PDA

View Full Version : McGahee vs. Gore

mypoorfriendme
06-14-2004, 11:41 AM
i know the relevance of this thread relates from well over a year ago, but it being mid june, there isnt much else to talk about.

mcgahee wasnt the hurricane's starter in spring ball pre-2002. instead, it was frank gore. mcgahee didnt even see serious playing time until gore went down with a knee injury in the beginning of the season. furthermore, mcgahee chose to enter the draft after only his redshirt sophomore year despite his own serious knee injury instead of going back to school and having to compete with gore for the rest of the time he was in school.

my point is this; miami thinks gore is a better player and mcgahee was supposedly supposed to be a top 5 lock before his devestating injury. now what would this make gore??? un-human? or is mcgahee the equivalent to a kevin jones, and only stood out because of his week draft class??

(but dont get me wrong, i am a major mcgahee fan and still love the pick, i just think i might be getting my hopes up with him having a ton of potential to be a franchise game-breaking running back)

:feedback:

Jeff1220
06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
In college, there is no doubt that McGahee was the real deal. As with any player new to the NFL, we have to wait and see how he stacks up against the pros.

The Spaz
06-14-2004, 11:52 AM
It doesn't matter to me where he was on the depth chart he stepped up when Gore went down and was the best RB that year now we just have to see if he returns to that form.

Dozerdog
06-14-2004, 11:57 AM
It could just mean that Gore had some seniority and that they wanted to give McGahee some practice time. It's possible that at the beginning of the 2002 season WM hadn't mastered their offense.

But like Tom Brady- injury thrusts individuals to the forefront and some excell and exceed all expectation.

A healthy WM would have been a top 5 pick in this draft as well- draft class had nothing to do with his rank.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-14-2004, 12:05 PM
It kind of reminds me of Thurman Thomas's backup in college.

Canadian'eh!
06-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Agreed.

College is different fromt he pros in a lot of ways, but the most important thing to remember is that you only get 4 years to do what you can. Miami had Portis, who hated every other RB and degraded them by saying they will never be as good as him. He was good so he played (WM was a FB at first then blew out his knee). Once he went off to the NFL and WM came back it was more a deal of Gore being healthy and also having "seniority" over Willis. Miami "owed" him a chance to show what he could do if he wants to have a career. He was good so he got the job. But he blew out his knee so finally WM gets his shot and Breaks all the Miami records held by edge and portis.

I find in college, when you have several good players at one position they tend to let the guy who has less time to show the NFL his worth play. They only make the change if he screws up. As long as they are winning it's all good. the thought being that the other guy will get his time to shine eventually.

eyedog
06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
I believe Gore is a year younger than McGahee. If anybody had "seniority" it was WM.

B-DON
06-14-2004, 01:02 PM
mcgahee will be just as good as portis, you can quote me on that

ryjam282
06-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
I believe Gore is a year younger than McGahee. If anybody had "seniority" it was WM.

Gore was a Freshman in 2001. McGahee was a freshman in 2000. McGahee sat out the whole season as a redshirt. Gore played in 2001, as a freshman and then the next spring he hurt his knee the first time and sat out all of 2002.

Mcgahee and Gore played behind Portis in 2001 as freshman (mcGahee redshirt) and then in 2002 McGahee exploded. The main reason Gore was ahead of him on the depth chart was because of the season he had as the #2 to Portis in 2001. He averaged over 9 yards a carry and really excelled in the time he played. McGahee didn't average that much, he had 4.7 per carry. They both had an even amount of carries in there freshman years and that is why I believe Gore was the "projected" starter going into 2002. But, the knee injury happened and we will never know what may have been.

McGahee also suffered a "minor" knee injury that year and missed a few games but played well as FB in the Rose Bowl replacing Najeh Davenport, so that could have been another reason.

TigerJ
06-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the research, ryjam. That helps to understand the situation. There could be a number of reasons for the difference in yards per carry during that season they backed up Portis. I wouldn't want to project an antire NFL career based on what McGahee did as a backup during one college football season.

Goobylal
06-14-2004, 01:46 PM
McGahee didn't dedicate himself fully until after his freshman year, but Gore was already ahead of him at that point. As for Gore, too injury-prone (without taking any helmets to his knee), and all those injuries are sure to have robbed him of some ability. He still has a lot to prove.

ryjam282
06-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Gore is still a great RB and I hope he succeeds. I just find it very hard to see a team investing in guy with 2 surgically repaired knees. Who knows, he could come out this year and just DOMINATE. I hope he does, being a Canes fan, we will need him. It didn't help Gore that Brock Berlin was the QB for the Canes last year. The opposing D's didn't have to worry about Berlin beating them cause we all knew that wasn't going to happen. So, they just stuffed the box and shut down the run. The was the main reason the Canes didn't win it all again last year, there D was plenty good enough to take them to the top...

lordofgun
06-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Anyone named Gore has no chance.

ryjam282
06-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Anyone named Gore has no chance.

That is not true...I believe Al won the popular vote a few years ago...Remeber???

TedMock
06-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Gore was injured last season, too. That poor guy can't catch a break. He's obviously a phenominal talent to continuously be named the starter there, but he beat the injuries.

lordofgun
06-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
That is not true...I believe Al won the popular vote a few years ago...Remeber???

