PDA

View Full Version : Moving Williams to LG?

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 10:10 AM
I'm not saying the Bills should do this but what do you guys think of this lineup for the o-line?

Jennings-LT Williams-LG Teague-C Villarrial-RG Price-RT

Is this a better line then our current one?

Pride
06-02-2004, 10:13 AM
no... I think it is fine the way it is... why move people all over the place?

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 10:15 AM
B/C this team got bum rushed up the middle last year. The man is the size of guard and Marcus Price can play tackle. Price has proven that.

Disgustipatex
06-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Or probabaly because if Mike Williams is up against a pass rusher worth his weight in crap, he gets schooled?

Tatonka
06-02-2004, 10:31 AM
jennings was a better RT. Price played great at LT.

i would swap them and move williams inside..

but i think we will be ok the way we are.. i have alot of hope for sully returning to the lineup.

Novacane
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
If you're gonna make Williams a guard he was a wasted draft pick. You don't draft guards #4 in the draft.

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
jennings was a better RT. Price played great at LT.

i would swap them and move williams inside..

but i think we will be ok the way we are.. i have alot of hope for sully returning to the lineup.

I agree, its just a thought. However I will be really disappointed if we continue to give up pressure up the middle like last year. Sometimes you have to get your best five out there and I think Price may fit into that group. How ridiculous did it look last year with the folding chair (Pucillo) lining up at guard next to our tackle who was three times his size. aren;t guards suppose to be bigger than tackles?

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If you're gonna make Williams a guard he was a wasted draft pick. You don't draft guards #4 in the draft.

Good point, but our guards stunk last year and we have a good tackle on the bench.

ShadowHawk7
06-02-2004, 10:40 AM
Where did Price come from anyway? How was career before the Bills?

Mr. Miyagi
06-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Where did Price come from anyway? How was career before the Bills?
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4117

He played on the DL before coming here.

B-DON
06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe

I agree, its just a thought. However I will be really disappointed if we continue to give up pressure up the middle like last year. Sometimes you have to get your best five out there and I think Price may fit into that group. How ridiculous did it look last year with the folding chair (Pucillo) lining up at guard next to our tackle who was three times his size. aren;t guards suppose to be bigger than tackles?
guards are generally a little shorter so qbs can see easier through the middle

B-DON
06-02-2004, 10:56 AM

what pick was leonard davis of the cards?

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by B-DON

what pick was leonard davis of the cards?

He was up there. I think 4th also.

TigerJ
06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't think Marcus Price has ever played defence in the pros. I think those sack totals from NFL.com are a little fishy. Two sacks per year and no tackles? I did a little search and found this old article from Bills Report. It says he played right guard and right tackle in a reserve role for the Chargers from 1997-1999. I think he did the same with the Saints. He didn't get a chance to do much of anything with the Jaguars who drafted him. He played mostly right tackle at LSU. He was a two way player in high school though.

http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/39962.html

eyedog
06-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Exactly why they won't move him inside. They would be admitting they missed on the pick and TD's ego is not letting that happen. I hope with McNally's coaching they can straighten out his pass protection.

Forward_Lateral
06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I could see Mike Williams pulling on a running play and letting our RB get killed. Why on earth would you want a bohemith like Mike at Guard? Guards are supposed to be smaller and quicker so they can pull, and like someone already said so the QB can see over them. Big Mike at guard would be like putting Sam Adams at DE.

mybills
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Teague can't center to save his own life. :shakeno: If anyone gets moved, it should be him.

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
Guards are supposed to be smaller and quicker so they can pull...

Guards are suppose to be smaller? What?

Mike Williams is very quick thats why he plays tackle right now.

eyedog
06-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Kind of like Larry Allen at guard or Leonard davis. Don't worry about it because it won't happen. although it would be nice to see someone stop the bullrush into bledsoes face that we saw all last year. Part of that problem has been solved with the all-pro left guard they cut. Whoever goes into that position can't be any worse against the bullrush.

Forward_Lateral
06-02-2004, 01:45 PM

Guards are suppose to be smaller? What?

Mike Williams is very quick thats why he plays tackle right now.

:hammeru: Mike Williams and quick don't go in the same sentence. He plays tackle because he is humungous and SLOW.

Secondly, yes traditionally Guards are shorter and quicker than tackles.

Sorry, I'm still laughing at the Williams being quick comment.

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 01:59 PM

:hammeru: Mike Williams and quick don't go in the same sentence. He plays tackle because he is humungous and SLOW.

Secondly, yes traditionally Guards are shorter and quicker than tackles.

Sorry, I'm still laughing at the Williams being quick comment.
6-5 370 and he runs a 5.2. Boy is he slow or what?

http://ww2.nfl.com/draft/2002/brandt_group1.html
Mike Williams
Offensive Tackle
Texas
HT: 6-5 5/8 - WT: 374
40 time: 5.28 (turf)
D.O.B.: 1/11/80

TedMock
06-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Williams is a RT and he's not moving. Pucillo was so bad last year that Williams had to constantly check inside. Therefore, evertime we faced a good end he couldn't take on both the inside and outside. You'll see with Villarrial there that Williams is quality. He'll be able to go one-on-one with the DE so he'll have a much easier time. The problem with tackles is that if they do their job and help out inside first, everybody thinks the end is beating them. It's unfortunate, but true. Kind of like a corner covering his short zone and the FS forgetting he has the deep zone on that side. The CB looks like they were burned.

