PDA

View Full Version : A thought on Bledsoe!

Patrick76777
06-04-2004, 08:50 AM
I hope this doesn’t come off as me trying to come up with yet another excuse as to why Drew had a bad year last year. However a few weeks ago something popped into my head and it got me thinking. I don’t remember the exact games but I do remember that Drew did suffer a few concussions last season. And if I remember correctly, both were suffered somewhere in the middle of the season when the offense really hit the skids.

The problem is, I don’t remember the games when the concussions happened. I do know that we had a 4 game 5-week stretch where Drew played some of the worst football of his career. From the KC, Dallas, Houston and Indy game the offense was at it’s worst. Sure there were other bad games, but those 4 were some of the worst.

The local radio guys made a big point about the concussions and that they were surprised that in football where things are more macho guys will play while being concussed. Whereas in Hockey, guys who have tired to play while concussed are usually rendered ineffective. And now, the NHL won’t let a player play until they are symptom free for over 7 days. 2 seasons ago, Maxim Afinagenov missed most of the season and last year Tim Connolly missed the entire year with a concussion.

Is it possible that the concussion hurt his play last year?

Anybody remember in which games the concussions took place? Hell if it was the Tenn and Washington game, my theory is full of crap. But if they happened in the KC and Houston game, I may have something.

saviorbledsoe
06-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Im not sure which games they were either but I think there was 2 concussions and I think they were in the midst of that bad run where we couldnt even score a TD.

Very valid point. Look at that game that Kurt Warner played last year the first week vs the Giants. He was concussed and had like 6 fumbles. I could imagine that may have contributed to things like him not being able to hit simple screen passes to guys wide open during that streak last year.

Valerie
06-04-2004, 08:57 AM
If he did get a concussion, then why was he playing? I thought they took hurt people out of play, regardless of how macho they think they are. And, if that is the case and Drew was really hurt that badly, he's just as dumb as the coaches and trainers.

Patrick76777
06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
It's just the football attitude.

Drew very rarely misses games. Unless his spleen is ripped out. The guy plays thru injury.

saviorbledsoe
06-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Valerie
If he did get a concussion, then why was he playing? I thought they took hurt people out of play, regardless of how macho they think they are. And, if that is the case and Drew was really hurt that badly, he's just as dumb as the coaches and trainers.

Maybe you dont understand because you are a woman........no offense.....but foolisah pride and the everlasting will to win make men do some things that in hind sight they should not have done.

Valerie
06-04-2004, 09:19 AM
No offense taken. But, isn't that why there are trainers, coaches and medical personnel on the field with the players? To make that decision for them? I'm not trying to be funny, but if Patrick is right and Drew's concussion did result in his piss poor play, then it was obviously a serious injury and the people in charge of his health and the well-being of the team are very much at fault!

Patrick76777
06-04-2004, 09:21 AM
You would think they would have some sort of concussion protection for their players, but the league doesn't. If the player says they're fine, Then he plays.

Novacane
06-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
I hope this doesn?t come off as me trying to come up with yet another excuse as to why Drew had a bad year last year.

It did.

Tatonka
06-04-2004, 11:17 AM
drew has had a concussion his whole career.. with brief moments of clarity against scrub teams with crappy defenses.

buffmaniac
06-04-2004, 12:37 PM
I doubt the concussion affected Drew's play. On the other hand the bad coaching, poor OL play, and no playmakers at WR did affect Drew's play last year.

LtBillsFan66
06-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Could be. There are a lot of factors. I think Moulds being injured killed him too.

B-DON
06-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
drew has had a concussion his whole career.. with brief moments of clarity against scrub teams with crappy defenses. :cheers:

Ickybaluky
06-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Bledsoe first suffered a concussion against Indianapolis (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/11/27/bc.fbn.bills.bledsoe.ap/) in the 3rd quarter, the 11th game of the season. It actually did effect his play.

Through the first half of the Indy game, a clear-headed Drew went 196-for-329 (59.6%), 2,083 Yds (6.33 Yds/Att), 6 TD, 8 Int, 74.1 QB Rating.

From the 2nd half of the Indy game on, the concussed Drew went 78-for-142 (54.9%), 777 Yds (5.47 Yds/Att), 5 TD, 4 Int, 70.7 QB Rating.

Thus, the numbers clearly show Drew went from playing awful to slightly more awful after suffering a concussion in the 3rd quarter of the Indy game.

Kramer
06-04-2004, 01:05 PM
It is my opinion that if Drew did have a nasty concussion that there would have been no way that he could of finished strong at the end of the season. By strong I mean playing better than he did for the first 11 games. But that is not saying much, now is it?
But we will never know if he could of played better will we?

Novacane
06-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Bledsoe first suffered a concussion against Indianapolis (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/football/nfl/11/27/bc.fbn.bills.bledsoe.ap/) in the 3rd quarter, the 11th game of the season. It actually did effect his play.

Through the first half of the Indy game, a clear-headed Drew went 196-for-329 (59.6%), 2,083 Yds (6.33 Yds/Att), 6 TD, 8 Int, 74.1 QB Rating.

