Does Evans Really Need to Catch the Ball to Contribute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kramer
    • May 2004

Does Evans Really Need to Catch the Ball to Contribute?

OK, I know that the topic title got your attention now let me explain to you what I am talking about. Will Evans season be considered a great success if he only catches say 50 balls? IMHO the answer is a resounding yes. But why? 50 balls is very average for a supposed star WR. Is it because we have lowered the bar because he is a rookie? The answer is no. Quite simply here is the point that I am getting to.

If Evans starts commanding the respect of the opposing defenses on the field he will take away pressure on both Moulds and Reed and allow them to make plays. Sort of what Peerless Price did for Eric Moulds in 2002. So perhaps Evans gets only 50 catches this year. Perhaps that might mean that Moulds gets 75-85.

Look at it this way. The analogy is such: You have a great DT on the team that gets very few tackles and sacks but controls his gaps really really well. He may not get a lot of accolades for this but the middle LB behind him absolutely loves that he is going to the Pro Bowl because of him!
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

I agree, but I sure hope Moulds gets more then 75 catches cause we will still need to throw the ball sometimes to be successful.

And if 25 of Evans catches are further then 20 yards downfield then it would be ideal....Strecthing the D is the key. Make the safeties move back so Moulds and Reed can do there things underneath.

Good post.

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

Peerless actually almost equaled Moulds in 2002, but I see what you're saying!

Comment

• ryjam282
        Offical Billszone Starting QB
        • Mar 2003

I know he had almost as many, but Peerless was not a rookie. Lee Evans will be so there will be some growing pains....50 is a good number IMO.

Ryan Withey
        Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
          I know he had almost as many, but Peerless was not a rookie. Lee Evans will be so there will be some growing pains....50 is a good number IMO.
          Indeed.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

He gets 50 and respect around the league and he'll make a run at ROY
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
              • Mar 2003

He'll need to make SportsCenter on half of those 50 catches if he'd want to make a ROY run, with the other stars being drafted. I'd say he'd need 75.
              "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

I'd be very happy with 50 catches, particularly of some of them are deep balls. I do agree it will probably take more than that to make offensive ROY.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kramer
                  Look at it this way. The analogy is such: You have a great DT on the team that gets very few tackles and sacks but controls his gaps really really well. He may not get a lot of accolades for this but the middle LB behind him absolutely loves that he is going to the Pro Bowl because of him!
                  sam adams.

i think evans needs to get around 40-50 catches for 800 or so yards. you dont need alot of catches if most of them are for big gains.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• colin
                    Drew's my hero!
                    • Jul 2002

Evans is going to tear some number 2 CBs a new one.

We all of a sudden have ******ed talent at our skill positions, and with our still good D we are gonna rock.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by colin
                      Evans is going to tear some number 2 CBs a new one.

We all of a sudden have ******ed talent at our skill positions, and with our still good D we are gonna rock.
                      Uh, "******ed" talent? I hope that's something like ebonics for "amazing," kind of like "stupid" can mean "awesome."

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

BTW, to answer the original question, yes Evans need to be able to catch the ball in order for him to have an effect on the defense. No one respects a speedster with bad hands.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                          BTW, to answer the original question, yes Evans need to be able to catch the ball in order for him to have an effect on the defense. No one respects a speedster with bad hands.

All he has to do is show that he can make a big deep catch for say 3 weeks straight then regardless of how many others he catches they are gonna have to respect his speed and hands. So in a sense yes he has to be able to catch but once he proves this he doesnt have to bc the threat will always be there.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            sam adams.
                            My thoughts exactly.
                            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Kramer
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal
                              I would think that 50 catches would demonstrate that he can catch the ball. I don't think 70 in his first year is what is needed for him to make a significant impact.

Comment

Working...
                              X