PDA

View Full Version : i know it's profootballtalk.com, but their Losman piece

nodnarb
06-05-2004, 01:15 PM
is a little concerning if true...

because nobody questions losman's athletic ability and arm strength. it's his mental abilities, and questions about his football intelligence, regular intelligence, instincts, memory, and ability to read defenses on the fly and make the right adjustments.

i hope that all of these doubts are unmerited. we won't know for 2, perhaps 4 years. BUt I hope Losman proves everyone wrong.

FROM PROFOOTBALL TALK:

LOSMAN PUTS THE "P" IN J.P.

We know that teams are required to rally 'round their draft picks, especially when they mortgage a piece of the future to jump up and get a guy they want. But we're hearing that the Buffalo Bills have taken the turd-polishing thing to a new level with the explanation they're offering regarding the initial Wonderlic score generated by rookie quarterback J.P. Losman, for whom the team sacrificed its 2005 first-round pick in order to acquire him in the 2004 draft.

Losman is one of the guys whose Wonderlic saw a dramatic rise from one season to the next, prompting speculation in some circles that he had access to the test before he took it the second time. Word is that the Bills privately are saying that Losman's initial score (which was somewhere in the teens) resulted from the fact that (egads!) he really had to pee.

Supposedly, Losman left the testing room so that he could relieve himself, and he didn't get back in time to generate a respectable score.

The hole in all of this, as we see it, is that the Wonderlic test is only 12 minutes long.

Twelve minutes! Unless J.P. was in danger of getting uromycsotisis poisoning a la Jerry Seinfeld in the garage of the shopping mall, there's no reason why he couldn't have held it in for 12 minutes.

If the excuse is true (and we doubt that it is), it's further evidence of Losman's stupidity.

Smart guys would have pissed before the 12-minute test began. Alternatively, they would have realized that leaving the test room for a pit stop might have affected adversely their ability to answer all 50 questions within the 12-minute span, which without a visit to the pee-pee palace requires players to progress through the page at a rate of more than four problems per minute.

We're also hearing that Losman's apparent cognitive limitations already have surfaced in team practices. Though it's normal for a rookie quarterback to be overwhelmed by NFL playbooks and terminologies, Losman got so discombobulated in his drills with the Bills that he started calling out his high school cadences.

Then again, maybe he just had to pee.

THenry2034
06-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Wow....what a very dumb and childish piece in a way. I mean...look at it this way. You can't control you're own boldily functions sometimes. I know every now and then I don't have to go #1, but then 5 minutes later it's like I gotta do it or I'll die.

Plus....you gotta answer 50 questions to the best of your abilities in 12 minutes. And granted the ones given out for free by websites are relativly easy, it's certain to get harder down the line. If you gotta piss, it's gotta mess up your concentration. Plus if you are only gone for 3 minutes, that still takes away three minutes from the measly 12 you are alloted for the test.

Know one should take this to heart....I'm sure people here have had some types of accademic performances tarnished due to them having to go to the bathroom on some occasion.

mybills
06-05-2004, 01:51 PM
What was his GPA in school? I'd go by that before I decide how smart/stupid he is. If it was really good, I'd say he had a piss poor excuse! ;)

Kramer
06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
PFT is the National Enquirer of football. Nuff' said.

Tatonka
06-05-2004, 02:51 PM
they act like the test is just something you run into, take and run out.. guarenteed that there was 15-30 minutes of talking, preptime, explaination and instruction before hand.. and this guy has obviously never forced gallons.. literally.. gallons of water down the hatch and then had to hold it..

also his comments about jp being disorganized and not picking up the offense is exactly opposite of everything we have read.

whatever..

TigerJ
06-05-2004, 03:51 PM
"We're also hearing that Losman's apparent cognitive limitations already have surfaced in team practices. Though it's normal for a rookie quarterback to be overwhelmed by NFL playbooks and terminologies, Losman got so discombobulated in his drills with the Bills that he started calling out his high school cadences."

"We're also hearing" duh!!!!! Losman himself stated as much in a well publicized article we've seen already. The fact that Pro Football talk is trying to pawn common knowledge off as some inside information is not only intellectually dishonest, it's stupid. The story about having to pee was also published all over the place. I'll admit that it was a bit silly for Losman to go and drink all that water in order to give a false reading on his weight (appear bigger than he is) but the Pro Football Talk article fails to mention that Losman has graduated (a semester early) with a degree that is not for dummies.

