PDA

View Full Version : Bills Tops in the AFC-East

juice
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
With not much going on in the FO with June cuts, and the Bills needing help in the Pass Rush maybe we could pick up Jason Gildon who was cut. He can pass rush and is a solid veteran with something left in the tank.

I know we seem to be set at the LB position but we still have to address the pass rush or lack of, and there aren't many DE's available... None.

Posey has played DE in the League in the past and was under-utilized in the Pass Rush last year which was his specialty with the Texans with 9 sacks. Since TD drafted Gildon in '94 and is familiar with him would it make since to bring him in for a look... maybe using some defensive sets to have Gildon at OLB and Posey at DE to bring some heat to opposing QB's?

Both are above average at creating pressure and Posey could be freed up from dropping back into pass coverage every passing down.

With the addition of a LB with Gildons ability and Poseys ability to bring the heat to opposing QB's this move could Vault The Bills defensive front into being the best in the AFC-East and this Defense the best in the entire League.

Getting pressure on the other teams QB is key to this "D"s dominance and overall team Wins.

ryjam282
06-02-2004, 12:12 PM
The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....The only team that was higher was the Cowboys last year.

I agree though, if we could get Gildon pretty cheap then I would not see a problem with that but I would still like to see what Kelsay can do when given an opportunity though.

Jared
06-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Depends on how you judge "best". Unfortunately for Buffalo, yards are not a factor in deciding who wins a game.

Points per game:

1. New England 14.9
2. Dallas 16.3
3. Miami 16.3
4. Tampa Bay 16.5
5. Buffalo 17.4

So that would put Buffalo still in the top 5 in the league, but second to last in the AFC East.:cool:

Ebenezer
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....

Originally posted by Jared
So that would put Buffalo still in the top 5 in the league, but second to last in the AFC East.:cool:

This defense was not one of the best 15 last year but they didn't allow opponents to score...that is good...but they were 6-10...Stats are an after thought...they tell part of the story...wins and losses are all that count...after living through 4 SB loses I could care less about stats (except for my Fantasy teams)...win the games...

ryjam282
06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Stats are an after thought...they tell part of the story...wins and losses are all that count...after living through 4 SB loses I could care less about stats (except for my Fantasy teams)...win the games...

Oh so very true. I could care less if we gave up 100 points a game as long as we scored 101.

Jared
06-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
This defense was not one of the best 15 last year but they didn't allow opponents to score...that is good...but they were 6-10...

Could have something to do with the offense being tied for 30th in the league in PPG, ahead of the Arizona [Caution: May Contain Football-like Substance] Cardinals.

juice
06-02-2004, 03:14 PM
The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....

With the addition of a HEALTHY Colvin and Law re-signed I'd have to say NE has the better defense performance wise...

The Question is if Colvin is HEALTHY and Law can be Passified to continue to play at his Pro Bowl level.

I saw on another Board where it was REPORTED on Boston Radio that part of the reason for Colvin's redoing his deal was because his injury isn't completly healed and he may be limited in playing ability.

If Colvin isn't healthy the door could be wide open for our "D" to Shine and possibly steal the East from the Pats...

The reports I saw seemed to point in the direction of limited play for Colvin at best... Maybe Law will turn down his Multi-million dollar contract this year and sit out.

HAMMER
06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ryjam282
[B]The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....The only team that was higher was the Cowboys last year.

That is surely a debatable statement. While statistically we were #2 in the league. I don't think we were even the best defense in our division. It is hard to argue with NE not allowing a TD in the last how many quarters of the regular season at home? They were a better defense than we were, hands down. When the chips were down our D gave up the big scores that won games. I like our D and think it will be better this year but that #2 ranking was a bit of an anomaly.

Novacane
06-02-2004, 04:37 PM
The problem with our D last year was lack of turnovers. That has to change this season.

juice
06-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
The problem with our D last year was lack of turnovers.

A by-product of a lack of pressure.

Italian Stallion
06-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Gildon would be a great addition to this team. Pro Bowl Experience is never a bad thing to add. I like the idea of Posey playing end except, in many situations last year when he did put his hand down, he was stood up and dominated at the point of attack by bigger guys. He needs to add more bulk for that to work.

TigerJ
06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Gildon has been a great linebacker, but as a big guy, I wonder how much he has slowed down as a 32 year old. I would think the Bills have to consider him depending on his asking price, but the odds are he makes the Bills older and slower. He's got to bring enough to make it worth what they are giving up in youth and speed.

cordog
06-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Its a great idea, and in a perfect world it works, but Posey cannot play DE for the whole season. Hes not strong enough to take the knocks on his body game in and game out going against big tackles.

