• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Bledsoe's the man

By Kevin Mannix
    Despite his problems in the last year and a half and the fact that the Bills picked another quarterback in the first round of this draft, Drew Bledsoe is still Buffalo's quarterback of the present, at least in the estimation of ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski.

``I probably looked at 10-12 Bills games last year,'' said Jaworski, a former Pro Bowl quarterback with the Eagles. ``I saw no decline in his physical talent, his ability to throw the football and throw ropes 40-45 yards down the field.''

As Jaworski sees it, Bledsoe will get better once his protection improves.
    ...scroll down for more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • finsrclowns
    • Apr 2004

Ron Jaworski is one of the smartest analysts out there, particularly about the QB position. This guy watches more film than anyone and he knows what to look for. IMO his analysis of Bledsoe and the Bills offense is right on. Having said that I don't see how we've done enough personnel wise to bolster the OL for this year. McNally better be an amazing coach.
    finsrclowns

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by finsrclowns
      Having said that I don't see how we've done enough personnel wise to bolster the OL for this year. McNally better be an amazing coach.
      I expected us to go to the playoffs last year w/ the talent we had. Put a 90 yr old woman behind a Porshe (GW and KG) the car wouldn't be performing close to it's potential.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Ron Jaworski is one of the smartest analysts out there, particularly about the QB position. This guy watches more film than anyone and he knows what to look for. IMO his analysis of Bledsoe and the Bills offense is right on. Having said that I don't see how we've done enough personnel wise to bolster the OL for this year. McNally better be an amazing coach.
        I still don't know why people doubt McNally! His track record has shown that IF he has at least a little talent with which to work, he can make a successful O-line. Well he's stated that this is the most talent with which he's had to work, and that's saying something. The Bills are set at LT, RT, and RG. And judging by the Bills keeping Teague and not pursuing Bober, McNally is apparently happy with him as well. That leaves LG, which isn't a critical position. A guy like Tucker could be just fine there. Also remember that featuring the running game will help take pressure off of Bledsoe and the O-line as well.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal

I still don't know why people doubt McNally! His track record has shown that IF he has at least a little talent with which to work, he can make a successful O-line. Well he's stated that this is the most talent with which he's had to work, and that's saying something. The Bills are set at LT, RT, and RG. And judging by the Bills keeping Teague and not pursuing Bober, McNally is apparently happy with him as well. That leaves LG, which isn't a critical position. A guy like Tucker could be just fine there. Also remember that featuring the running game will help take pressure off of Bledsoe and the O-line as well.
          because we don't care what he's done elsewhere? It's all hype until he accomplishes something as a bill.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• finsrclowns
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal

I want to see it too. I've been hearing about the talent, potential, blah blah blah of our line for the past 2 years and what they've delivered is an average YPC in the run game and allowed over a hundred sacks in the passing game. Anyone that watched that group have a number of games that closely resembled a jail break has to wonder whether coaching will solve their problems, particularly up the middle. I hope to God it can but I'm from Missouri on this one. If Pucillo starts I'm getting a prescription for Prozac.
            finsrclowns

Comment

• B-DON
              hi
              • Mar 2004

grab me a bottle while your at it if pucillo starts

Comment

• Halbert
                I'm Not Normal
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                because we don't care what he's done elsewhere? It's all hype until he accomplishes something as a bill.
                That's it. You're out of the McNally is God club for good.

Comment

• buffmaniac
                  • May 2003

I want to see it too. I've been hearing about the talent, potential, blah blah blah of our line for the past 2 years and what they've delivered is an average YPC in the run game and allowed over a hundred sacks in the passing game. Anyone that watched that group have a number of games that closely resembled a jail break has to wonder whether coaching will solve their problems, particularly up the middle. I hope to God it can but I'm from Missouri on this one. If Pucillo starts I'm getting a prescription for Prozac.
                  I agree that I want to see it on the field. But what gets me to believe that coaching is so important with the OL is when I look at NE's OL. I mean NE's OL is made up of a bunch of no names really:
                  Light - Hochstein - Koppen - Andruzzi - Ashworth

Yet they give Brady all day to throw the ball. Maybe these guys are better than I think but I have to believe coaching is a big part of this.

So the question I have to ask myself is do we have talent on this OL or not. And personally I think we do. I just think we need some better coaching. And I don't think it is just the position coach although he is the most important. But also the change in the offensive scheme and play-calling I think will make a difference as well. I think with more of a commitment to the running game and with quicker developing routes meaning the ball is out of Bledsoe's hands faster will also help the OL play better. That said having an OL coach like McNally will definitely help. The guy just knows how to coach an OL and he has done it everywhere he has been.

So personally I expect the OL to play better this year. They probably will not be great but they should be decent this year IMO. But we will have to wait and see.

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

I believe that McNally will be the missing piece for this OL unit. They all have some bit of talent and need to learn how to use it effectively. He will get the job done and make them know they can be so physically dominant. I can't wait to see what Bledsoe can do given enough time. He certainly has plenty of skills left.

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• chubluv
                      BillsZone bowling team MVP
                      • Jan 2003

If Pucillo starts I'm getting a prescription for Prozac.
                      Originally posted by B-DON
                      grab me a bottle while your at it if pucillo starts

thats way to funny!!!!!!!!

We are in 5th place
                      Clump is on the IR
                      Chubluv average is 167
                      Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
                      Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• zone
                        No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
                        I believe that McNally will be the missing piece for this OL unit. They all have some bit of talent and need to learn how to use it effectively. He will get the job done and make them know they can be so physically dominant. I can't wait to see what Bledsoe can do given enough time. He certainly has plenty of skills left.

I agree.
                        www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

I mean NE's OL is made up of a bunch of no names really:

That is true, but you should realize there is more to pass protection than their OL. First of all, they are zone-blocking team and intelligence is as big a component to their OL success as athleticism. Scheme-wise, they use their TE's and RB's a lot in pass protection. In fact, their RB and TE don't play if they can't protect well.

Also, one other factor is Brady. He makes quick reads and is real decisive. He gets the ball out quickly, which makes protecting him easier.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                            I mean NE's OL is made up of a bunch of no names really:

That is true, but you should realize there is more to pass protection than their OL. First of all, they are zone-blocking team and intelligence is as big a component to their OL success as athleticism. Scheme-wise, they use their TE's and RB's a lot in pass protection. In fact, their RB and TE don't play if they can't protect well.

Also, one other factor is Brady. He makes quick reads and is real decisive. He gets the ball out quickly, which makes protecting him easier.
                            Dink and dunk. Brady halways had a safety valve, while Gilbride kept extra blockers in to go deep down the field. Two totally different schemes.

5 fire hydrants would work in the NE scheme. But, they can't run the ball very well, and they can't go deep.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                              Dink and dunk. Brady halways had a safety valve, while Gilbride kept extra blockers in to go deep down the field. Two totally different schemes.

Except when he would run Sam Gash out to ther wideout 2-3 times a quarter- that was ridiculous.

More often than not it was just our front 5- and the opposition would blitz without fear that the Bills would do something unpredictable- like a draw play.

Comment

Working...
                              X