PDA

View Full Version : OJ: Best RB in Bills History

juice
06-04-2004, 08:59 PM
If OJ was one of the top 3 RB's in League History, Does that make him the best in Bills History?

Bled2Hen
06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Well, I think its obvious the greatest backs in Bills history, narrow down to only 2 choices:

Thurman and O.J. And if i had my pick, i would pick rank O.J a little

further than Thurman, but not much.

juice
06-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Thurm was a hell of a reciever, but was Cribbs in his league as a pure runner?

imbondz
06-04-2004, 10:50 PM
anyone see the interview with OJ tonight on dateline?

CWOUSARET
06-04-2004, 10:52 PM
gilcrist
thurman
simpson
cribbs

juice
06-04-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

Hell No... Why didn't anyone tell me it was on NBC at 9:00 pm est.

A Forum is needed for posting Bills related show dates.

juice
06-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

Did they mention that he was an all time NFL great?

Oh yeah... and a Buffalo Bill.. dont want to get sent to the dreaded SPAM ZONE

Captain gameboy
06-05-2004, 07:20 AM
I think OJ was the best, Thurman second.
Cribbs and Cookie not near their class.

Kramer
06-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Thurman was elusive in the backfield and was a great pass catcher. OJ just murdered the front seven. Nod goes to TT.

SABURZFAN
06-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by juice
If OJ was one of the top 3 RB's in League History

some may argue Top 5 but there's no way he was one of the 3 best.

BillsFanInMass
06-05-2004, 08:42 AM
OJ was a pure runner he really made nice cuts even after he retired just ask Ron Goldman.

Kramer
06-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
OJ was a pure runner he really made nice cuts even after he retired just ask Ron Goldman.

Good point. He was a slasher who just murdered anyone that got in his way. He was elusive also. He ran like he was in a Ford Bronco whenever anyone was chasing him. He was so powerful he could kill two people at once if he was pissed off enough. Definitely worthy of the HOF.

kdharge
06-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Of course he is ........ he set the standard for Running backs running for 2003 yard in a 14 game season which we never be done again ..............remember in 14 games

madness
06-05-2004, 08:58 AM
My personal all-time league favorites:

1. Payton
2. OJ
3. Barry
4. Thurman
5. Henry
6. Willis ???

juice
06-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
some may argue Top 5 but there's no way he was one of the 3 best.

He had the best season in League history and raised the standard of elite RB... Before OJ and the ELEC. CO. a 2000 yard season was unheard of.

It took 20 years for anyone to come close to his mark... I think that makes him Top 3.

Besides Jim Brown in a different Era who was nearly as dominant as a pure runner?

Kramer
06-05-2004, 09:50 AM

He had the best season in League history and raised the standard of elite RB... Before OJ and the ELEC. CO. a 2000 yard season was unheard of.

It took 20 years for anyone to come close to his mark... I think that makes him Top 3.

Besides Jim Brown in a different Era who was nearly as dominant as a pure runner?

But his status as an elite running back is greatly demoted because he is a murderer. What was Nicoles fresh blood doing in his Bronco?

The_Philster
06-05-2004, 09:50 AM

1973-1984 is 20 years? :huh:

Payton, Sanders, Dickerson, Emmitt

Dozerdog
06-05-2004, 09:52 AM

Earl Campbell came very close to knocking off OJ's record just 5 seasons later- missed some time with nicks and bruises too.

Peyton, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson- all of them are pretty much equall at the top of the class

The_Philster
06-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Kramer
But his status as an elite running back is greatly demoted because he is a murderer.

I don't think it should. Sure, he's scum and most of us are ashamed to be associated with him because he's a lying, murdering fiend. But before that, he was a great runner and was one of the top 10, IMO. Would I take him on the team now if he were just starting in the league? Hell no because of what kind of man he turned out to be.

Kramer
06-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I don't think it should. Sure, he's scum and most of us are ashamed to be associated with him because he's a lying, murdering fiend. But before that, he was a great runner and was one of the top 10, IMO. Would I take him on the team now if he were just starting in the league? Hell no because of what kind of man he turned out to be.

Good points, most of them :up:

juice
06-05-2004, 10:07 AM

I agree that it doesn't effect his career 30 years ago... But I would start OJ of '73 over Henry on this years team if life was like Madden.