Ickybaluky
06-03-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't think Gildon would be a good fit for you guys, as he has always been a 3-4 player. He is a tweener, not a good fit at LB or DE in a 4-3. I bet he ends up on one of the 3-4 teams. Baltimore has expressed interest in him, and that makes a ton of sense. Houston makes sense as well. Both those teams, along with Green Bay and Cleveland, have reportedly expressed interest in signing him (per his agent).

As for Colvin, he is progressing well and is expected to recover fully. He has been interviewed a lot recently, and is real optimistic about his recovery. That said, it is unrealistic to expect he be fully up to speed by the start of the season. He is going to be brought along slowly, and that type of injury requires a full year to recover in the best of circumstances. Most likely scenario is him not really getting up to speed until mid-season. When you look at players with similar injuries who have recovered, like Deon Grant, it took them some time to return to form.

Kramer
06-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Gildon has been a great linebacker, but as a big guy, I wonder how much he has slowed down as a 32 year old. I would think the Bills have to consider him depending on his asking price, but the odds are he makes the Bills older and slower. He's got to bring enough to make it worth what they are giving up in youth and speed.

TigerJ. Remember the Eddie Robinson experiment? At 32 (I believe) he was supposed to add experience and skill to the OLB position. Didn't happen. Titans let him go for a reason. I think we are going ga ga over Gildon's name and not thinking that maybe he is a washout.

Throne Logic
06-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
The problem with our D last year was lack of turnovers. That has to change this season.

Originally posted by juice
A by-product of a lack of pressure.

Which, in turn, is a by-product of a crappy offense. Teams were generally ahead and played conservative ball control against us. Heck, even teams that weren't ahead played as though they were. There was a total lack of respect for Buffalo's offense (with good reason).

Ebenezer
06-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Jared
the Arizona [Caution: May Contain Football-like Substance] Cardinals.

:spit: best post today

juice
06-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by cordog
Its a great idea, and in a perfect world it works, but Posey cannot play DE for the whole season. Hes not strong enough to take the knocks on his body game in and game out going against big tackles.

Situational use, mostly in Passing downs to bring heat.. Posey has played DE in the League before.
Originally posted by NE39
I don't think Gildon would be a good fit for you guys, as he has always been a 3-4 player. He is a tweener, not a good fit at LB or DE in a 4-3.

As for Colvin, he is progressing well and is expected to recover fully. He has been interviewed a lot recently, and is real optimistic about his recovery. That said, it is unrealistic to expect he be fully up to speed by the start of the season. He is going to be brought along slowly, and that type of injury requires a full year to recover in the best of circumstances. Most likely scenario is him not really getting up to speed until mid-season. When you look at players with similar injuries who have recovered, like Deon Grant, it took them some time to return to form.

Good point about Gildon being a tweener, but he's also an experienced Vet. who can still contribute... Maybe not as a full time starter but he can rush the passer and knows how to drop into coverage... would be an upgrade over Stamer off the bench when Posey goes to DE to rush. He also has a history with the FO.

As for Colvin the "Full year to recover at best" seems like the common opinion and had to factor into his decision to Redo his deal that he just signed last year. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a Sam Cowart case... Not being able to regain form after such a serious injury... Or even worse and more closely injury related Bo Jackson carreer killer. Wasn't Colvin's injury the same as Bo's?

If Colvin is ineffective through most or all of this season then the AFC-E just got alot closer and the Bills seem to be the #1 contender to creep in for a run at the East.
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Which, in turn, is a by-product of a crappy offense. Teams were generally ahead and played conservative ball control against us. Heck, even teams that weren't ahead played as though they were. There was a total lack of respect for Buffalo's offense (with good reason).

Good Point.. But defensivly this year Pressure will be the weakness most apparent on "D"... and that will cost this team victories against the Big Guns in the AFC. No matter how good our defense may play against someone like Peyton... Without pressure he will pick you apart and that offense will outscore you.

Tatonka
06-03-2004, 11:29 AM
The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....The only team that was higher was the Cowboys last year.

I agree though, if we could get Gildon pretty cheap then I would not see a problem with that but I would still like to see what Kelsay can do when given an opportunity though.

i would still take the NE defense over the bills if the game is on the line.

Ickybaluky
06-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Colvin's injury was not like Jackson's. Jackson's bone died because of lack of blood reaching the joint after the injury. Colvin has good blood flow after the injury, so his injury just needs to heal. However, it is an injury that takes time to heal.

Deon Grant is the most recent player that suffered the same injury as Colvin (in the same way, non-contact). He recovered fully, but it took time. It isn't a common injury, but several guys have returned to play after having it.