• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Wire vying to be Bills' starting free safety

By MARK GAUGHAN
    The upward progression of Coy Wire's football career hit a ceiling last season.
    Wire promptly went from starter to backup the day veteran strong safety Lawyer Milloy landed unexpectedly in the lap of the Buffalo Bills.

Since Milloy is only 30 years old and has a long-term contract, Wire's chances of regaining the top strong safety job in the foreseeable future are remote.

However, Wire hopes to take another route to the starting lineup - at free safety.
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I'm glad they're giving Wire a legitimate shot at FS. He has a great attitude, work ethic, intelligence and athleticism. I think we'll see him starting next to Milloy.

Great picture of one of our greatest presidents, too, Phil.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

i really hope he wins the job.. we really couldnt be any worse at FS.. we havent had a pick from a FS since Kieon Carpenter.. just to give you an idea of how long it has been.. so it is not like reese has some greatly added value.. and wire hits like a truck.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

I hoipe he wins the job and it's great he hits like a truck but he better learn to cover too.

Comment

• madness23
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
          I hoipe he wins the job and it's great he hits like a truck but he better learn to cover too.
          Seems like that is the biggest knock on him, I really hope he can overcome the coverage problems.

Comment

• Kramer
            • May 2004

Does anyone know what his 40 time is? I recall it not being that impressive. And the one position where the 40 matters is secondary. (and WR)

Comment

• juice
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
              i really hope he wins the job.. we really couldnt be any worse at FS.. we havent had a pick from a FS since Kieon Carpenter.. just to give you an idea of how long it has been.. so it is not like reese has some greatly added value.. and wire hits like a truck.
              Reese has the deep coverage skills that are needed from the FS position... It was apparent last year when he played that he had the best coverage abilities of any safety on our charts.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Kramer
                Does anyone know what his 40 time is? I recall it not being that impressive. And the one position where the 40 matters is secondary. (and WR)
                He ran a 4.56 in the 40.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

AGILITY TESTS
                  4.56 in the 40-yard dash … 3.87 in the 20-yard shuttle … 11.11 60-yard shuttle … 6.62 in the three-cone drill … 38.5-inch vertical jump … 10'0" broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 28 times … 426-pound bench press … 32 1/4-inch arm length … 9 3/4-inch hands … Right-handed.

Also the 40 yard dash isn't as important at the WR position as itis to get open and find the soft spots.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                    • Apr 2003

426 lb bench? hes a strong fellow...but anyways,

id be willing to bet all 3200+ (measly, i know) of my ZB's on wire NOT starting more than 8 games this year at FS, any takers?
                    the dude abides

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

A 38.5 inch vertical? Whos says "white men can't jump"?!

Comment

• Voltron
                        • Jul 2002

Did Shelby see the new picture of Coy? I thought for sure that would have already been talked about here
                        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

I hope he wins the spot.
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                            • Mar 2003

No offense, but he won't get it if he constantly gets schooled by Tim Euhus.
                            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• B-DON
                              hi
                              • Mar 2004

i want him to get it but i dont see it happenning for the opener. i see him replacin reese after reese sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X