Historian
06-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Thurman. He's the only back I ever saw that could rush for 200 yards, then line up and catch passes as a wide out.

Both had tremendous lines in front of them, and both had tremendous balance, IMO.

Kramer
06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Why are we even talking about OJ? He is a filthy muderer. Nicole's fresh blood was found in his Ford Bronco.

His name should never again be mentioned in any forum regarding the Buffalo Bills. He is a ghost. He never existed.

CWOUSARET
06-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by madness23
My personal all-time league favorites:

1. Payton
2. OJ
3. Barry
4. Thurman
5. Henry
6. Willis ???

ummmm - what happened to jim brown, emmitt smith, eric dickerson & earl campbell. i would put as a 6-pack all timer list:

CO #1's: jim brown and walter payton
CO #2's: barry sanders and o.j.simpson
CO #3's: thurman thomas and emmitt smith

juice
06-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
Why are we even talking about OJ? He is a filthy muderer. Nicole's fresh blood was found in his Ford Bronco.

His name should never again be mentioned in any forum regarding the Buffalo Bills. He is a ghost. He never existed.

It would be alot easier to forget if he hadn't rewritten NFL History 30 yrs. ago.

What should be done with the Ray Lewis Legacy... Just forget about him once he retires?

The difference between the two cases was that Lewis was actually convicted of something... But Raven fans seem to be able to get over it, how about Bills Fans?

chernobylwraiths
06-05-2004, 10:23 PM
OJ was the best running back in Bills history. There should be no doubt about that. Whether or not he is a murderer has no bearing on how good a football player he was. Thurman is a distant second. The jury is out on Gilchrist but from what I heard of him, he could have been one of the all time greats.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Earl Campbell came very close to knocking off OJ's record just 5 seasons later- missed some time with nicks and bruises too.

Peyton, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson- all of them are pretty much equall at the top of the class

i agree.bum phillips ran campbell into the ground.that turf didn't help him either.

my top 5

1.j.brown
2.payton
3.campbell
4.e.smith
5.dickerson

indianabillsfan
06-06-2004, 07:43 AM
With all off-the-field issues aside, I think Thurman's versatility and durability give him the edge over O.J. in my book. He was tougher than O.J. too. Did O.J. lead the league in total yards from scrimmage four years in a row? No. Thurman never won a rushing title (even though he was a VERY close second a few times) but I think his all around game makes him better.

As far as the greatest of all-time, I look at sustained excellence over an entire career. The top runners in NFL history are Walter Payton (10 consecutive 1,000 yard campaigns in non-strike shortened seasons, leading all-time rusher at retirement), Jim Brown (7 1,000 yard seasons in 9 years, and the two years he missed he had 942 and 996 yards, and that was in 12 and 14 game seasons, and he too was the NFL career rushing leader when he retired), Emmitt Smith (11 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, more TD's than any RB in history, all-time NFL rushing leader), and Barry Sanders (played 11 years mostly on horrible teams, and had over 1,000 yards every season and if he had not walked away from the game early because of a squabble with Lions management, he would be the NFL's career rushing leader). There have been other great RB's with superior production for about 5 years, like O.J., Earl, Dickerson, but for my money Payton, Brown, Smith, and Sanders are the cream of the crop. No way O.J. or Thurman makes it into the top 3 past any of these guys. Dickerson, like O.J., was dominant for a 4 or 5 year period, but the top 4 I have mentioned were dominant for 9 to 11 years. That is a significant difference. I think O.J.'s slow start to his career and often-injured knees hurt his production and clearly eliminate him from being in the top 3 ever. He may have had as much talent as anybody, but it wasn't able to be used over his entire career.

juice
06-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by indianabillsfan
With all off-the-field issues aside, I think Thurman's versatility and durability give him the edge over O.J. in my book. He was tougher than O.J. too. Did O.J. lead the league in total yards from scrimmage four years in a row? No. Thurman never won a rushing title (even though he was a VERY close second a few times) but I think his all around game makes him better.