From the 2nd half of the Indy game on, the concussed Drew went 78-for-142 (54.9%), 777 Yds (5.47 Yds/Att), 5 TD, 4 Int, 70.7 QB Rating.

Thus, the numbers clearly show Drew went from playing awful to slightly more awful after suffering a concussion in the 3rd quarter of the Indy game.

:rofl:

Ickybaluky
06-04-2004, 01:26 PM
We may not be able to say if he might have finished strong had he not suffered a concussion, but we can say it was unlikely. Drew isn't a real strong finisher. He hasn't had a season where he finished with a higher Completion percentage, more yards or higher QB Rating since 1996. He has been worse in the 2nd half every season since.

In fact, since 1995 Drew's totals by half-season:

First 8 games: 1,379-for-2,361 (58.4%), 16,445 Yds (6.97 Yds/Att), 89 TD, 50 Int, 83.5 QB Rating

Last 8 games: 1,197-for-2,117 (56.5%), 13,379 Yds (6.32 Yds/Att), 70 TD, 73 Int, 72.2 QB Rating

Thus, though we can't say for sure he would have improved had it not been for the concussion, we can say it would have been the first time in a long while he would have done that.

Patrick76777
06-04-2004, 01:29 PM
So was it the indy game? If that's the case then the theory doesn't work. Which is no skin off my back. I just remembered that he had a concussion and was wondering if thats what effected his play.

Bled2Hen
06-04-2004, 01:40 PM
I thought Drew suffered the concussion against the New York Giants, when he was hit by Keith Hamilton in a helmet to helmet collision?

tomdonahoe
06-04-2004, 02:41 PM
There is a million and one reasons why Drew performed poorly last year. Reason that have been listed on this thread and many others. His slight concussions in the two games is just another one. The deal is that Drew or maybe even this league will not let him drop back 35 plus times a game and sling it around the field. Those days are over. If the Bills can construct an weekly offensive game plan where Drew doesn't have to win the game yet he just doesn't have to lose the game then I think you'll see this team in the playoffs. Do you remember during the Flutie years where it seemed like we won every game 13-10 or 13-7. Our defense played great and Flutie did just enough to get the victory. Drew has to become a quarterback that does just enough to get the victory. That means making the right decisions and not turning the ball over. We do not need him throwing for 300 yds a game anymore. Our "D" is solid and the turnovers will come. Our offense has to take advantage of how good our defense is. Hey, its okay to punt, just don't turn it over Drew.

Go Bills!

saviorbledsoe
06-04-2004, 03:04 PM
We may not be able to say if he might have finished strong had he not suffered a concussion, but we can say it was unlikely. Drew isn't a real strong finisher. He hasn't had a season where he finished with a higher Completion percentage, more yards or higher QB Rating since 1996. He has been worse in the 2nd half every season since.

First 8 games: 1,379-for-2,361 (58.4%), 16,445 Yds (6.97 Yds/Att), 89 TD, 50 Int, 83.5 QB Rating

Last 8 games: 1,197-for-2,117 (56.5%), 13,379 Yds (6.32 Yds/Att), 70 TD, 73 Int, 72.2 QB Rating

Thus, though we can't say for sure he would have improved had it not been for the concussion, we can say it would have been the first time in a long while he would have done that.

You ever hear the song by Stix called "Too Much Time On My Hands" ?

Kramer
06-04-2004, 03:29 PM

I see your point.

The_Philster
06-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
It's just the football attitude.

No kidding. Chris Spielman said they'd have to carry him off the field to get him to leave. The injury that ended his 97 season was one he played through til the end of the game.

Mr. Cynical
06-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
drew has had a concussion his whole career.. with brief moments of clarity against scrub teams with crappy defenses.

:rofl:

Mr. Cynical
06-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
You ever hear the song by Stix called "Too Much Time On My Hands" ?

You ever hear that song by Pink Floyd called "Comfortably Numb"?

BigZ
06-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by tomdonahoe
There is a million and one reasons why Drew performed poorly last year. Reason that have been listed on this thread and many others. His slight concussions in the two games is just another one. The deal is that Drew or maybe even this league will not let him drop back 35 plus times a game and sling it around the field. Those days are over. If the Bills can construct an weekly offensive game plan where Drew doesn't have to win the game yet he just doesn't have to lose the game then I think you'll see this team in the playoffs. Do you remember during the Flutie years where it seemed like we won every game 13-10 or 13-7. Our defense played great and Flutie did just enough to get the victory. Drew has to become a quarterback that does just enough to get the victory. That means making the right decisions and not turning the ball over. We do not need him throwing for 300 yds a game anymore. Our "D" is solid and the turnovers will come. Our offense has to take advantage of how good our defense is. Hey, its okay to punt, just don't turn it over Drew.

Go Bills!

Good point.

Most of the guys posting here couldn't say a nice thing about Bledose if their life depended on it.

The Natrix
06-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Here's a thought on Bledsoe: He stinks.

BillsOverDolphins
06-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm hoping Bledsoe can just be mediocre...that's all I ask for, for him to be "Dilfer-esque" and not lose games. How many here think he can reach mediocrity?