PDA

View Full Version : Most Tortured City - Worst 10 moments

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2004, 08:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=tortured/buffalo

Worst ten moments in Buffalo sports history

10. Super Bowl XXVI
9. Sabres / Penguins - Dom letting in a softie in Game 7 in OT. Sabres last playoff appearance.
8. SB XXVII
7. Forward Lateral
6. SB XXVIII
5. OJ Trial
4. Braves leave
3. Lose expansion baseball bid in 91
2. No Goal
1. Wide Right

The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head is the Ronnie Harmon fumble in the AFC Championship game in 88 or 89(?), and the Joe Ferguson interception against the Chargers in the playoffs in 81 or so.

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Ronnie short armed an easy catch in the endzone...it wasn't a fumble...

Bernie Parent 1975...other than that I can't think of any more...

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 08:37 AM
OJ Trial? They are kidding, right?

My top 25-

25-Clint Malarchuck
24-Walt Patulski drafted #1 overall by Bills
23- Morris Titanic drafted #1 by Sabres
22- USFL takes Kelly, Cribbs,
21-Knox quits because Wilson is cheap
20- Pat LaFontaine's Concussions
19- Harvey Johnson- Twice
18-Tom Cousineau
17- Gregg Williams and Kevin Gillbride waste talented roster
16-Rob Johnson trade and ensuing controversy
15- Cookie Gilchrist quits vs Pats in 1964, gets cut, brought back- then traded after season
14- Rick Martin retires early due to injury
13. Sabres / Penguins - Mario Lemieux's lucky bounce game 6 with 1 minute left in game
12-Rigas Bankrupts Sabres, WNSA, Empire
11. Daryle Lamonica Traded
10. Tim Horton splatters himself on QEW
9. Lou Saban Quits Twice
8. Super Bowl XXVI
7. SB XXVII
6. Forward Lateral
5. SB XXVIII Thurman's Fumble at the start of 2nd half
4. John Y Brown ruins Braves, trades McAdoo, Adian Dantley, Moses Malone (Yes- we had him for a month) kills roster, sells out
3. No Goal
2- 0-20 vs Dolphin scum- the lowest coming when Tom Dempsey Misses by half a foot (1979)
1. Wide Right

Patrick76777
06-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Misses by half a foot

NICE!

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

18-Tom Cousineau
17- Clint Malarchuck
16- Gregg Williams and Kevin Gillbride waste talented roster
15-Rob Johnson trade and ensuing controversy
13- Rick Martin retires early due to injury
10. Tim Horton splatters himself on QEW
9. Lou Saban Quits Twice

I agree all of those hurt but I can't agree with the ones listed above were torture that put us above other cities...

Cousineau was a bad pick...all teams have bad picks...he never amounted to anything but more picks after he returned from the CFL...

Malarchuck?? Why, cause he got cut...not exactly torture for the fans...

Williams and Gilbride?? All teams have incompetent coaches at some point...Hank Bullough was worse than those two combined...

RJ and DF?? There is controversy like that every now and then in all sports in all cities...

Rick Martin?? He was traded for picks to LA before retiring...players get injured all the time...

Tim Horton?? He wasn't a Sabre that long...the next year the Sabres went to the Finals...

Lou Saban?? He quit everywhere...

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Misses by half a foot

NICE!

How could I forget that game? I was there. Rained like hell for the whole second half. We were sitting in the endzone where he was kicking the ball. :mad:

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
How could I forget that game? I was there. Rained like hell for the whole second half. We were sitting in the endzone where he was kicking the ball. :mad:

we were in the other endzone...the only good thing is that we were in that same endzone...row 1...when the Bills finally beat them...

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Ð Jr
I agree all of those hurt but I can't agree with the ones listed above were torture that put us above other cities...

Cousineau was a bad pick...all teams have bad picks...he never amounted to anything but more picks after he returned from the CFL...

Malarchuck?? Why, cause he got cut...not exactly torture for the fans...

Williams and Gilbride?? All teams have incompetent coaches at some point...Hank Bullough was worse than those two combined...

RJ and DF?? There is controversy like that every now and then in all sports in all cities...

Rick Martin?? He was traded for picks to LA before retiring...players get injured all the time...

Tim Horton?? He wasn't a Sabre that long...the next year the Sabres went to the Finals...

Lou Saban?? He quit everywhere...

The list is TOP WORST MOMENTS IN Buffalo HISTORY-

Who gives a crap about torture?

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Who gives a crap about torture?

Because the topic of the thread is "Most Tortured City" :idunno:

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Because the topic of the thread is "Most Tortured City" :idunno:

Thanks for the Phil moment- The title of the list was "worst moments"

carybillsfan
06-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Another moment I remember - Sabres vs. Flyers (1998, I think) Leclair shoots the puck ripping throught the outside of the net and counting

Ebenezer
06-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by carybillsfan
Another moment I remember - Sabres vs. Flyers (1998, I think) Leclair shoots the puck ripping throught the outside of the net and counting

no, it was the year following No Goal

Earthquake Enyart
06-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Rutkowski's goal line fumble. :mad:

Bill Brasky
06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
This tortured cities list is the biggest joke ever.