As far as the greatest of all-time, I look at sustained excellence over an entire career. The top runners in NFL history are Walter Payton (10 consecutive 1,000 yard campaigns in non-strike shortened seasons, leading all-time rusher at retirement), Jim Brown (7 1,000 yard seasons in 9 years, and the two years he missed he had 942 and 996 yards, and that was in 12 and 14 game seasons, and he too was the NFL career rushing leader when he retired), Emmitt Smith (11 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, more TD's than any RB in history, all-time NFL rushing leader), and Barry Sanders (played 11 years mostly on horrible teams, and had over 1,000 yards every season and if he had not walked away from the game early because of a squabble with Lions management, he would be the NFL's career rushing leader). There have been other great RB's with superior production for about 5 years, like O.J., Earl, Dickerson, but for my money Payton, Brown, Smith, and Sanders are the cream of the crop. No way O.J. or Thurman makes it into the top 3 past any of these guys. Dickerson, like O.J., was dominant for a 4 or 5 year period, but the top 4 I have mentioned were dominant for 9 to 11 years. That is a significant difference. I think O.J.'s slow start to his career and often-injured knees hurt his production and clearly eliminate him from being in the top 3 ever. He may have had as much talent as anybody, but it wasn't able to be used over his entire career.

I would put OJ, Sanders and Brown in a different category in that because of team issues all three had shortened careers. OJ was on average teams at best, Barry was consistently on below average teams and Brown had issues with front office control over his off field activities.

Cambell and Dickerson could probably fall into the same category of underachieving teams as well.

Payton, Emmitt and even Thurman were able to prolong their careers and excell late in their careers because of being on SB calliber teams consistently.

OJ may have traded his ability to walk later in life for that 2000 yd season.. I think that may have influenced Sanders decision to retire.

B-DON
06-06-2004, 07:44 PM

It would be alot easier to forget if he hadn't rewritten NFL History 30 yrs. ago.

What should be done with the Ray Lewis Legacy... Just forget about him once he retires?

The difference between the two cases was that Lewis was actually convicted of something... But Raven fans seem to be able to get over it, how about Bills Fans?

EXACTLY get over it, if he was still playin and ripped off that 2000 yd season after the DEATH of his wife everyone including kramer would love him

The_Philster
06-06-2004, 08:04 PM
If you're suggesting we'd all support a murderer on our team you couldn't be more wrong. There are a few who have no problem with having character problems on the Bills but I feel safe in saying that they are the minority.

B-DON
06-06-2004, 08:16 PM
so would you take ray lewis?

The_Philster
06-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
so would you take ray lewis?

no

Captain gameboy
06-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I wonder if the people who denigrate OJ have ever seen him play.
I have posted this before, but I saw his entire career as a Bill, and did a two week stint as a ballboy during his prime.

OJ Simpson was the best running back the Buffalo Bills have ever had.
He is behind Brown and Sanders on the all time list, in my view.
Thurman was a great player. An instinctive runner, receiver, and a fabulous pass blocker. But he was no OJ.
OJ was six points at anytime and anywhere, and every D coodinator in the league knew it.

B-DON
06-06-2004, 08:24 PM

no
hope you dont plan on being a gm any time

B-DON
06-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
I have posted this before, but I saw his entire career as a Bill, and did a two week stint as a ballboy during his prime.

Thurman was a great player. An instinctive runner, receiver, and a fabulous pass blocker. But he was no OJ.
OJ was six points at anytime and anywhere, and every D coodinator in the league knew it.

:bf1:

The_Philster
06-06-2004, 08:26 PM
hope you dont plan on being a gm any time

I don't...but for the most part, I'm just following the same way of thinking that the Bills generally have followed for their history . :idunno:

juice
06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
OJ was the best running back in Bills history. There should be no doubt about that. Whether or not he is a murderer has no bearing on how good a football player he was. Thurman is a distant second. The jury is out on Gilchrist but from what I heard of him, he could have been one of the all time greats.

Good post Wraiths
EXACTLY get over it, if he was still playin and ripped off that 2000 yd season after the DEATH of his wife everyone including kramer would love him

I feel ya B...

Excellent Post... I think a few of those who think he was only "Top Five" may not have had the chance to see his greatness... OJ was pure poetry in motion and a DC's worst nightmare.

juice
06-06-2004, 09:47 PM
If you're suggesting we'd all support a murderer on our team you couldn't be more wrong. There are a few who have no problem with having character problems on the Bills but I feel safe in saying that they are the minority.