Every rookie QB has some rough moments. By all the accounts that have been coming out of the Bills' OTAs Losman has had generally a much better time of it than the other three first round picks. I have looked up rumors on Pro Football Talk before, but frankly this stuff is so stupid I think I'll stop. How can I believe in the credibility of anything else they print?

Goobylal
06-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Read this http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/8462847.htm?1c

Dozerdog
06-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Goobylal

for those who do not want to register-

use billszone@aol.com as the address and billszone as the password

Novacane
06-05-2004, 06:46 PM
OMG........next time Florio is on WGR55 I'm gonna call in and tell him what a rag his website is.

The Spaz
06-05-2004, 06:58 PM

That's what I want to hear!:jawdrop::drool:

JJamezz
06-05-2004, 07:14 PM
:lolpoint: "I think he's a nut job. You can have him."

Novacane
06-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
That's what I want to hear!:jawdrop::drool:

I'd never say another bad thing about TD if Losman turned out to be another Farve.

Stewie
06-05-2004, 09:17 PM

That article isnt too encouraging. 5 of 16 personell guys said Losman is most likely the biggest QB bust of this past draft. The rest of it is Armey's opinion.

Goobylal
06-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by paulB

That article isnt too encouraging. 5 of 16 personell guys said Losman is most likely the biggest QB bust of this past draft. The rest of it is Armey's opinion.
Depends on who those 5 personnel guys are. I'd take Armey's word over most.

Mr. Cynical
06-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Sigh....more question marks. :(

I think I'm going to take the "ostrich" approach and bury my head in the sand for awhile on this one. I just can't stomach the though of a continuing QB Carousel of Crap, so I have to believe JP will come through.

If he doesn't, it will be a good 4 years before management finally gives up on him and gets another QB, which then means 2 more years after that to get the new QB ramped up. That means 6 total years from today before we have a solid QB.

Doing the math....Kelly left in 1996....new QB's ready in 2010.....that's 14 F***ING YEARS OF THE QB CAROUSEL OF CRAP.

I will totally LOSE it if that happens. :xplode:

Ok, time to play ostrich. ;)

SABURZFAN
06-06-2004, 05:59 AM
i didn't care for losman BEFORE we drafted him.i was a little upset at the draft party when we gave up what we gave up for him.

i hope this Armey guy is right though.:mad:

Jan Reimers
06-06-2004, 06:00 AM
Why do we pay any attention to this kind of drivel?

mybills
06-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Why do we pay any attention to this kind of drivel?

:hi5:

Stewie
06-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Sigh....more question marks. :(

I think I'm going to take the "ostrich" approach and bury my head in the sand for awhile on this one. I just can't stomach the though of a continuing QB Carousel of Crap, so I have to believe JP will come through.

If he doesn't, it will be a good 4 years before management finally gives up on him and gets another QB, which then means 2 more years after that to get the new QB ramped up. That means 6 total years from today before we have a solid QB.

Doing the math....Kelly left in 1996....new QB's ready in 2010.....that's 14 F***ING YEARS OF THE QB CAROUSEL OF CRAP.

I will totally LOSE it if that happens. :xplode:

Ok, time to play ostrich. ;)

I agree with the idea but I think the timeframe will be more compressed. Six years might as well be eternity in today's NFL. I think if Losman doesn't show major improvements by the end of next season, the bills will try the FA approach again.

Mr. Cynical
06-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by paulB

I agree with the idea but I think the timeframe will be more compressed. Six years might as well be eternity in today's NFL. I think if Losman doesn't show major improvements by the end of next season, the bills will try the FA approach again.

He will likely not get much time this season, so next season will basically be his first. They won't make any snap decisions on someone they spent a #1, #2 and a #5 on. They will need to give him at least 2 full seasons after this one, so that is at least 3 years from today before they will make the call.

Granted we could get lucky in FA and stop the QB Carousel of Crap 4 years from now instead of 6, but still a long time. :(

ScottLawrence
06-06-2004, 12:36 PM
There wont be a QB Carousel of Crap if Losman turns into be the next Terry Bradshaw.

Mr. Cynical
06-06-2004, 01:44 PM
...or the next Brett Favre. :up:

(crossing my fingers)

B-DON
06-06-2004, 05:01 PM
...or next jim kelly

superbills
06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
... or next Doug Flutie

:couch:

The_Philster