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Rutkowski's goal line fumble. :mad:

Bad moment? that was the difference between 1-12-1 and 2-11-1- at 2-11-1 we don't get OJ-

clumping platelets
06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
How about the "Just let'em have it" game vs NE :mad:

Michael82
06-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
How about the "Just let'em have it" game vs NE :mad:

You mean "just give it to em" :mad:

Mr. Cynical
06-16-2004, 06:42 PM

Whatever year this was, it was still TOTAL BULL*****. The reason they didn't review it? They didn't have the right feed into the review booth or something like that. It definitely should have been on the list.

No way we aren't #1. Who has had it worse?

Name one small city which has lost more major league championships....arguably the worst feeling, especially when robbed by bad calls. Small city being key as well since sports make up such a large percentage of the community (as opposed to cities like NY, LA or Chicago).

We're definitely #1. (although that's not exactly something to be proud of) :(

The_Philster
06-16-2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Ebenezer
no, it was the year following No Goal

Yeah...it was 2000. :mad: I remember that one, too.

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Whatever year this was, it was still TOTAL BULL*****. The reason they didn't review it? They didn't have the right feed into the review booth or something like that. It definitely should have been on the list.

No way we aren't #1. Who has had it worse?

Name one small city which has lost more major league championships....arguably the worst feeling, especially when robbed by bad calls. Small city being key as well since sports make up such a large percentage of the community (as opposed to cities like NY, LA or Chicago).

We're definitely #1. (although that's not exactly something to be proud of) :(

My only argument against it was we still got clobbered in that series. That goal had pretty much no bearing on the outcome- it just made the NHL looks stupid (again)

Mr. Cynical
06-16-2004, 07:37 PM
My only argument against it was we still got clobbered in that series. That goal had pretty much no bearing on the outcome- it just made the NHL looks stupid (again)

I kinda disagree. It really took the air out of the tires, since this came after the bad call the year before. Kinda like "we can't win no matter what, etc." And it put them up 2-0, which is alot harder to win than 1-1.

BuffaloRanger
06-16-2004, 08:07 PM
OK so ESPN is going to kiss Cleveland and Philly fans asses now.

Both those cities have won titles. Buffalo is the only major city with 2 or more teams, to have never won a championship (AFL doesn't count). 0 for 6.

The list is a complete joke anyway. It should include all the teams of the each city. Boston is tortured because of the Red Sox?? What about the Pats and Celtics winning all those titles?

Chicago had the Bulls and Jordan. They won titles.

Minn has won world series. So they lost 4 sbs too. At least they won something. And they got there hockey team back.

Cleveland lost the browns, but they to got a team back. So did houston, baltimore, and st louis. Losing a team then getting one back shouldn't make you tortured.

And Philly will be tortured because they haven't won a title since 1983. They have a MLB and NBA championship. They beat the sabres in a stanley cup. They lost 3 NFC championship games in a row, oh the horror.

The list is a joke. Give Buffalo it's due. No city is as tortured.

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
I kinda disagree. It really took the air out of the tires, since this came after the bad call the year before. Kinda like "we can't win no matter what, etc." And it put them up 2-0, which is alot harder to win than 1-1.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/20000414/recap/bufphi.html

The goal Video (http://espn.go.com/media/nhl/2000/0414/video/0414fly1v.avi)

Dozerdog
06-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger

The list is a joke. Give Buffalo it's due. No city is as tortured.

It's all part of the torture- we can't even get the satisfaction of being #1 in that category either.....runner up again

juice
06-16-2004, 08:35 PM

5. OJ Trial

I wonder if OJ would have been found guilty, if the Trial would have been one of the Best top 10 moments in Bills History?

Probably not since the Trial had nothing to do with his career and being the first Bill inducted into the HOF.

BillyT92679
06-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Being the basketball fan that I am, not having an NBA franchise really stinks. I think the Clippers have always been cursed since they left Buffalo.

Mr. Cynical
06-16-2004, 09:43 PM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/2000/20000414/recap/bufphi.html

The goal Video (http://espn.go.com/media/nhl/2000/0414/video/0414fly1v.avi)

Good link. :up:

And this quote shows why I think it was one of the primary reasons that non-goal effected the series:

"... the Flyers' record when they win the first two games of a playoff series -- 17-0."

And this one takes the cake:

"The series supervisor then reviewed the overhead angle again and it became apparent, when supported by the net camera angle, that the puck had entered the net on the outside of the post. NHL video replay procedures do not allow for a decision to be reversed after the ruling has been made and, as such, the goal was allowed to stand."

Let's see....

1. Crease rule was changed AFTER Hull's skate
2. Video replay rule changed AFTER non-goal?

How many more of these can one city take. :mad:

mightyspaz
06-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Hey I was wondering why nobody mentioned Hulls shot in the finals? .... Unless your refering to that as "no goal" ... Personally between Hulls Goal, the Music City Miracle, and Wide Right I think that's enought to beat out any city. Although I'm sure that chicago and the cubs could compete a little.

The_Philster
06-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by mightyspaz
Hey I was wondering why nobody mentioned Hulls shot in the finals? .... Unless your refering to that as "no goal"

That's what most of us refer to as No Goal. In fact, at the Home opener the following year, when they raised the Eastern Conference Championship Banner, some people across the Arena from me raised another banner...that said "No Goal"