OJ was never a character problem in his years in the League as far as I know... and still to this day has never been convicted of Murder that I know of.

helmetguy
06-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm surprized no has mentioned Gale Sayers. Injuries cut his career short but, for his time with the Bears, he was every bit the "six points from anywhere, anytime" back that Simpson-or anyone else for that matter-was. Nobody will ever accuse the '60's Bears of being the cream of the NFL crop, making Sayers' accomplishments in his short career that much more remarkable. BTW, he also played Special Teams.

juice
06-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I'm surprized no has mentioned Gale Sayers. Injuries cut his career short but, for his time with the Bears, he was every bit the "six points from anywhere, anytime" back that Simpson-or anyone else for that matter-was. Nobody will ever accuse the '60's Bears of being the cream of the NFL crop, making Sayers' accomplishments in his short career that much more remarkable. BTW, he also played Special Teams.

Your right on... I was thinking of sayers in response to this post or maybe Marshall Faulk in his prime...
Originally posted by Billsology
Thurman. He's the only back I ever saw that could rush for 200 yards, then line up and catch passes as a wide out.

Gale was alot like Simpson.. grace of a Ballet dancer and a threat to take it to the house on any play.

The_Philster
06-07-2004, 04:46 AM
OJ was never a character problem in his years in the League as far as I know... and still to this day has never been convicted of Murder that I know of.

The question I was answering was whether I'd take him on the team had the murders happened before his career and if you believe he's actually innocent, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Earthquake Enyart
06-07-2004, 07:45 AM
OJ Simpson was the greatest running back to ever play the game. Period.

Emmitt Smith is not in the top ten. Neither is Dickerson.

Ebenezer
06-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Planets must be aligned again...Smith is a borderline 1000 yd rusher without that o-line...could you imagine Sanders or Thurman behind that line...

Captain gameboy
06-07-2004, 12:14 PM
For the OJ doubters, let me tell you a little story.
Back in the day, I got a job as a ballboy during training camp, only for two weeks.
In those days, the rookies used to show up early, and the vets came in about a week later, as I recall.
Anyway, one day, the second day the vets were in camp, there was an all rookie defensive team lined up against the offense.
I was behind the O huddle, and I heard them call a running play for OJ.
There must have been some deal worked out with the vet line, as a joke, but when the ball was snapped, Ferguson pitched to OJ going right, but nobody blocked. The linemen stood up and left him on his own.
The rookie D linemen poured through, as did the LB's.
OJ went through the entire defense, one player at a time.
There must have ben 10 shots on him and they all missed.
Everyone was stunned.
He launched the football at the center and muttered an expletive.
OJ Simpson is the greatest runing back to ever wear a Bills uniform.

Halbert
06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I watched OJ for years and he was the best pure runner I've ever seen, bar none. I wouldn't name him the best RB because he had stone hands and couldn't block for ****, but he made tacklers look silly once he had the ball.

Earthquake Enyart
06-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
I watched OJ for years and he was the best pure runner I've ever seen, bar none. I wouldn't name him the best RB because he had stone hands and couldn't block for ****, but he made tacklers look silly once he had the ball.

OJ could catch. They just didn't throw the ball to backs that much, except for screen passes.

OJ had world class sprinter speed. He ran a 9.3 100 that one year on The Superstars on an asphalt track with sneakers. He was also deceptively strong and could break tackles. There has never been a back with the speed, moves and strength of OJ Simpson.

juice
06-07-2004, 06:00 PM

OJ wasn't on the field to block... and anyone can catch a screen pass or a quick pitch... What hands of stone?

juice
06-07-2004, 07:36 PM
OJ Simpson was the greatest running back to ever play the game. Period.

OJ could catch. They just didn't throw the ball to backs that much, except for screen passes.

OJ had world class sprinter speed. He ran a 9.3 100 that one year on The Superstars on an asphalt track with sneakers. He was also deceptively strong and could break tackles. There has never been a back with the speed, moves and strength of OJ Simpson.

I'm with ya E Dub... But Dickerson had a top 10 career by simply breaking the 2000 yd mark... If Jamal doesn't get locked up he'll elevate to that position barring Injury and with a full career.

Dickerson put up some major #'s with the Rams and held alot of records... He was smooth as silk but lacked the World class speed.