:nerd:

eyedog
06-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
Gore is still a great RB and I hope he succeeds. I just find it very hard to see a team investing in guy with 2 surgically repaired knees. Who knows, he could come out this year and just DOMINATE. I hope he does, being a Canes fan, we will need him. It didn't help Gore that Brock Berlin was the QB for the Canes last year. The opposing D's didn't have to worry about Berlin beating them cause we all knew that wasn't going to happen. So, they just stuffed the box and shut down the run. The was the main reason the Canes didn't win it all again last year, there D was plenty good enough to take them to the top...

The Canes don't have any worries at running back. Moss, who is a soph. this year is the starter as of now. He had a good fresh. year and is going to be another star. They also have a couple of very good freshman running backs coming in this year.
As for Berlin, he better produce because K. Wright is coming up on him. The machine just keeps on churning out players. I'm also a 'Cane fan.
Can you tell me if they have a starting time for the Dec 4th Virg. Tech game yet ?

ryjam282
06-14-2004, 07:38 PM
I have not seen one yet, but hopefully it will be soon. I love it when they rip the Hokies apart. I hate them so damn much. Too bad the Gators didn't like the extra L on there schedule so they didn't renew the contract...Babies.

Tatonka
06-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
It kind of reminds me of Thurman Thomas's backup in college.

excellent post, ghost.

what was that guys name? barry something right?

B-DON
06-14-2004, 10:53 PM
damn canes fans, i cant wait for fsu to rip them apart opening day........moss who? washington and booker.. watch out for these two rbs they both will be special......if you remember 2years ago booker wasthe number 1 high school player in the nation with a blazin mid 4.2 forty time.........watch out berlin GO SEMINOLES **** miami

mypoorfriendme
06-15-2004, 12:15 AM
lorenzo booker is LEGIT, in high school (st. boneventure CA) he average what, like 19 ypc. hes my sleeper pick for heisman

Kramer
06-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Go Noles!!! B-DON. You are a Noles fan? As a fellow fan I pronounce you a righteous and good man. :cheers:

ryjam282
06-15-2004, 07:07 AM
Noles? Come on, when was the last time they beat us (the canes)? It has been awhile. But, I can at least respect them cause even though we continued to beat them they continued to play us. Unlike Notre Dame and the Gators. All scared cause they didn't want that loss on there record. At least FSU bent over and took it like a man....Hey FSU fans, did Bowden finally get you guys a kicker? :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

I mean, come on that many times with a failed kick has got to be killing you guys by now. Thank god Norwood only missed it once cause that still haunts me. I couldn't imagine missing it that many years....Pure DEATH.

eyedog
06-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Tyrone Moss, the next McGahee at Miami.

ryjam282
06-15-2004, 10:01 AM
I agree, the kid looks great. He will dominate that putrid FSU defense next year and I can't wait for the UM d to get ahold of sorry ass Rix again...RATTLE HIS CAGE.

mypoorfriendme
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Given this is only high school, but Booker was the number 1 recruit in the nation back in 2002. Moss was 44 in 03.

Bio Notes: Booker has widely been considered one of the top prospects in the country. Named to the Riddell Footwear All-American Team. During his junior season he totaled 3,103 rushing yards and 49 touchdowns on 212 carries.

Height: 5-foot-11
Weight: 178 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.43 seconds
Bench max: 335 pounds
Bench reps: 26
Squat max: 415 pounds
Vertical leap: 34 inches
GPA: 2.8

Bio Notes: Moss had more than 2,000 yards rushing during is junior campaign with a 10.9 yards per carry average. He was the state sophomore of the year in 2001, too.

Height: 5-foot-10
Weight: 210 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.45 seconds
Bench reps: 10
Vertical leap: 30 inches
GPA: 2.7

calhisports.com

mypoorfriendme
06-15-2004, 10:18 AM
i forgot to mention....FSU got the number 1 recruit in the nation last year too in Ernie Sims :)

ryjam282
06-15-2004, 12:23 PM
who cares who they have. Miami owns them. Always have, always will. We have the better athletes hands down. GO CANES

B-DON
06-15-2004, 12:27 PM
ernie sims is the next ray lewis only for a better college team.lol and btw when we actually had a kicker he went in the first round remember? you probably remember him beating down miami

ryjam282
06-15-2004, 12:32 PM
what about that LB the canes signed...The one that is in all that trouble. He will be dominating. They say he can start as a freshman and be very good. I hope he gets his legal stuff out of the way cause we could use another good LB seeing as how we have had 20 first round picks in the last 3 years...Including 2 of our LB's this year....It is hard being so dang good.

B-DON
06-15-2004, 12:35 PM
to bad all of butch davis's recruits are gone now. smells like trouble in miami with that stud berlin at qb.lol

B-DON
06-15-2004, 12:36 PM
btw after rix blows ass you will get to see the next vick in xavier lee, an incoming freshman this fall

DraftBoy
06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
That Lee kid is badass. Hes got a worse arm than Vick though. but better touch.

tonawandabacker
06-15-2004, 04:52 PM
it doesnt matter how you play in college its the pros that count