PDA

View Full Version : AFC East - most talented WR division in the league

Tatonka
06-13-2004, 03:02 AM
I was talking to my buddy about this today.. i just didnt realize how packed the AFC east is with WR talent.. all 4 teams have good rbs now.. but from the talent at wr, i wouldnt be surprised to see more passing.

the bills - Moulds, Evans, Reed (top three) all high round draft picks. all have loads of talent, and it should show this year. Shaw, Aiken, Coleman (imho, this is our top three backups) - three solid backups that give us wiggle room when it comes to injuries. Campbell (underrated receiver), Euhas (pass catching TE) and Peters (is going to be a great goal line option).

Miami has really improved their wr group. Boston, Chambers, McMichael (he is as good as a wr).. those three will be on the field almost all the time.. which is solid, unfortunately.. hopefully boston sucks, but i have a feeling he will do well.

then behind them..
Snoop Minnis has played well in camps, and looks to have the 3rd wr spot.. he is a burner who is returning from injury.. but he was great as a rookie in KC.

derius thompson was a very good player in washington.. he didnt pick things up well last year.. which seems to happen to alot of FA wrs their first year with a new team.. but he is every bit the player that gadsen was... not bad for wr #4.

JR Tolver was their 4th rounder last year.. and is being viewed much like we see aiken.. a guy that should step up and play well this year.

Terance Wilkens as the #6.. kick returner type guy..
i would say that are completely set at WR..

then you look at the pats.. they have a great group with brown, branch, givens, johnson, patten, ben watson, and graham. all perfect guys for the offense they run. all can hurt you. and that list doesnt include jj stokes, who is on their roster too.

and the jets.. they finally got moss to play like a first rounder last year.. it took him the typical 3 years to get there.. mccareins is gonna be a very good player. wayne chrebet is a solid #3 and slot guy. their depth is the weakest in the division, but they have 3 guys coming into their 3rd year that could really help with that.. including ken-yon rambo from dallas.

baalworship
06-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I agree that the AFC East is loaded at the WR position. The best WR group in the division is the Pats followed closely by the the Bills and then Miami and New Jersey.

I don't think Boston is going to pan out for the Dolphins. While an upgrade over Derrius Thompson (who isn't), Boston's best days as a football player are behind him. He's more into bodybuilding than football.

The Spaz
06-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Behind Boston an dChambers the Dolphins have a bunch of unknowns Minnis didn't play at all last year year before that he played in 2 games. Thompson caught a total of 26 passes last year. J.R. Tolver didn't even play last year.
The Bills have players who have played at least 2 years (besides) and have shown what they can do mean while Dolphins are just guessing and hoping someone steps up. That's my take on the Dolphins WR's.

Also I can't even comment on the Jets WR Ken Yon Rambo and why he was even mentioned.:dizzy::up::beers:

SABURZFAN
06-13-2004, 08:50 AM
yeah...well...that's fine and dandy but they need QBs to throw them the ball.pennington and brady are the top QBs,bledsoe is looking to rebound,and i keep hearing the name rosenfels in miami.:gag:

:fishfry:

Tatonka
06-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
The Bills have players who have played at least 2 years (besides) and have shown what they can do mean while Dolphins are just guessing and hoping someone steps up. That's my take on the Dolphins WR's.

Also I can't even comment on the Jets WR Ken Yon Rambo and why he was even mentioned.:dizzy::up::beers:

well.. the bills have a roster full of the same spaz. you look at everyone elses roster and assume the worst.. why dont you look at the bills roster with the same attitude....

moulds - inconsistent his whole career has never put 2 great seasons up back to back.

evans - a rookie who has never done **** in the nfl, and probably wont, as very few rookie wrs do.

reed - at this point, has underperformed, showed a lack of speed, and a case of bad hands. has not given us a single big play or long td to be truely excited about. everyone is praying on the 3rd year thing.

shaw - maxed out his potential laster year.. no way he ever does better than that. just another slow wr who will never be a star and who celebrates like he will never see the endzone again, which is completely annoying.

aiken - slow and hasnt done ****.. a fourth round project who put on some muscle over the offseason.. big deal.

coleman - whatever on him..

brown - real fast but cant catch a cold and returns for ****.

see spaz, you can chose to look at things too ways. now i dont necessarily feel this way about all these players, but these are all thoughts that have gone through my mind at some point.

you look at other teams rosters with that same "they suck" attitude.. and it is just not an accurate assessment.

thompson could be a very good wr, just like he was in washington.. as i stated.. most FA wrs struggle in their 1st years w/ a new team. toliver is the same exact kind of rookie that aiken is to us. and minnis has looked extremely good coming off of his injury, so much so that he has the upper hand on the 3rd WR position.. he was an explosive rookie with speed and hands. he could make a difference.

same thing with ken-yon rambo.. he has alot of skill.. you dismiss him why? because he is not a bill.. that is why.. if he was on our roster, you would be singing a different tune.

The Spaz
06-13-2004, 01:12 PM
I looked at NFL.com at gave you there #'s. Well if I look into the future I can tell you more. I am basing it on what they have and all of the Bills backup 3-5 receivers have had better statistics than the Dolphins players. Yeah Rambo has been just amazingn how could anyone dismiss him:rofl: I put Ken-Yon Rambo right there with our 7th Round pick Reggie Germany.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235145

The Spaz
06-13-2004, 01:17 PM
same thing with ken-yon rambo.. he has alot of skill.. you dismiss him why? because he is not a bill.. that is why.. if he was on our roster, you would be singing a different tune.

