PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Steeler Gildon may fit Bills

The_Philster
06-16-2004, 04:46 AM
By Leo Roth
Former Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro Jason Gildon spent part of his free agent visit with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday talking with Takeo Spikes and London Fletcher, two fellow members of the NFL’s elite linebacker club.
”It was nice to sit down with those guys and discuss football,” Gildon said. “They’re optimistic about the upcoming season. They definitely feel they’ll be better offensively and defensively ... they feel they’re basically one player away. It was comforting to hear those comments and hopefully, maybe this will be the stop.”...more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/06166U4JVLN_sports.shtml)

ryjam282
06-16-2004, 06:54 AM
I tell ya, it would sure be nice to get another solid player on this team. I am sure he would be able to make some kind of impact on this team whether it be DE or LB help.

Tatonka
06-16-2004, 08:31 AM
"veteran leadership"

:snicker:

elltrain22
06-16-2004, 09:28 AM
I hope we sign him

Samphin1
06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Funny, had he been in tlaks with Miami, it would be that we were "adding another old player" to a supposedly aging defense. But when you guys tlak about him coming to your team, suddenl, the man who will turn 32 next month is a good pickup. Along with him and Troy Vincent, I would have to say you guys are starting to add plenty of "veteren leadership" or plain old guys.

Voltron
06-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Pat Kirwan was on NFL Total access last night and said that the Bills would be by far the best fit for him and may even push us into playoff contention. He also said the Bills were talking to him about changing position to DE (I am guessing for 3rd down situations).

Samphin1,

I for one do not want him. I think we could use this cap space for better things but a 1 or 2 year contract at a little more then vet min with a mill or under for a bonus would not upset me. We have a much younger D than you do (that is just a fact bud) so I think we could fit him in better here than they could in Miami. We have a much much younger (and better :snicker: ) LB core than you guys do so he could switch in and out with ease and be a lot more fresh because of the LB talent we have. The one tyhing that impresses me every year with the fish is your D line. that is the one spot where your D out shines us. It is also the reason why the "old men" in your secondary get so many picks and we get so little.

justasportsfan
06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Samphin1
Funny, had he been in tlaks with Miami, it would be that we were "adding another old player" to a supposedly aging defense. But when you guys tlak about him coming to your team, suddenl, the man who will turn 32 next month is a good pickup. Along with him and Troy Vincent, I would have to say you guys are starting to add plenty of "veteren leadership" or plain old guys.

We would have said that considering he could possibly be taking the place of OGun who had 15 sacks had the fins signed Gildon as a DE. 6 sacks however is better than what we had on Deney's side of the DL which is why we would say it would be a decent pick-up just in case Kelsay or Ryan do not step up. Comprende?

Samphin1
06-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Voltron
Pat Kirwan was on NFL Total access last night and said that the Bills would be by far the best fit for him and may even push us into playoff contention. He also said the Bills were talking to him about changing position to DE (I am guessing for 3rd down situations).

Samphin1,

I for one do not want him. I think we could use this cap space for better things but a 1 or 2 year contract at a little more then vet min with a mill or under for a bonus would not upset me. We have a much younger D than you do (that is just a fact bud) so I think we could fit him in better here than they could in Miami. We have a much much younger (and better :snicker: ) LB core than you guys do so he could switch in and out with ease and be a lot more fresh because of the LB talent we have. The one tyhing that impresses me every year with the fish is your D line. that is the one spot where your D out shines us. It is also the reason why the "old men" in your secondary get so many picks and we get so little.

Our " old men" in the secondary?

Starters:

Sam Madison, 30
Patrick Surtian, 28
Sammy Knight, 28
Arturo Freeman, 27

Reserves:
Reggie Howard, 27
Will Poole, 22
Antuan Edwards, 27
Shawn Wooden, 30
Yeremiah Bell, mid to late 20's ( don't have exact age sorry)

So, in our entire seocnday, we have two guys in their 30's, one starter and one third string safety... and both are exactly 30. I don't know about you, but I don't consider that old.

Defensive line:

Starters:
Tim Bowens, 31
Larry Chester, 28
Jason Taylor, 29
Adewale Ogunleye, 26

Reserves:
Jeff Zgonina, 34
David Bowens, 26
Jay Williams, 32
Dario Romero, 26
Otis Grigsby, 23

One starter in his 30's and two out of five reserves. Zgonina is the only one I would qaulify as "aging" as Jay Williams and Tim Bowens are relatively young ( although granted that Bowens has been around a long time and beat up a long time, probably feels closer to 40 than 30). Again, hardly an "old" squad. I know you didn't say they were but I am proving a point

Linebackers:

Starters:
Junior Seau, 35
Zach Thomas, 30
Morlon Greenwood, 25

Reserves:
Eddie Moore, 23
Corey Jenkins, 27
Tony Bua, 24
Brendon Ayanbadejo, 27

The reserves are all young guys, somewhat inexperienced. Seau is old but Thomas is relatively young and Greenwood is flat out young. This is the only starting unit on defense that has an average age of 30, and it it right at 30.

The average age of the projected starters is 28.8. Downright ancient right? :lol:

The average age of the entire projected defense is 27.7 years of age. This excludes Yeremiah Bell's age due to not having the info.

So an average age of 27 years old? Pretty gosh darned old. :bf1:

Now the Bills average age for total defensive squad? Also 27.7 years of age. ( Note I took this off of the ESPN roster so some players I recognize probably won't be there on the final roster which should affect the total age average, but most likely making it go up, unless veterans are released. )

As for starters average age... That is hard for me to do, seeing how I don't know exactly who the starters are. I will give it a shot but feel free to change anyone I may have screwed up on.

D-line Starters:
Ryan Denney, 27
Aaron Schoebel, 26
Pat Williams, 31
Sam Adams, 31

LB starters:
Takeo Spikes, 27
London Fletcher, 29
Jeff Posey, 28

DB Starters:
Troy Vincent, 33
Nate Clements, 24
Lawyer Milloy, 30
Coy Wire, 25 (possibly Reese? Prioleau? Wire is the youngest of the 3, give you the benefit of the doubt)

If this is correct, the projected starters average age is 28.2. Only .6 of a year younger than Miami's. Hardly a huge discrepancy if you ask me. If Reese is the starter, than the average goes up to 28.7 and if it is Prioleau, it is at 28.3.

I hope this dispells some myths about how "old" Miami's defense is and how close the two clubs actually are in age on defense. Also, if you have read all of this, I commend you. :bf1:

casdhf
06-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Wow....an intelligent post!