I'd put him in the same class as Tony Dorsett and Tony Dees would also make my top 10 and TD is the #1 in Cowboy history.. Yeah better than Emmit.

I have Jim Brown and OJ at the head of the class... with OJ being the better pure runner.

The Spaz
06-07-2004, 07:38 PM
:oj:

juice
06-07-2004, 08:08 PM
For the OJ doubters, let me tell you a little story.
Back in the day, I got a job as a ballboy during training camp, only for two weeks.
In those days, the rookies used to show up early, and the vets came in about a week later, as I recall.
Anyway, one day, the second day the vets were in camp, there was an all rookie defensive team lined up against the offense.
I was behind the O huddle, and I heard them call a running play for OJ.
There must have been some deal worked out with the vet line, as a joke, but when the ball was snapped, Ferguson pitched to OJ going right, but nobody blocked. The linemen stood up and left him on his own.
The rookie D linemen poured through, as did the LB's.
OJ went through the entire defense, one player at a time.
There must have ben 10 shots on him and they all missed.
Everyone was stunned.
He launched the football at the center and muttered an expletive.
OJ Simpson is the greatest runing back to ever wear a Bills uniform.

Great story... I'm oldschool enough to remember his true greatness on the field... Youth and lack of knowledge of Bills History keep many of the youngsters from making a judgement on his career as a player... They seem to think his time in the League began just after the "Bronco" Low Speed chase or they think Norwood's Wide Kick was the first year the Bills were in the NFL.

Originally posted by The Spaz
:oj:

MisGuided-Youth

eyedog
06-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Anybody who has seen OJ in his prime knows he was the Bills best. It's really not even close. Thurman was good, OJ was great.

Earthquake Enyart
06-08-2004, 06:17 AM
The 85 Bears made Dickerson cry like a little girl in the NFC title game.

juice
06-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by eyedog
It's really not even close. Thurman was good, OJ was great.

Classic Quote.

The 85 Bears made Dickerson cry like a little girl in the NFC title game.

That was the Best "D" ever... No excuses for crying in football, But Singletary and crew were some nasty SOB's.

Halbert
06-08-2004, 05:10 PM

anyone can catch a screen pass or a quick pitch... What hands of stone?

To use current superstar RB’s adept at catching as a comparison:

Player G Rec Rec/Gm
------- ---- ---- ----
Simpson 135 203 1.5
Faulk 146 673 4.6
James 65 261 4.0

If O.J. was that much of a weapon to catch balls they would have done more than this.

Besides, all you had to do was watch him to know he struggled with anything other than the easy screens and dumps that anybody can catch.

Can I clear up anything else for you?

Earthquake Enyart
06-08-2004, 06:14 PM
They played in different eras. Back then, they didn't throw the ball to backs. Compare him to Franco Harris, Hornung, and guys like that.

I remember being at an opening Monday night game against the fins where they threw OJ a screen and he took it about 50 yards for a TD. OJ just ended a contract holdout a day or two before the game.

Halbert
06-08-2004, 09:37 PM
I remember great plays he made catching the ball as well. They were not commonplace with him. I also recall him dropping more than his fair share of others.

Still by far the best Bills RB in history and one of the all time best overall. That's how good he was at running.

Halbert
06-08-2004, 09:50 PM
One last thing to :deadhorse …

In OJ’s 1973 season where he rushed for a then record 2003 yards, the top 10 RB’s in rushing attempts had the following number of receptions for the season:

Player Recp/Yds
----- ------
OJ 6/70
Calvin Hill 32/290
Larry Brown 40/482
John Brockington 16/128
Dave Hampton 25/273
Ron Johnson 32/377
Floyd Little 41/423
Boobie Clark 45/347 (Boobie?!)
Lydell Mitchell 17/113
Larry Csonka 7/42 (now THAT’S stone hands)

You may concede the point to me at your convenience. I promise not to say nya, nya.

juice
06-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Only two names that I recognize... Maybe they were busy RUNNING the ball... Do you have Csonka's #s that year? How many TD's?

juice
06-09-2004, 05:03 PM
OJ would have had over 2200 yds. in that season if they played the 16 game schedule... I wonder if a record that stands unsurpassed for over 30 years will get your Jersey retired as a Bill?
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Planets must be aligned again...Smith is a borderline 1000 yd rusher without that o-line...could you imagine Sanders or Thurman behind that line...

