PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign Jonathan "Freddie" Smith

The Spaz
06-08-2004, 04:13 PM
The Bills today announced that the team has signed wide receiver Jonathan "Freddie" Smith, the team's second of two seventh-round selections in the 2004 NFL Draft and the 214th player taken overall. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

A versatile offensive weapon at Georgia Tech, Smith was a regular for the Yellow Jackets at wide receiver and punt returner. He also saw action at halfback and quarterback during his collegiate career. He finished his career ranked second in Georgia Tech history with 174 receptions and ranks fourth in school annals with 2,238 yards receiving. His 12 touchdown catches rank ninth on the Yellow Jackets career-record list while his 2,931 all-purpose yards rank tenth on the all-time list.

Smith becomes the third of the Bills six 2004 draft picks to sign with the team, joining TE Tim Euhus and OT Dylan McFarland as the others.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=245385&dsp=press

B-DON
06-08-2004, 04:45 PM
i didnt expect this, it could be trouble for antonio brown

mypoorfriendme
06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
seems like lately the bills have been avid about signing ALL their picks, even before training camp

The_Philster
06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
seems like lately the bills have been avid about signing ALL their picks, even before training camp

Lately? :huh: We've had a history of doing that since the Butler years.

mypoorfriendme
06-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Lately? :huh: We've had a history of doing that since the Butler years.

im 17 which gives me only about 3 years of real fanatical bills knowledge :sadwalk:

The Spaz
06-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
i didnt expect this, it could be trouble for antonio brown

Why wouldn't we sign a draft pick?

The_Philster
06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
im 17 which gives me only about 3 years of real fanatical bills knowledge :sadwalk:

Ok...gotcha :up: Nothing to be sad about...I was 22 before I started really getting into football period.

TigerJ
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
I don't get it. His nickname is "Fast Freddie." He is neither Freddie nor fast. How did he ever get the nickname?

The Spaz
06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I don't get it. His nickname is "Fast Freddie." He is neither Freddie nor fast. How did he ever get the nickname?

He's probably more quick and shifty than fast. Some may interprete that as fast.:idunno: What interesting is he is ranked 2nd all time at Georgia Tech receiving despite not being that fast.:up:

TigerJ
06-08-2004, 09:47 PM
He was productive in college. I'll give you that. I'm assuming you mean second all time at his college alma Mater (Georgia?) rather than in the NCSAA division one.

The Spaz
06-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
He was productive in college. I'll give you that. I'm assuming you mean second all time at his college alma Mater (Georgia?) rather than in the NCSAA division one.

Yes.

Turf
06-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

He's probably more quick and shifty than fast. Some may interprete that as fast.:idunno: What interesting is he is ranked 2nd all time at Georgia Tech receiving despite not being that fast.:up:

Hence the name, Fast Freddie.

DraftBoy
06-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Did he ever take any punt returns or kick returns to the house throughout his career, or what was his avg net return yards??

The Spaz
06-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
Did he ever take any punt returns or kick returns to the house throughout his career, or what was his avg net return yards??

AT TECH: Versatile, big-play performer who was Tech’s top offensive weapon in 2003. . . All-ACC performer who enjoyed one of the top seasons ever by a Georgia Tech receiver as a senior . . . A talented wide receiver and punt returner who has also lined up at tailback and quarterback at times in his career . . . Former high school quarterback with tremendous athletic ability . . . Drafted in the seventh round (214th pick) by the Buffalo Bills in the 2004 NFL Draft.

Finished his career in second place in Tech history in career receptions (174), fourth in career receiving yards (2,238) and ninth in career TD catches (12) . . . Scored 15 touchdowns on receptions, rushes and returns and also threw one touchdown pass . . . Also stands 10th with 2,931 career all-purpose yards . . . Career average of 12.2 yards per punt return ranks fifth in Tech history.

2003: The leading punt returner and second-leading receiver in the ACC and a second-team all-conference selection . . . Second in the ACC with 6.0 receptions and 87.5 receiving yards per game . . . Led the league in punt returns with a 11.7-yard average and two touchdowns while ranking second in all-purpose yards (120.7) per game . . . Ranked 22nd in the nation in punt return average, 22nd receiving yards per game and 25th in receptions per game . . . Set Tech single-season records for receptions (78) and yards (1,138) . . . Had six 100-yard games and collected more than twice as many receptions as Tech’s number two receiver Nate Curry . . . Averaged 6.9 receptions, 109.3 receiving yards and 151.5 all-purpose yards in ACC games . . . Earned three ACC Player of the Week awards during the season, including back-to-back weeks in which he was named ACC Offensive Back of the Week . . . With his receiving and rushing yards, Smith has accounted for 27.5 percent of Tech’s offense (1,183 of 4,298 yards), by far the highest percentage of any receiver in the league.

http://ramblinwreck.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_jonathan00.html