PDA

View Full Version : April showers praise on special teams

The Spaz
06-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Buffalo Bills special teams coach Bobby April can't be certain which players he will have at his disposal and has yet to install a single scheme he will employ on kick coverage or returns.
However, April has plenty of optimism about his new job.

Special teams are a reflection of the overall depth and talent on a football team. April sees good speed and athleticism among his prospective bomb-squadders.

"I think we've got a unique group of linebackers," April said. "I really think those guys are good - Josh Stamer, Dominique Stevenson, Angelo Crowell and Mario Hagan, who didn't play much last year. Those guys have high expectations and there's a lot of promise there. The tight ends are good, and I think the corners and safeties are good players. That's the core of your special teams."

Just like on offense this year, the Bills' braintrust expects special teams will be

boosted by experienced coaching. April, 50, is recognized around the NFL as one of the top special teams aides and has had successful stints in Pittsburgh, Atlanta and New Orleans. He joined the Bills after three seasons in St. Louis, where special teams were not effective.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040611/1044867.asp

The Spaz
06-11-2004, 09:20 AM
Good to hear McGee doing well, apparently really well.

zone
06-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Did you miss all of last year?
He was not only a rock on special teams (the best ST player we've seen since tasker IMO), but a staple on defense when he was in there; he was hunting the ball and came up with some nice deflections and picks. He tied for second on the team in int’s with only limited playing time. T. McGee is the REAL DEAL!

The Spaz
06-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by zone
Did you miss all of last year?
He was not only a rock on special teams (the best ST player we've seen since tasker IMO), but a staple on defense when he was in there; he was hunting the ball and came up with some nice deflections and picks. He tied for second on the team in int’s with only limited playing time. T. McGee is the REAL DEAL!

Yes I know he was good last year I was just saying he is continuing to do well.:up:

mypoorfriendme
06-11-2004, 12:05 PM
i thuoght april was a sub-par special teams coach, but i guess not. at any rate, good news is good news!! with players like wire, crowell, and mcgee, im sure we wont have a problem filling the void left by sammy and polk

The Spaz
06-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i thuoght april was a sub-par special teams coach, but i guess not. at any rate, good news is good news!! with players like wire, crowell, and mcgee, im sure we wont have a problem filling the void left by sammy and polk

The problem with April in St. Louis is that Mike Martz was opposed to using starters on special teams when April's philosophy was to use the best players available.

Earthquake Enyart
06-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I am so happy that Danny Smith is finally gone. :bf1:

The Spaz
06-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I am so happy that Danny Smith is finally gone. :bf1:

Amen to that!:party::beers:

B-DON
06-11-2004, 01:50 PM
hopefully mcgee doesnt pull a thomas and get beat out by a rookie this year. hopefully mcgee and thomas get better from battling so hard against each other