PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo #3 Most Tortured Sports City

saviorbledsoe
06-16-2004, 06:35 AM
There's no way to sugarcoat it: Buffalonians are used to torture.

Buffalo gets hammered with snow. And I'm not talking about any ordinary snow. No, I'm talking about "lake effect" snow -- when masses of cold air siphon moisture from Lake Erie and dump ungodly bands of fluffy white stuff across Western New York.

Twenty years ago, after yet another blizzard pounded my hometown, Buffalo's mayor, Jimmy Griffin, went on TV to offer sage advice to thousands of residents trapped in their homes.

"Wait it out with a six-pack of beer and a football game."

That pretty much sums up Buffalonians. We love two things: beer and our football team. And nothing has driven so many of us to tip back too many Molsons more than the Buffalo Bills.

more............. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bona/tortured_buffalo

Jeff1220
06-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Not even a mention of the Sabres or "in the crease." How Buffalo isn't #1 on this list is beyond me. I have no idea who #2 or #1 will be.

Jeff1220
06-16-2004, 07:25 AM
Cleveland?
Salt Lake City (the Jazz)?
New Orleans?
San Diego?
Philly?
My guess is two of these 5 will be there.

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Philly will be #1.

East coast bias. :shakeno:

Pride
06-16-2004, 07:55 AM
No sabres, in the crease.
Home Run Throwback
Losing a basketball team
the list goes on and on and on.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-16-2004, 07:57 AM
New Olreans - Only city with more than one of major sports teams never to go to a championship game/series.

Philadelphia - Phillies, Flyers, 76ers, those team names alone are torture.

Cleveland - years of ineptitude from the Indians and Cavs. The drive. Lost an NFL team.

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 08:19 AM
#1 will be Cleveland...I thought Buffalo would end up #2

...Philly or NO??? Can it be torture (NO) if your teams never amount to anything??

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Philly and Cleveland-

Cleveland because of the Browns leaving, Indians falling short with a talented roster, lost NHL team

Philly- they lose 3 conference championships in a row, lose an NBA finals, lose a few Stanley cup finals, lose in World Series

elltrain22
06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
I knew we would be number 3.

Cleveland has gotta be #1, with maybe Phily at 2.

AndreReed83
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
How is Philly worse off then Buffalo? Oh no, they lost 3 straight conference championships in a row!? Hello! We lost 4 freakin Super Bowls in a row. Just once it would be nice to see ESPN do something without big-name city bias.

chubluv
06-17-2004, 08:54 AM
This is total bull**** how can a city be more tortured then Buffalo. When they rtelease the names of the next two there better be some damn good explanations as to why they are tortured.

Novacane
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
philly has also won a WS and NBA championships. We have'nt won any championships! BS if Philly is ahead of us

chernobylwraiths
06-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
New Olreans - Only city with more than one of major sports teams never to go to a championship game/series.

I can only think of one. I know they lost the Jazz year and years and years ago.

Philadelphia - Phillies, Flyers, 76ers, those team names alone are torture.

While they may not be great, all of those teams have won championships within my lifetime. And I'm not EE.

Cleveland - years of ineptitude from the Indians and Cavs. The drive. Lost an NFL team.

I always felt that Cleveland would be number 1. Losing a football team is a lot worse than losing a basketball team. They also lost a hockey team (Cleveland Barons). Buffalo's losses seemed more high profile and the way they lost them (wide right, no goal, forward lateral) are famous.

chernobylwraiths
06-18-2004, 05:48 AM
The poll was completely flawed and a joke the minute they had Boston at number 5.

BigZ
06-18-2004, 06:53 AM
I would have bet we were #1.

ajsdx
06-18-2004, 12:35 PM
The crease wasn´t that torturous. Even if they had disallowed it, guess what? We still would have lost. It was only a matter of time and everyone knew it. Buffalo should be #2 behind Cleveland. I still feel sorry for Craig Ehlo.