X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Bills Tops in the AFC-East

With not much going on in the FO with June cuts, and the Bills needing help in the Pass Rush maybe we could pick up Jason Gildon who was cut. He can pass rush and is a solid veteran with something left in the tank.

I know we seem to be set at the LB position but we still have to address the pass rush or lack of, and there aren't many DE's available... None.

Posey has played DE in the League in the past and was under-utilized in the Pass Rush last year which was his specialty with the Texans with 9 sacks. Since TD drafted Gildon in '94 and is familiar with him would it make since to bring him in for a look... maybe using some defensive sets to have Gildon at OLB and Posey at DE to bring some heat to opposing QB's?

Both are above average at creating pressure and Posey could be freed up from dropping back into pass coverage every passing down.

With the addition of a LB with Gildons ability and Poseys ability to bring the heat to opposing QB's this move could Vault The Bills defensive front into being the best in the AFC-East and this Defense the best in the entire League.

Getting pressure on the other teams QB is key to this "D"s dominance and overall team Wins.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....The only team that was higher was the Cowboys last year.

I agree though, if we could get Gildon pretty cheap then I would not see a problem with that but I would still like to see what Kelsay can do when given an opportunity though.

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Jared
      Offical Billszone Starting FB
      • Sep 2003

Depends on how you judge "best". Unfortunately for Buffalo, yards are not a factor in deciding who wins a game.

Points per game:

1. New England 14.9
      2. Dallas 16.3
      3. Miami 16.3
      4. Tampa Bay 16.5
      5. Buffalo 17.4

So that would put Buffalo still in the top 5 in the league, but second to last in the AFC East.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryjam282
        The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....
        Originally posted by Jared
        So that would put Buffalo still in the top 5 in the league, but second to last in the AFC East.
        This defense was not one of the best 15 last year but they didn't allow opponents to score...that is good...but they were 6-10...Stats are an after thought...they tell part of the story...wins and losses are all that count...after living through 4 SB loses I could care less about stats (except for my Fantasy teams)...win the games...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer

Stats are an after thought...they tell part of the story...wins and losses are all that count...after living through 4 SB loses I could care less about stats (except for my Fantasy teams)...win the games...

Oh so very true. I could care less if we gave up 100 points a game as long as we scored 101.

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Jared
            Offical Billszone Starting FB
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            This defense was not one of the best 15 last year but they didn't allow opponents to score...that is good...but they were 6-10...
            Could have something to do with the offense being tied for 30th in the league in PPG, ahead of the Arizona [Caution: May Contain Football-like Substance] Cardinals.

Comment

• juice
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
              The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....
              With the addition of a HEALTHY Colvin and Law re-signed I'd have to say NE has the better defense performance wise...

The Question is if Colvin is HEALTHY and Law can be Passified to continue to play at his Pro Bowl level.

I saw on another Board where it was REPORTED on Boston Radio that part of the reason for Colvin's redoing his deal was because his injury isn't completly healed and he may be limited in playing ability.

If Colvin isn't healthy the door could be wide open for our "D" to Shine and possibly steal the East from the Pats...

The reports I saw seemed to point in the direction of limited play for Colvin at best... Maybe Law will turn down his Multi-million dollar contract this year and sit out.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ryjam282
                [B]The Bills D is already the best in the AFC-East.....The only team that was higher was the Cowboys last year.

That is surely a debatable statement. While statistically we were #2 in the league. I don't think we were even the best defense in our division. It is hard to argue with NE not allowing a TD in the last how many quarters of the regular season at home? They were a better defense than we were, hands down. When the chips were down our D gave up the big scores that won games. I like our D and think it will be better this year but that #2 ranking was a bit of an anomaly.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                  • Jul 2002

The problem with our D last year was lack of turnovers. That has to change this season.

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                    The problem with our D last year was lack of turnovers.
                    A by-product of a lack of pressure.

Comment

• Italian Stallion
                      Knows More Than You
                      • Feb 2004

Gildon would be a great addition to this team. Pro Bowl Experience is never a bad thing to add. I like the idea of Posey playing end except, in many situations last year when he did put his hand down, he was stood up and dominated at the point of attack by bigger guys. He needs to add more bulk for that to work.
                      BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Gildon has been a great linebacker, but as a big guy, I wonder how much he has slowed down as a 32 year old. I would think the Bills have to consider him depending on his asking price, but the odds are he makes the Bills older and slower. He's got to bring enough to make it worth what they are giving up in youth and speed.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• cordog
                          eat, drink, and be merry
                          • Apr 2003

Its a great idea, and in a perfect world it works, but Posey cannot play DE for the whole season. Hes not strong enough to take the knocks on his body game in and game out going against big tackles.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

I don't think Gildon would be a good fit for you guys, as he has always been a 3-4 player. He is a tweener, not a good fit at LB or DE in a 4-3. I bet he ends up on one of the 3-4 teams. Baltimore has expressed interest in him, and that makes a ton of sense. Houston makes sense as well. Both those teams, along with Green Bay and Cleveland, have reportedly expressed interest in signing him (per his agent).

As for Colvin, he is progressing well and is expected to recover fully. He has been interviewed a lot recently, and is real optimistic about his recovery. That said, it is unrealistic to expect he be fully up to speed by the start of the season. He is going to be brought along slowly, and that type of injury requires a full year to recover in the best of circumstances. Most likely scenario is him not really getting up to speed until mid-season. When you look at players with similar injuries who have recovered, like Deon Grant, it took them some time to return to form.

Comment

• Kramer
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
                              Gildon has been a great linebacker, but as a big guy, I wonder how much he has slowed down as a 32 year old. I would think the Bills have to consider him depending on his asking price, but the odds are he makes the Bills older and slower. He's got to bring enough to make it worth what they are giving up in youth and speed.
                              TigerJ. Remember the Eddie Robinson experiment? At 32 (I believe) he was supposed to add experience and skill to the OLB position. Didn't happen. Titans let him go for a reason. I think we are going ga ga over Gildon's name and not thinking that maybe he is a washout.

Comment

Working...
                              X