Don't be putting words in my mouth. I give you my view and you are giving me yours and we don't have to agree it's my opinion.

justasportsfan
06-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

you look at everyone elses roster and assume the worst..
don't you do the same when you talk about Drew. :earpoke:

buffmaniac
06-13-2004, 02:11 PM
We still have the best WR in the division IMO. Moulds is a beast and he looks primed to have a big year.

Dozerdog
06-13-2004, 02:17 PM
I don't think the AFC East has the best WRs -

Look at the NFC North- Moss, a healthy Robinson, on Minny- Detroit now has Charle Rogers and Roy Williams, Az Hakim as the #3- they are going to explode- (best young group in the league), Green Bay is solid, only The Bears a re little suspect- bu tthey still Have Terrell and Booker.

Dozerdog
06-13-2004, 02:19 PM
NFC West is up and coming as well- Cards have Fitz and Boldin, Rams have the best two starters in football with Bruce & Holt, Seattle is solid- only San Fran has slipped losing Owens ....

Michael82
06-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

EXACTLY! :shakeno:

EM Bills Fan 80
06-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Ill tell you one thing about Marvin "Snoop" Minnis, if he can produce like he was able to in college, the Dolphins have a real player. He's also still young. Injuries have set him back thus far, but watch out for him.

Tatonka
06-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

no.. 11 years of history have told me all i need to know about drew.

Halbert
06-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Reed and Bledsoe will have solid seasons, or better. Bet on it.

TigerJ
06-13-2004, 11:16 PM
What about running backs?

Bills: Travis Henry, Willis McGahee

Dolphins: Ricky Williams

Patriots: Corey Dillon

Jets: Curtis Martin

Of the four, only Dillon was under 1000 yards last season, and that was because he was in Marvin Lewis' doghouse and did not get the snaps. Ricky Williams led the league. We all know about Travis, and most of us have high hopes for Willis McGahee. Martin has never had under 1,000 yards in a single season. What other division is that strong top to bottom at RB?

Dozerdog
06-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
What about running backs?

Bills: Travis Henry, Willis McGahee

Dolphins: Ricky Williams

Patriots: Corey Dillon

Jets: Curtis Martin

Of the four, only Dillon was under 1000 yards last season, and that was because he was in Marvin Lewis' doghouse and did not get the snaps. Ricky Williams led the league. We all know about Travis, and most of us have high hopes for Willis McGahee. Martin has never had under 1,000 yards in a single season. What other division is that strong top to bottom at RB?

AFC South?

Edge James, Eddie George, Fred Taylor, and he kid from the Texans, - Dominick Davis?

Goobylal
06-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Williams didn't lead the league last year. He actually got 16 more yards than Henry on 61 more carries (!). Dillon may be on the decline, as Martin probably will be as well.

As for Minnis, I doubt he'll amount to anything. He's way too skinny (6'1" and 171#).

Tatonka
06-14-2004, 12:04 AM
good point tiger.

how much does marvin harrison weight, goobylal?

chubluv
06-14-2004, 08:13 AM
I would have to say the Bills have the best starting 3 WR on paper, but the Patriots have the best group overall. In regards to RB's our divison has a bunch of oldies that have carried alot in the past how much more can Williams & Martin handle & how old is Dillon.

Goobylal
06-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
good point tiger.

how much does marvin harrison weight, goobylal?
About 180#.

And I should clarify my RB comments to say that Williams is still a great RB and in the prime of his career.

TigerJ
06-14-2004, 09:05 AM
I guess it was two years ago that Ricky had the most total yards. He is 27 years old and in theory ought to be in the prime of his career. Among AFC East running backs, only Martin is over 30. He's 31. In his "off" year in 2002 when everyone was saying he may have hit the wall, he gained 1094 yards and had a 4.2 per carry average. We can speculate that he might be getting old, but his 1308 yards last season gives no evidence of it. Dillon will hit 30 in October. It's conceivable he could be getting old too. His 3.9 yards per carry tied for the lowest of his career, but it could also be argued that having only 138 carries last season, he is rested. I won't belabor Travis Henry and Willis McGahee since we all know about them.

For the AFC South Eddie George is about the same age as Curtis Martin. He has remained pretty productive, dipping below 1,000 yards only two years ago, He yards per carry haven't been very impressive, being under 3.5 for the last three seasons. There has even been some speculation that the Titans might release him.

Edgering James is highly talented but has had a little difficulty staying healthy. After blowing out his knee he missed 10 games in 2001, 2 games in 2002 and 3 games last year. I know it can take a while to come back, but there are some who would say he's still not the player he was before his injury.

After two good seasons, it's probably safe to say that Fred Taylor has probably licked the injury bug and should be considered a top NFL back. I sure wouldn't mind having him as my running back.

Domanick Davis had a great rookie season considering he only started 10 games. Physically, he looks very similar to Travis Henry and may turn out to be as productive.

Overall, I think the AFC South is very good, but I'd still take the AFC East.

bledslow
06-14-2004, 03:20 PM
bills the best receivers????? il take brown branch and givens(david.p also) over moulds reed(terrible) and evans(never played a down,good god ppl). givens and branch are a step above whoever the second receiver for buffalo is(david p also) after that playoff season last year

Voltron
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bledslow
bills the best receivers????? il take brown branch and givens(david.p also) over moulds reed(terrible) and evans(never played a down,good god ppl). givens and branch are a step above whoever the second receiver for buffalo is(david p also) after that playoff season last year

:drinker: :smoke:

Goobylal
06-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Last year is last year bledslow. And Brown is done.

ublinkwescore
06-15-2004, 09:54 AM
I thought Corey Dillon was a raider?

Damn Raiders fans out here - bunch of liars.

TigerJ
06-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Corey Dillon is a Patriot. I thought that was old news

Goobylal
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Corey Dillon is definitely old news.