X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

NFL work is year round

Bobby Shaw can’t wait for the NFL’s regular season to begin. In many ways, it will be easier than the nomadic lifestyle the Buffalo Bills veteran wide receiver is leading this off-season.
    The Bills, who assemble at St. John Fisher College on July 31 for the start of training camp, are wrapping up their off-season work under new coach Mike Mularkey with 14 days of organized team activity at Ralph Wilson Stadium that began on May 24 and ends June 16.

These on-field practices, voluntary for veterans, follow a three-day mandatory mini-camp that was held in March and another voluntary three-day session held in late April, all part of a total off-season workout program of weight training and nutrition adherence that lasts 14 weeks.

For Shaw, it has meant traveling to Buffalo from his off-season home in the San Francisco Bay area.

”It’s quote, unquote ‘optional,’ that voluntary-mandatory thing,” Shaw said. “It makes it a little tougher for players to be motivated when you’re not able to spend more time with your family this time of year, but that’s the nature of the beast. You do it. You want to be good. You want to have a successful season and sacrificing some family time now comes into play. It’s a double-edged sword, I guess.”

Giving up more and more of their off-seasons is the tradeoff players made for getting unrestricted free agency 11 years ago. Before 1993 and the rise in multi-million dollar signing bonuses, a player’s commitment to his team in the off-season generally consisted of one spring mini-camp and a promise to stay in shape that not many kept.

• Voltron
    • Jul 2002

WWWAAAAAAHHHHHHH

I make over $100,000 and I have to work too much for it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
    - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
    -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    - Mark Twain

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I think Aiken will get most of Shaw's playing time anyway, and with our depth at receiver, Shaw may not have to worry about Bills' OTAs too much longer. It's entirely possible that he will not be on the final roster.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
      X