PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Robbins???

ryjam282
05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Raiders restructure Badger's deal
Raiders G Brad Badger restructured his contract late last week to give the team some cap room. Badger originally re-signed with a five-year, $10.55 million contract that included a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $1.2 million base. Badger took an additional $540,000 bonus and reduced his base salary to $660,000 to free up $432,000 of cap room.

Does this mean that Barrett Robbins could be released? The Raiders will not keep 3 centers on the roster and they won't cut someone they just drafted.....Robbins could become available. I would take him in a heartbeat. As long as he continues his medication he is a GREAT center. We could move Teague to possibly LG, wasn't that his normal position??? What do you guys think of Robbins?

LtBillsFan66
05-28-2004, 08:59 AM
He's the guy with mental problems and missed the Super Bowl in 02.

ryjam282
05-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Right, he has Bipolar Disorder....But he is one hell of a Center.

LtBillsFan66
05-28-2004, 09:01 AM
I won't hold his illness against him. Like you said, as long as he continues his meds...

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Teague was a LT. I don't know if he ever played G.

If Robbins is OK, he'd certainly be an upgrade.

ryjam282
05-28-2004, 09:11 AM
So, if we could get Robbins, we could move Teague back to LT and if he produces well, maybe we wouldn't have to worry about resigning Jennings. He would want some seious cash I am sure.

Jeff1220
05-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Robbins is a good Center for sure. Maybe a move across the country is just what he needs to regain his focus and deal with his illness.

HAMMER
05-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes. I just don't have faith in Teague at Center. We need a mauler, a big beast, a bi-polar beast. Bring in Robbins and move Teague back to LT as a backup. I know, I know, we pay him starting LT money, but you can never have too much depth on the O-Line. Then you get him to restructure next off season.

finsrclowns
05-28-2004, 01:51 PM
How's this for an idea- Pucillo gets the job of babysitting Robbins and making sure he takes his meds. At least then noone could say Pucillo is useless.

Robbins is a season away from the Pro Bowl. Teague can go to the Pro Bowl too- but he has to buy a ticket. Sign Robbins and make Pucillo his nanny.

TigerJ
05-28-2004, 02:17 PM
High risk-high reward. I would interview him to see if his head is on straight now. I would consider signing him, but I'd make sure we kept someone on the roster who is at least competent (Teague fits the bill) to play center in case Robbins falls off the wagon again.

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Robbins also has a pretty serious leg injury too ... I don't think it's a definite that he'll be ready this season.

I don't see the "high-risk" part of the high risk-high reward part. Raiders players have no problem coming public with their complaints and no one complained about him last year. The only risk would be his contract and with his injury and illness, I don't see that being a big issue.

tomdonahoe
05-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Move Teague to the waiver wire.

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
Move Teague to the waiver wire.

I think Teague is our RT in 2005 ... Williams, Sullivan/Pucillo/Tucker, FA next year, Vilerrial, Teague.

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:08 PM
i wouldnt want to take the chance on this guy
could distract the team and if he ever left the team during the season jst think what that would do to our O line

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bills_7
i wouldnt want to take the chance on this guy
could distract the team and if he ever left the team during the season jst think what that would do to our O line

Wouldn't it leave the OL in the same position as it will be if we don't sign him?

By that logic, we shouldn't have signed Takeo Spikes last year because if he got injured, our LBs wouldn't be as good.

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Wouldn't it leave the OL in the same position as it will be if we don't sign him?

By that logic, we shouldn't have signed Takeo Spikes last year because if he got injured, our LBs wouldn't be as good.

u clearly have no idea what ur talking about

does Spikes have mental problems and might leave the team at any time?

Im not saying we shouldnt address the problem im saying fix it and i dont think robbins would fix it

we could get robbins keeping in mind he can leave at any time and we would be back to square one
or
pick up someone else who we know will be there for every practice and every game baring injury

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:26 PM

Im not saying we shouldnt address the problem im saying fix it and i dont think robbins would fix it

we could get robbins keeping in mind he can leave at any time and we would be back to square one
or
pick up someone else who we know will be there for every practice and every game baring injury

Spikes has missed just as many games in his career due to injury as Robbins has missed due to bipolar disorder. Who's the one that doesn't know what they're talking about.

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Spikes has missed just as many games in his career due to injury as Robbins has missed due to bipolar disorder. Who's the one that doesn't know what they're talking about.

kk i see what ur saying but i when spikes was signed he was 100% im guessing..... with Robbins u dont know what he could do

injury and mental problems r two totally different things

i dont know just wouldnt want to take a chance on this guy....

i rather grab someone else

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:35 PM

i rather grab someone else

Who? From what I've seen, Robbins is the only player that may be available who can outplay one of our current lineman (and that's more an indication of poor FAs than a great OL IMO).

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
u never know what could open up after june 1st

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:39 PM
u never know what could open up after june 1st

Post like this are the reasons that I only post here once a week or so now.