I agree E. Smith was not that far above average... Comparable to T. Henry in size and ability.

eyedog
06-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Using OJ to catch passes would be like using Secretariat to plow the fields.

juice
06-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Or like having Posey to drop back into pass coverage.

R. Rich
06-10-2004, 01:52 PM
TMEP was a great runner before he decided to become a killer. No doubt about that. Best back for the Bills? Probably so. Thurm would be 2nd.

Here's my top 5:

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith
Tony Dorsett

NOTE: I was also a huge fan of Detroit's OTHER #20. If he hadn't injured his knees early on, he would've been their all time greatest back.

Dozerdog
06-10-2004, 01:57 PM
One last thing to :deadhorse …

In OJ’s 1973 season where he rushed for a then record 2003 yards, the top 10 RB’s in rushing attempts had the following number of receptions for the season:

Player Recp/Yds
----- ------
OJ 6/70
Calvin Hill 32/290
Larry Brown 40/482
John Brockington 16/128
Dave Hampton 25/273
Ron Johnson 32/377
Floyd Little 41/423
Boobie Clark 45/347 (Boobie?!)
Lydell Mitchell 17/113
Larry Csonka 7/42 (now THAT’S stone hands)

You may concede the point to me at your convenience. I promise not to say nya, nya.

The Buffalo Bills AS A TEAM didn't pass for over 1,000 yards for the season in 1973. Even the WR's weren't used for catching passes, let alone OJ

juice
06-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
TMEP was a great runner before he decided to become a killer. No doubt about that. Best back for the Bills? Probably so. Thurm would be 2nd.

Here's my top 5:

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith
Tony Dorsett

NOTE: I was also a huge fan of Detroit's OTHER #20. If he hadn't injured his knees early on, he would've been their all time greatest back.

Emmitt lived off of one of the greatest lines in League History, he might not even make the top 10 if not for Jimmy Johnson putting things together down there, and Dorsett was a poor mans OJ but he was still better than Emmitt as a runner.

If you judge runners by stats then Emmitt makes the top 10 but just looking at the individuals ability Emmitt was probably the 3rd best in Cowboy History behind Dorsett and Walker.

Brown, Peyton, Sanders and Simpson were on the same level.

TedMock
06-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Brown
Payton
Sayers
Simpson
Sanders

In that order.

LarryBoy
06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Was Simpson a great man....no.

Was he the greatest Bills RB.............Yes.

BillsOverDolphins
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
over 2000 yards rushing in a 14 game season is simply mind-boggling. How in the hell...

Halbert
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM

The Buffalo Bills AS A TEAM didn't pass for over 1,000 yards for the season in 1973. Even the WR's weren't used for catching passes, let alone OJ
I only used that as an example. Go back to any of his seasons and compare his receptions against the other top backs in the league that year.

OJ didnt catch many passes for the simple reason that he wasn't particularly good at it. That didn't stop him from being one of the best of all time, it just meant he didn't get there by catching balls.

juice
06-11-2004, 10:04 AM

I only used that as an example. Go back to any of his seasons and compare his receptions against the other top backs in the league that year.

OJ didnt catch many passes for the simple reason that he wasn't particularly good at it. That didn't stop him from being one of the best of all time, it just meant he didn't get there by catching balls.

This thought process, They didn't pass to him much because he couldn't catch, suggests that the WR also had stone hands.

Was it that "OJ didn't catch many passes because he wasn't particularly good at it" or was it that this team was built around it's stronge Running line and "OJ Left, OJ Right" as it's Bread and Butter?

I don't remember other great Backs such as Brown, Dickerson, Sanders etc. being utilized in the pass game alot either, Probably because they were great Runners.
Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins
over 2000 yards rushing in a 14 game season is simply mind-boggling. How in the hell...

Your team as a whole not passing for 1000 yds. is a starting point, then ride your Workhorse and Run Line into the record books.

In a 16 game season he would have been at around 2200-2300 yds. for the season... Untouchable
Originally posted by LarryBoy
Was Simpson a great man....no.

Was he the greatest Bills RB.............Yes.

Ability to separate the Athlete from the Individual is the Key... Good Post.