PDA

View Full Version : Bills vs Lions: postgame review

Ingtar33
10-27-2002, 09:59 PM
What a difference three games can make. It is hard to imagine that at one point this team was holding a 2-3 record and sported one of the leagues worst defenses. Then in week six, after a half of watching the Texans push our D all over the field, something happened. The Bills defense started to improve. They started to stop giving up big plays, they started to get more consistent pressure on the QB, the LB started to take their jobs seriously, Watson recalled that his job was to cover, and Big Pat Williams decided it was time to stop morning the loss of Ted Washington, and play like the DT we know he is, and finally the D started to play with Pride.

Now the season has reached the halfway point, and my original prediction of a 7-9 Bills season is looking more and more incorrect as the Bills have now pushed their record to a respectable 5-3. Strange what a little pride can do, the Bills are now on a three game winning streak, and looking more and more like a playoff contender. Sure the Lions scored some points. Sure the Bills (and luck) kept the Lions close with multiple gaffs and strange bounces. But what truly maters in the end is that the Bills now are just 1/2 a game back of the Dolphins, and are currently in possession of one of the two AFC wildcard spots.

The Positives:
1) The Bills D finally looks like it has turned the corner, and might be turning into a middle of the pack unit. One of the big reasons for this is Fletcher is finally beginning to look comfortable in the MLB spot. Fletcher lead the Bills with 10 tackles, was all over the field, and made a crucial 4th and 1 stop at the Bills 20 with 2min remaining (after T.Henry's fumble). Honorable mention to Eddie Robinson who seemed to wake up for the first time in Miami, he recorded 8 tackles, and played well in the passing game keeping Ricks from having a big day.
2) Watson looked like a pro today as Joey Harrington (staying away from Clements) threw at him several times, with no completions (unless you count a strange TD pass which went off Watson, Prioleau and to a different Detroit receiver, Hakim for a TD) and even fielding an INT at the end of the first half. He also made a Tasker-esque play to pin the Lions deep in the first half... keeping the ball out of the endzone on a Moorman punt.
3) Bledsoe throws up another gem, passing the 300yard mark for the 4th time this year. He also posted a 94.9 QBR, and found both Price and Moulds deep. Drew (who's still threatening Dan Marino's yard/season mark) now has thrown for 2,500 yards 16TD and just 5 INTs in 8 weeks. What is really fun about Bledsoe's year is how often he's gone deep... and how accurate he's been.
4) Moulds lit up the Lions secondary today despite some early drops. He caught 9 passes for another 120+ yards. Price also had a big game, catching a critical 59yard TD pass from Drew at the end of the 1st half.
5) The coaching staff deserves credit for keeping this team focused with this game hiding between a big Miami win and the upcoming "Bledsoe Bowl." Kevin Gilbride continues to keep the O rolling, and despite some miscues, Danny Smith has the special teams playing much better. Jerry Grey also deserves credit for (much as he did last year) turning the D around. Now, if only our D had played like this all season?
6) The Bills played relatively penalty free ball all game. They were only penalized 6 times, and only gave the Detroit O one first down with a penalty. I know this may not seem like much, but considering the number of flags the Bills usually get this was a noteworthy game.

The Negatives:
1) The Bills still haven't developed a killer spirit, as they've found a way (either through screw-ups or strange luck) to keep their opponents in the game. That might work against a team like Detroit, or Houston, or even the Fiedler-less Dolphins, but that sort of play will only cost them later in the year.
2) Henry fumbled again. Now I know, I should probably give him a pass (because in all likelihood the Detroit player who caused the fumble did it with an illegal and suspension worthy hit) but that fumble nearly gave the game away. Had Henry been a back with a rep for not dropping the ball I'd definitely given him a pass. Needless to say Henry isn't one of those and this time, the fumble erased what was in my mind a solid 70yard 2 TD performance.
3) Rodgers made one of the biggest mental errors you can make in all of pro football. He let a kickoff bounce. You never let a kickoff hit the turf in the middle of the field. Because of his poor play, the lions recovered the ball at the Bills 20, and scored the go-ahead score seconds later to make the game 14-7. Luckily the Bills won, or else I'd be tarring Rodgers a goat for that inexcusable play.

Conclusion
Now that the Bills have won 3 straight games, everyone’s expectations are beginning to rise. With the Bills now 1/2 a game back of the Miami Dolphins next week's game against the NE Patriots takes on even more significance. Furthermore, the Bills are learning to win dirty, because it seemed like none of the bounces went buffalo's way today and yet we still won. Here’s hoping next week will be another positive step toward regaining dominance over the division we once owned.

venis2k1
10-27-2002, 10:01 PM
:afro: WORD :afro:

p.s. Give henry a break, he is lucky to still have his head after that hit, he had 2 hands on the ball and it was right next to his chest, he couldn't have done anything else to secure that ball.

venis2k1
10-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Drew (who's still threatening Dan Marino's yard/season mark) now has thrown for 2,500 yards 16TD and just 5 INTs in 8 weeks.

the record stands at 5,084 yds. Now im no math wiz, but if drew has passed for 2,500 yards after 8 games, and we only play 16 games, that puts drew on pace for 5,000 yards. 84 yards short.

venis2k1
10-27-2002, 10:07 PM
ohhhhhhh forget it im the jerk, you said threatening and not on pace.

venis :spank: Ingtar

Ingtar33
10-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
:afro: WORD :afro:
p.s. Give Henry a break, he is lucky to still have his head after that hit, he had 2 hands on the ball and it was right next to his chest, he couldn't have done anything else to secure that ball.

I know, I know
I almost didn't include that as a negative due to the fact that there probably should have been a 15y penalty called against the Detroit defender (erasing the fumble). However the penalty was not called, and had Detroit scored and maybe (god forbid) won, I doubt it would have been of any solace to any of us had the league suspended or fined that player later in the week. Just too many fumbles to give him a pass for ANY reason.

DIHARD2
10-27-2002, 11:08 PM
Ingtar33, again well-written and I have to agree with you. T H's fumble from what I've heard would probably have been fumble by just about any other back in the league.

The defense has stepped up to play and the fact that the rookie penalties, hopefully, have subsided to almost a complete dribble for the rest of the season.

Again thanks for your writing, it gives someone who cannot see the game a better perspective of what went on and what was done on the field. Thank you

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

BADTHINGSMAN
10-28-2002, 12:23 AM
:up:

Dihard2

Thanks for putting the link up for this site. I was looking for a great place to talk to other dihard Bills fans. And this place is deffinitly it.

Thanks again Dihard2

lordofgun
10-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Welcome silent one!

Don't forget to check out our main page at www.billszone.com

Cntrygal
10-28-2002, 06:37 AM
Great Job Ingtar! :up:

Welcome silent_one! :)