I don't know what I'm talking about with signing Barret Robbins ... but you can't name a single alternative that would be better.

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
I don't know about you guys but I would rather have Marquees Sullivan starting than Teague, if we sign Robbins I'd want the O-Line to look like this-

LT- Jennings LG- Sullivan C- Robbins RG- Villirrial RT- Williams

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Post like this are the reasons that I only post here once a week or so now.

I don't know what I'm talking about with signing Barret Robbins ... but you can't name a single alternative that would be better.

why do u put words in my mouth.... why dont u go back in read...... i said u didnt know what ur talking about when ur trying to compare Spikes signing to Robbins signing

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by BillsRockSOMUCH
I don't know about you guys but I would rather have Marquees Sullivan starting than Teague, if we sign Robbins I'd want the O-Line to look like this-

LT- Jennings LG- Sullivan C- Robbins RG- Villirrial RT- Williams

u sure u would want to take a chance on robbins?

BillsRockSOMUCH
05-28-2004, 03:50 PM

u sure u would want to take a chance on robbins?

Yeah I would, he's a risk but he's a great center.

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:51 PM
but you can't name a single alternative that would be better.

maybe there isnt a better alternative

and if worse comes to worse i will take what we have now...... rather then bring him in

HenryRules
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM

why do u put words in my mouth.... why dont u go back in read...... i said u didnt know what ur talking about when ur trying to compare Spikes signing to Robbins signing

Look at your previous quote. I'm sorry, but saying "u clearly have no idea what ur talking about" and then starting another sentence implies that the person has no clue what they're talking about in general.

or

Fine if you think that we're better off with what we have then with Robbins ... but if that's the case, what's the harm in bringing him in on a 1-year deal or a deal with minimal SB and letting him earn a roster spot?

bills_7
05-28-2004, 03:58 PM
u want robbins here
good for u

i dont

finsrclowns
05-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Robbins negatives: leg injury, might flee to Mexico if he doesn't take meds. Robbins positives: he's a top ten center when healthy.

Teague negatives: often forgets that a shotgun snap works best when airborne. Has trouble with blitz pickup. Can be bull rushed by bigger DT's.
Teague positives: Adequate as a run blocker. Only 2 years experience at the position at the pro level so there may be upside. Usually holds his own in one on one pass blocking situations. Versatile player who is capable of playing every position on the line. There are probably at least a half dozen centers worse than he is but don't ask me to name them.

Bottom line: Robbins is a better center than Teague. The majority of the OL problems in the last 2 years have been up the middle. Teague is not the chief culprit but he's no better than adequate. Although he's versatile you could say he's a jack of all trades master of none. He was just extended so he will not be cut. I see absolutely no reason he could not become a relatively expensive backup and move back to starter if Robbins is hurt or goes postal.

SABURZFAN
05-28-2004, 05:03 PM
i feel that robbins is a better Center than teague.as long as the bi-polar is monitored,he should be ok.he does have a family too.i'm sure they'll keep the big man in line.

TigerJ
05-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Asside from the risk that Robbins could go on a drinking binge and decide he doesn't need medicine anymore, there are cases where persons with bipolar disorder suddenly find their medicine doesn't work any more. Their doctors will have to find a different medicine and often by trial and error find the right dossage. I know of one case where it took a couple years for a person with bipolar to get reregulated. When I say that Robbins could be high risk, it was not intended as a slam, nor did I say he should not be considered. I just think the Bills, or any team has to have their eyes open when they consider signing someone with baggage, be it medical or criminal.

finsrclowns
05-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Asside from the risk that Robbins could go on a drinking binge and decide he doesn't need medicine anymore, there are cases where persons with bipolar disorder suddenly find their medicine doesn't work any more. Their doctors will have to find a different medicine and often by trial and error find the right dossage. I know of one case where it took a couple years for a person with bipolar to get reregulated. When I say that Robbins could be high risk, it was not intended as a slam, nor did I say he should not be considered. I just think the Bills, or any team has to have their eyes open when they consider signing someone with baggage, be it medical or criminal.

There is a risk to signing him I'll agree to that. But when your line has just come off consectuive 50+ sack seasons, isn't the status quo a risk also?

elltrain22
05-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Robbins can play, and he really could help us out at Center.

TigerJ
05-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm really not disagreeing with you, finsrclowns. I agree that Barrett ought to get consideration and if the price is right sign him. I just don't want the Bills to be naive about it.

JefftheBillsfan
05-29-2004, 09:57 PM
He would be a great addition, seems to me Teague is going to be on the team next year from a contract aspect, so he could spot in just in case.

