PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the June 1st cuts?

finsrclowns
06-13-2004, 11:25 AM
I for one was NOT expecting a windfall of talent to be available June 1st. And by drafting JP, whether you agree or disagree with that move, we pretty much eliminated our opportunity of getting an OL starter for LG from the draft. There was a fair amount of talk that June 1st might bring names like Barret Robbins, Frank Middleton and maybe even Larry Allen. It hasn't happened, at least not yet. It's looking more and more like we'll be choosing from Sullivan, Tucker or Puccillo for LG with Teague at center. To me that's depressing, but not really surprising. I'm a TD supporter, but if I had to pick on one thing with TD it's not making the OL a high enough priority.

Dozerdog
06-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Look at this draft-

One of the strongest overall draft classes in hstory- but for OL men- it was one of the weakest.

San Diego went into the draft with what- 3 or 4 TOTAL OL men under contract? Even with the extra picks, and a power running coach, they avoided OL. Why? Because the talent pool stunk!

I was perfectly fine with how the draft played out in retrospect. If you start passing over better players to chase lesser talent to fill a position- then you get yourself in trouble.

Look at Shannon Snell-Florida Guard. Everyone was gaga over this kid- 3rd to 5th rounder. He went undrafted. I don't want to waste a 3rd round pick on a guy like that.

I would rather be unsettled at guard this year, than be unsettled at QB for the next 3-4 years. We eliminated a large void in our future by selecting JP. I am confident they will find a suitable replacement for Ruben Brown

Dozerdog
06-13-2004, 11:39 AM
As far as the lack of June 1 cuts- this was also forseen by many.

1- Teams finally getting the hang of the cap- There was a quarter BILLION dollars in free cap space this season. So there are less cap mistakes getting the axe - at least right away

2- The cap inceased more than expected by $2 million per team- saving a number of jobs

3- Teams have the "luxury" of going to camp with some of these guys to see if they actually have a replacement ready.

However- where folks getting cut late for cap reasons (see Milloy last year) were unheard of before- I think more players may become available in that vein in the future as teams play hardball.