PDA

View Full Version : Wire vying to be Bills' starting free safety

The_Philster
06-06-2004, 08:06 AM
By MARK GAUGHAN
The upward progression of Coy Wire's football career hit a ceiling last season.
Wire promptly went from starter to backup the day veteran strong safety Lawyer Milloy landed unexpectedly in the lap of the Buffalo Bills.

Since Milloy is only 30 years old and has a long-term contract, Wire's chances of regaining the top strong safety job in the foreseeable future are remote.

However, Wire hopes to take another route to the starting lineup - at free safety. ...
more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040606/2010629.asp)

Jan Reimers
06-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I'm glad they're giving Wire a legitimate shot at FS. He has a great attitude, work ethic, intelligence and athleticism. I think we'll see him starting next to Milloy.

Great picture of one of our greatest presidents, too, Phil.

Tatonka
06-06-2004, 11:14 AM
i really hope he wins the job.. we really couldnt be any worse at FS.. we havent had a pick from a FS since Kieon Carpenter.. just to give you an idea of how long it has been.. so it is not like reese has some greatly added value.. and wire hits like a truck.

The Spaz
06-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I hoipe he wins the job and it's great he hits like a truck but he better learn to cover too.

madness
06-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I hoipe he wins the job and it's great he hits like a truck but he better learn to cover too.

Seems like that is the biggest knock on him, I really hope he can overcome the coverage problems.

Kramer
06-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know what his 40 time is? I recall it not being that impressive. And the one position where the 40 matters is secondary. (and WR)

juice
06-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i really hope he wins the job.. we really couldnt be any worse at FS.. we havent had a pick from a FS since Kieon Carpenter.. just to give you an idea of how long it has been.. so it is not like reese has some greatly added value.. and wire hits like a truck.

Reese has the deep coverage skills that are needed from the FS position... It was apparent last year when he played that he had the best coverage abilities of any safety on our charts.

The Spaz
06-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kramer
Does anyone know what his 40 time is? I recall it not being that impressive. And the one position where the 40 matters is secondary. (and WR)

He ran a 4.56 in the 40.

The Spaz
06-06-2004, 12:29 PM
AGILITY TESTS
4.56 in the 40-yard dash … 3.87 in the 20-yard shuttle … 11.11 60-yard shuttle … 6.62 in the three-cone drill … 38.5-inch vertical jump … 10'0" broad jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 28 times … 426-pound bench press … 32 1/4-inch arm length … 9 3/4-inch hands … Right-handed.

Also the 40 yard dash isn't as important at the WR position as itis to get open and find the soft spots.

mypoorfriendme
06-06-2004, 01:46 PM
426 lb bench? hes a strong fellow...but anyways,

id be willing to bet all 3200+ (measly, i know) of my ZB's on wire NOT starting more than 8 games this year at FS, any takers?

Mr. Cynical
06-06-2004, 01:48 PM
A 38.5 inch vertical? Whos says "white men can't jump"?! :D

Voltron
06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Did Shelby see the new picture of Coy? I thought for sure that would have already been talked about here :snicker:

elltrain22
06-06-2004, 03:39 PM
I hope he wins the spot.

ShadowHawk7
06-06-2004, 04:05 PM
No offense, but he won't get it if he constantly gets schooled by Tim Euhus.

B-DON
06-06-2004, 04:12 PM
i want him to get it but i dont see it happenning for the opener. i see him replacin reese after reese sucks

Hermanator21
06-06-2004, 05:04 PM
I hope he can learn to cover, if he does then Coy will be awsome..but if he can't cover or learn too then I say try him at OLB in Posey's spot... he just too good of a hitter to not be on the field.

smack541
06-06-2004, 07:21 PM
I love this move. Coy deserves a shot. You didnt hear him ***** at all last year with the situation. He had some bright moments in his rookie year and that was the first time he played safety. I hope he does great!

chubluv
06-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I think it is Coys job to lose when training camp starts.

Tatonka
06-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by juice
Reese has the deep coverage skills that are needed from the FS position... It was apparent last year when he played that he had the best coverage abilities of any safety on our charts.

yeah.. reese was a fountain of big plays last year.. :rolleyes:

if he can cover so well, we didnt he get a single pick. he is an average FS.. and he will never be any better.. the sky is still the limit with wire.

TigerJ
06-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I like Wire, and I hope he can do it. He has enough range for free safety. The one knock on his physical abilities is that he has stiff hips. As I understand it, flexibility in the hips is important to make a smooth transition from backpedalling to running with a receiver. Also, flexibility in the hips would seem to be important in making sharp changes of direction to stay with a receiver. What I don't know is whether with physical training your hips can become more flexible. In every other way, I don't see any reason why Wire couldn't be a very good free safety.

DraftBoy
06-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I like Wire not at FS though. Id rather have him at OLB (even though hes undersized). I have high hopes of FS Mark Graham to make the team or at least the PS. Hes got good speed, cover skills and size. Plus he's a UB alum!

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
I like Wire only because his name sounds cool as hell. :D

DraftBoy
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I like Wire only because his name sounds cool as hell. :D

Ill give you that :drunked:

bills_7
06-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
i want him to get it but i dont see it happenning for the opener. i see him replacin reese after reese sucks
i would rather have PP start over reese....
I'd give the job to wire... no hurt in trying him out

mypoorfriendme
06-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
yeah.. reese was a fountain of big plays last year.. :rolleyes:

if he can cover so well, we didnt he get a single pick. he is an average FS.. and he will never be any better.. the sky is still the limit with wire.

not a single pick because qb's didnt dare to throw to the man he was covering!!!! :snicker2:

Jan Reimers
06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
not a single pick because qb's didnt dare to throw to the man he was covering!!!! :snicker2:

That's it. Izell strikes fear in the hearts of opposing QBs.

Jan Reimers
06-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Seriously, though, I think Wire will be a real good FS. He's too small to play OLB effectively.

The Natrix
06-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Wire will be starting, no doubt.

DraftBoy
06-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Wire will be starting, no doubt.

Due to lack of competition more so than actually winning the job.

BuffaloRanger
06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Is it really that noble when a player doesn't ***** about not starting? It just means he doesn't let his pride get in the way and shoot his mouth off like so many other "pampered since they were in the 7th grade" athletes.

A player makes the same amount of money whether he starts or not. If the season salary was on a sliding scale based upon games started, then it would be different.

HAMMER
06-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
I'm glad they're giving Wire a legitimate shot at FS. He has a great attitude, work ethic, intelligence and athleticism. I think we'll see him starting next to Milloy.

Great picture of one of our greatest presidents, too, Phil.

Yes it is a great picture, but the mountains next to it are BODACIOUS!