Turf
05-29-2004, 10:07 PM
I say we sign Baskin and sell ice cream.

mypoorfriendme
05-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Turf
I say we sign Baskin and sell ice cream.

wow :/

SABURZFAN
05-30-2004, 06:58 AM
in all fairness to robbins,he has a disease in which he appeared that he had it under control for he did a helluva job.it was unfortunate that his lapse happened on the biggest stage of football which created quite an embarrassment.i don't think it'll come to that again.i think the new blood we have on our coaching staff would give robbins a fresh new start where he can continue to play at a high level.his bipolar is no longer a secret either and i think we have the right people that could help look out.not that i'm saying he needs a babysitter or anything.i just think he could help our team.

Canadian'eh!
05-31-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by finsrclowns
Robbins negatives: leg injury, might flee to Mexico if he doesn't take meds. Robbins positives: he's a top ten center when healthy.

Teague negatives: often forgets that a shotgun snap works best when airborne. Has trouble with blitz pickup. Can be bull rushed by bigger DT's.
Teague positives: Adequate as a run blocker. Only 2 years experience at the position at the pro level so there may be upside. Usually holds his own in one on one pass blocking situations. Versatile player who is capable of playing every position on the line. There are probably at least a half dozen centers worse than he is but don't ask me to name them.

Bottom line: Robbins is a better center than Teague. The majority of the OL problems in the last 2 years have been up the middle. Teague is not the chief culprit but he's no better than adequate. Although he's versatile you could say he's a jack of all trades master of none. He was just extended so he will not be cut. I see absolutely no reason he could not become a relatively expensive backup and move back to starter if Robbins is hurt or goes postal.

Very Nice asessment. I agree with it by and large. I just want to add that I know at least 1 person who is bipolar and for the most part it doesn't affect her work. She has many other problems mind you so sometimes it's hard to tell what is going on. My point was that she has good days and bad days in her attitude but she always gets the job done. From what I know about the disease, once your meds are in good balance you are generally ok. The huge stress surrounding the super bowl is likely what set Robbins off. But even a return to the super bowl probably wouldn't trigger him again knowing what happened the last time, plus everyone would be keeping a close eye on him for sure.

I would think that a change of scenery would do Robbins a lot of good if he's ready... the intial move is where i might be the most worried. but if he's ok with it, i think the risk is very low. I don't know anything about his leg injury however.

Teague IS a good tackle. probably better than both guys we had last year. Of course there's no way you can sit Big Mike as this is a make or break year for him. Plus i think that Teague has shown improvment with time at center, but isn't a natural fit there. moving him to guard would be great if he could be productive there, and he would be great at pulling for the run from there, but I'd be very concerned about his ability to handle pass rushers from that spot. Kind of expensive for a backup really. not sure where he would fit in anymore. the bonus is paid so we can't cut him. but i guess as the #1 backup at almost allt eh oline psoitions isn't a bad idea. the line would be a bit fresher int he 4th no doubt.

kdharge
05-31-2004, 08:55 AM
I had emailed tom donohoe at bb.com talking about this same issue .....He is a Pro-bowl player and would be a nice pick-up for us if leg is healthy.......

Canadian'eh!
05-31-2004, 09:23 AM
1 more thing of note here. I just read in the most recent ESPN mag that Robbins tested positive for THG last fall. While Romo got the most attention there were actually 4 players that tested positive. THG was not banned by the NFL a the time, mainly because no one really knew what it was. and only SF players (near BALCO headquarters) had access to it. The NFL is still waiting on a decision on whether or not they can punish Robbins for the test, but there is a possibilty that he could be suspended. (i think it's unlikely myself because it wasn't technically banned at the time of the test)

The Natrix
05-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Robbins would be a nice pickup indeed.

Kramer
05-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Right, he has Bipolar Disorder....But he is one hell of a Center.

I have a cousin that is bipolar and she is 100% normal because of the amazing medications that they have for that stuff nowadays. So I wouldn't think twice about picking him up of he is any good. It is one of the most treatable disorders that you could have. Problem with my cousin for a while was that she was too proud to admit having an issue so she was nutty as a jar of peanut butter for a while. Maybe Robbins has a handle on this thing?

Dozerdog
01-17-2005, 11:39 PM
I am soooo glad we stayed clear of this guy.

I pray that he recovers from the gunshot wounds, but bringing him here (or having him play anywhere) would have been a mistake.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2818595

ryjam282
01-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Yeah, who is the idiot that started this post? :shakeno:

justasportsfan
01-18-2005, 08:19 AM
How's this for an idea- Pucillo gets the job of babysitting Robbins and making sure he takes his meds. At least then noone could say Pucillo is useless.

Robbins is a season away from the Pro Bowl. Teague can go to the Pro Bowl too- but he has to buy a ticket. Sign Robbins and make Pucillo his nanny.
Isn't Pucillo a FA? I hope we don't re-sign him.

The_Philster
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM

Yes he is and I hope that as well :pray:

finsrclowns
01-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Is that even a possibility? :shocked:

Billz_fan
01-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Perhaps we should wait and see if the poor guys makes it out of critical condition from his gunshot wounds before we start offering him tryouts.