PDA

View Full Version : Centers Rec. streak is over

TacklingDummy
10-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Larry did not catch a ball today for the first time in I don't know how many games.

Why the Bills gave him a contract extension this off season I will never know. Crosby is clearly the better blocker and there is no room in this offense for a pass catching FB.

Congrats Larry on the streak.

Pride
10-27-2002, 03:29 PM
ouch

Pride
10-27-2002, 03:29 PM
Is this the best record Centers has ever had as a pro?

Record being 5-3

Halbert
10-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Because he's a clutch third down back?

Sorry to see it end but congrats to the career leading reception running back of all time.

SoCalBillsFan
10-27-2002, 03:31 PM
why they gave him a contract? Are you kidding? He has one game where he doesnt catch a pass? Oh no, he's horrible!

they guy is clutch on third down. Maybe today he wasnt a factor, but last week he certainly was, and in other games he has been. Im very glad to have him on my team.

Ther is plenty of room in the offense. On third down he is very useful.

TacklingDummy
10-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Its not just 1 game SoCal. And no one said he was horrible.

Larry's stat. this entire season have been on the downside. 20 catches 195 yards in 8 games. I won't be surprised if he is cut next year.

I glad to see that Kevin Gilbride is smart enough not to use Larry the way Larry had been used his whole career. As we seen last year and Larry has seen his whole career, you don't win many football games win you throw the ball 70+ times a year to a FB.

Buffarama
10-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Crosby is looking good, and Centers is definitely worth having on our team.

SoCalBillsFan
10-27-2002, 03:55 PM
I agree completely with the second half of your post, Im SO glad hes not gonna catch even near that many balls this season.

but that doesnt mean he isnt useful. Its not like we are breaking to bank to keep him. He's pretty cheap, correct me if I am wrong.

and its not about stats. 20 catches in 8 games is great if yo uask me, because 12 of those catches likely came on third down or in important situations. that's what counts. if he catches 40 balls this year, that is awesome. THe guy is a great outlet and a great third down weapon.

who says he has to catch 70 balls to be good? Im glad gilbride is using him the way he should be used. He complements the offense very nicely.

TacklingDummy
10-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

who says he has to catch 70 balls to be good? Im glad gilbride is using him the way he should be used. He complements the offense very nicely.

I agree. The less of Centers is not only better for the offense but better for Larry.

casdhf
10-27-2002, 05:55 PM
I liked you better when you wern't posting :D

TacklingDummy
10-27-2002, 06:07 PM
ahhh bite me

casdhf
10-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Again....better when not posting :shakeno:

Kelly The Dog
10-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Centers is extremely valuable IMO and if we use Crosby or another fullback like we are now I would want Centers as our 1 or 2 FB for another three years.

venis2k1
10-27-2002, 11:43 PM
this from espn.com:

In the Oct. 27 victory over the Lions, FB Larry Centers failed to catch a pass, ending his consecutive games streak with a reception at 143. Centers had the league's third-longest active streak entering this weekend, behind Jerry Rice (247) and Tim Brown (146).

lunatic_bills_fan
10-27-2002, 11:48 PM
the biggest thing Centres does well, is give the defence another man to cover in passing situations.The man has good hands and when matched up against alot of the linebackers creates a good mismatch. If him being in there means a Def-Coord has to think about bringing the house on a blitz than thats good enough for me.Sometimes I even amaze myself with the lack of football knowledge I actually have

Sabre Ally
10-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy
ahhh bite me

You owe J7 a quarter :D

The_Philster
10-28-2002, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally

You owe J7 a quarter :D
:lol: Actually, with inflation, doesn't he owe her more now?