach speed. I think Brown gets the nod.

Don't forget, the Steelers could cut someone we pick up too.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 12:53 PM
IMO coleman, brown and aiken don't add up to squat...I would have taken some cash and signed Curtis Conway for a year rather than those guys...If you are worried about the number 5 receiver than the worry is in the wrong place...

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 12:55 PM
IMO coleman, brown and aiken don't add up to squat...I would have taken some cash and signed Curtis Conway for a year rather than those guys...If you are worried about the number 5 receiver than the worry is in the wrong place...

Im sure TD and Modrak thought the same way when he was drafted?!

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I don't care what # WR he is the point I'm tryign to make is he will be on this team.

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't care what # WR he is the point I'm tryign to make is he will be on this team.

that's fine...I disagree...no prob...

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Curtis Conway is a buster. :down:

And he was a first rounder.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Curtis Conway is a buster. :down:

And he was a first rounder.

Exactly and he did wonders for the Jets last year too!:down:

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Exactly and he did wonders for the Jets last year too!:down:

46 catches?? I'll take the guy trying to be my 5th WR as a guy who had 46 catches last year...did Aiken even play 46 plays last year? As I have said before I would bring in as many vets as possible at or near the minimum rather than a bunch of fodder.

Moulds had 64 (injured)
Reed had 58
Shaw had 56
Aiken had 3 (in 5 games)

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
46 catches?? I'll take the guy trying to be my 5th WR as a guy who had 46 catches last year...did Aiken even play 46 plays last year? As I have said before I would bring in as many vets as possible at or near the minimum rather than a bunch of fodder.

Moulds had 64 (injured)
Reed had 58
Shaw had 56
Aiken had 3 (in 5 games)

Yes last year was a waste. I'm not sure what your getting at the guy was on IR most of the year of course he didn't have numbers.

finsrclowns
05-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Moulds had 64 (injured)
Reed had 58
Shaw had 56
Aiken had 3 (in 5 games)

Conway came in as a #2 receiver with the Jets and was demoted because of drops and he's because lost a step plus. The 5th receiver HAS to be a developmental player because in all likelihood he won't be playing much or at all so why tie up even vet min money on a guy that may not even dress?

BTW, I think we will keep 6 receivers as we did last year. I also believe Aiken is in a three way battle for 2 spots with Coleman and Brown. Brown is fast but he was a huge disapointment last year as a returner so unless he blows doors in camp he'll be the odd man out.

B-DON
05-28-2004, 03:23 PM
so do you guys think smith is gone then? aiken is here for sure this season

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by B-DON

this is what im thinkin'

Moulds
Evans
Reed
Shaw
Aiken
Brown
Maybe one more depending on there play in Camp

Ebenezer
05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Moulds
Reed
Evans
Shaw
Brown
Aiken (fighting for a spot with Coleman, if they keep 6)

Smith is on the PS.

Tatonka
05-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by B-DON

smith is on the PS i think.

our wrs will be in this order:
Moulds
Evans
Reed
Shaw
Aiken
Coleman

Practice squad - Smith

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Moulds
Reed
Evans
Shaw
Brown
Aiken (fighting for a spot with Coleman, if they keep 6)

Smith is on the PS.

I can't keep agreeing with Eb. :shakeno:

This isn't happening. :cynic:

BillsMan80
05-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Did he get faster? We won't know until we see him at game speed, but he did save 15% on car insurance by switching to Geico.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 06:03 PM
smith is on the PS i think.

our wrs will be in this order:
Moulds
Evans
Reed
Shaw
Aiken
Coleman

Practice squad - Smith

Listen up people, this is the way it's going to play out!:up::beers:

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Who is running back kicks in your scenario?

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Who is running back kicks in your scenario?

My guess would be Coleman and McGee.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Coleman and Aiken are not both making this team.

I don't remember Coleman running back any kicks.

This is why I think they keep Brown. And if they keep Brown, Aiken or Coleman are in trouble.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

The Spaz
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Coleman and Aiken are not both making this team.

I don't remember Coleman running back any kicks.

This is why I think they keep Brown. And if they keep Brown, Aiken or Coleman are in trouble.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Coleman returned kicks in preseason last year along with McGee. Coleman didn't bust any long ones but he was pretty good. What did Brown do to impress anyone last year besides his preseason? Coleman at least is a decent receiver. Brown didn't have 1 catch last year.

Goobylal
05-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Don't forget that the Bills' WR coach last year, Fred Graves, missed all of training camp and pre-season because of cancer, so Aiken wasn't getting any teaching at the position (and neither was anyone else). Then he got injured. Not a good combo, nor is it fair to say he's a bust, yet.