Forward_Lateral
06-02-2004, 03:12 PM

Mike Williams
Offensive Tackle
Texas

Pretty sure that he doesn't run a 5.3 40 on the Bills grass, with 15-20 pounds of equipment on his shoulders and head. Again, he's a tackle for a reason, you have yet to state any valid reason for putting him at the guard position.

eyedog
06-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Guard- stop the bullrush that killed Bledsoe and this offense last year. But it won't happen anyway.

SABURZFAN
06-02-2004, 05:05 PM

Mike Williams
Offensive Tackle
Texas

Mikey is that big but he runs an 8.2.:up:

The_Philster
06-02-2004, 06:16 PM
We already moved Pucillo away from RG and I think Sullivan has a good shot at taking LG...the only problem I see on O-line is at C

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Pretty sure that he doesn't run a 5.3 40 on the Bills grass, with 15-20 pounds of equipment on his shoulders and head. Again, he's a tackle for a reason, you have yet to state any valid reason for putting him at the guard position.

I never said he would should move him. Look at the very first post of this thread. Its just talk b/c they will not move him this season. I do think however that he will be moved eventually to guard at some point.

I invite you to do a search and look at all the combine reports on Mike Williams. This is an example of one of them:

Wide-body type with a thick chest and big arms … Has that quick twitch movement ability coming out of his stance, showing nimble feet and good hand rise and explosion … Hits defenders instantly coming off the ball, delivering power behind his arm swipes … Gains position and sustains blocks with a wide leg base and arms extended … Has the leg drive to steer and pin-block the defender … Shows very good knee bend for a player his size … Shows the agility to pull and accelerate at the point of attack … Uses his hands properly to turn the defender and makes smooth adjustments in space to cut off and wall off the linebackers … Very quick to set and extend his hands, delivering a forceful punch and jab on the pass rusher … Has the lateral slide needed to recover when changing direction … Competes and works hard in the weight room … Works well with the offensive guard in picking up stunts with ease … Shuffles his feet well setting up in pass protection.
--------
The point is that he is not some slow big goof out there as you make it seem.

tomdonahoe
06-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

Mikey is that big but he runs an 8.2.:up:

Here is another story out of Texas...

Nunez knew Williams would be in the NFL long ago, but his prognostication was confirmed this season when Colorado visited Austin during the regular season. Freshman RB Cedric Benson took a shovel pass from Simms and then looked for Williams, who is first responsible for the rush end, then, in a testament to his quick feet, shuffles in front of the running back. When the play was over, Benson, who runs a 4.5 40, was only two yards ahead of Williams when he was pushed out of bounds after a 60-yard gain.

DraftBoy
06-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Williams is by no means slow for his posistion or his size. To think this is wrong is to be completely blind and ******ed. Williams was the best run blocker in the class when he was picked. He was said to have needed to work on his pass protection not his run blocking. Also he has plenty of quicks to be the pulling guard. Also it would be a good idea to put a bigger guy on the inside to possibly matchup with those behemoth DT's. Only problem is he's 6-5. Too tall. I like the idea but dont think it would work.

tomdonahoe
06-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Only problem is he's 6-5. Too tall. I like the idea but dont think it would work.

So is Teague and Sullivan. Both 6'5. Mike is 6'6 I think. Drew is 6'5. I don't understand how height is an issue just because he is an inch taller than the average interior lineman. Besides quaterbacks aren't really suppose to throw over the line, they are suppose to throw in the passing lanes created in the a and b gap.

Leonard Davis of the Cardinals is the exact same size as Mike and he is playing guard.

Again, all I am saying is that eventually you will see big number 68 playing guard for the Bills, and hopefully not another team. Not this season and maybe not the year after but eventually he will be moved.

colin
06-04-2004, 06:33 AM
a tackle is a harder role to fill, so we should keep him at guard.

mike has been beaten a bit too much by speed ends, but we pass on stupid downs with poor schemes and bad interior line play. Jennings is no where near the player mike is. Jennings was RT on a line that got Johnson and van pelt hurt badly. they also did not rush for jack *****.

as soon as mike came in Henry looked like he does now, and we have had some big passing games with him blocking, even on a piss scheme. Mike can play, but has some improvement to make.

chubluv
06-06-2004, 10:45 PM
I think Williams is going to stay at RT this year & next year after we lose Jennings to FA he will move to LT & Price will be RT. Theres no way we are going to afford Jennings Schobel & Pat Williams next year and unfortunatly I think Jonas will be odd man out.

Disgustipatex
06-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by chubluv
I think Williams is going to stay at RT this year & next year after we lose Jennings to FA he will move to LT & Price will be RT. Theres no way we are going to afford Jennings Schobel & Pat Williams next year and unfortunatly I think Jonas will be odd man out.

Williams at LT? He gets beaten like a drum at RT, how do you expect he's going to survive against the majority of the better passrushers in the league?

Mr. Cynical
06-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mybills
Teague can't center to save his own life. :shakeno: If anyone gets moved, it should be him.

This, my friends, is why there was a bum rush up the middle. He needs to be moved out of there asap. Make him compete for LT, but for pete's sake get a real center in there.

Ickybaluky
06-07-2004, 04:52 AM
Leonard Davis of the Cardinals is the exact same size as Mike and he is playing guard.

The Cardinals have moved Leonard Davis to Left Tackle, where he is projected to start.

Kramer
06-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by NE39

The Cardinals have moved Leonard Davis to Left Tackle, where he is projected to start.

And the Cardinals a a team worthy of setting examples for the rest of the league on player positioning?

ryjam282
06-07-2004, 07:30 AM
:lolcry:

I know I can't wait to see Emmit Smith playing TE this year too. :D