PDA

View Full Version : Time For Tags To Hit Back

The_Philster
06-13-2004, 07:23 PM
IT'S June, the NFL is gearing up, and Paul Tagliabue has a unique opportunity.

Tagliabue can be the first modern sports commissioner to try to win back — take back — his sport. He can be the first to finally draw a line, to make a genuine effort to stem the forces of popular culture that, by crude design, have been allowed to remove the sport from his sport.

When last we left Tagliabue, he was taking heat for a Super Bowl halftime show that had gone too far, yet not much further than those in the recent past, all on his watch....more (http://www.nypost.com/sports/22934.htm)

Turf
06-13-2004, 09:18 PM
A good honest article with an attempt to make a good point.
But the idea of attracting 17 yr old kids to football with excitement, beer, and cheerleaders is well, brilliant.

Tatonka
06-14-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Turf
A good honest article with an attempt to make a good point.
But the idea of attracting 17 yr old kids to football with excitement, beer, and cheerleaders is well, brilliant.

:rofl:

TedMock
06-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Tags is the Bill Clinton of sports commissioner's. He's smart enough not to touch anything. Just ride the gravy train that Rozelle built.

Earthquake Enyart
06-14-2004, 09:02 AM
I bet Phil Mushnick is gay.

Jan Reimers
06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
I happen to agree with Mushnick on most points. Football is a great game in its own right. The league doesn't have to pander so heavily to the 18-24 crowd for support.

If you're into football for the MTV halftime shows, the moronic player celebrations or the video games, you're missing a great sport.

I like to party and tailgate on football Sundays as well as anyone (and better than most), but I try not to act like a complete idiot, either.

I just wish the NFL would recognize that some of us in the 40-60 age range still support the game with our money and our time.

Pride
06-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Honestly, as much as I want things to change, I think this guy is off base.

For starters, I am 25 (next month) so I am in between the middle aged and the youth of today.

1. Beer is NOT the problem with the NFL. Beer at the games is NOT the problem with the NFL. You have to be careful where you sit, and perhaps make a larger family section in the stadium. Like it or not, beer is a staple of the game. Most fans are beer drinkers, long before they attended their first football game.

2. NFL has one of the cleanest images in regards to their brand name. I am not sure why he is concerned about this.

3. I do agree that the NFL should not allow its "guilty" of crimes players to be spokesmen.

4. I think the biggest issue is the line that has been crossed by the players and agents. It used to be that the players needed the NFL, but now it is the other way around... or so they think.

Players now feel that they DESERVE to get MORE than their contract from the NFL. They are above the law (OJ Proved it), they are not held accountable for their actions/words. The NFL needs to start laying down the law when it comes to some of these boneheaded things.

5. A final point. I feel the NFL does an AWESOME job promoting its support of the United Way. Show me another sport that does as much as these guys do for underprivilaged.

Earthquake Enyart
06-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Pride
Honestly, as much as I want things to change, I think this guy is off base.

For starters, I am 25 (next month) so I am in between the middle aged and the youth of today.

1. Beer is NOT the problem with the NFL. Beer at the games is NOT the problem with the NFL. You have to be careful where you sit, and perhaps make a larger family section in the stadium. Like it or not, beer is a staple of the game. Most fans are beer drinkers, long before they attended their first football game.

2. NFL has one of the cleanest images in regards to their brand name. I am not sure why he is concerned about this.

3. I do agree that the NFL should not allow its "guilty" of crimes players to be spokesmen.

4. I think the biggest issue is the line that has been crossed by the players and agents. It used to be that the players needed the NFL, but now it is the other way around... or so they think.

Players now feel that they DESERVE to get MORE than their contract from the NFL. They are above the law (OJ Proved it), they are not held accountable for their actions/words. The NFL needs to start laying down the law when it comes to some of these boneheaded things.

5. A final point. I feel the NFL does an AWESOME job promoting its support of the United Way. Show me another sport that does as much as these guys do for underprivilaged.

1. Agree.
2. He wants to knock off the celebration crap and clean up SB halftime.
3. Whatever the market will bear. Ray Lewis was acquitted (or not tried at all), so if the public accepts him, so be it.
4. :z:
5. The PGA gives more in charity in one week than the NFL does to the UW in the whole season.