PDA

View Full Version : Turning the corner is elementary for Watson

LouGrant
10-28-2002, 08:32 AM
COMMENTARY
Turning the corner is elementary for Watson
By BUCKY GLEASON

10/28/2002

Chris Watson swears he paid little attention when everybody was on his back the first few weeks of the season, but there was no arguing he was a target. Opposing quarterbacks would get under center, examine the Bills' secondary, ask themselves, "Where's Chris Watson?" and hit the receiver he wasn't covering.
Quarterbacks were picking on him every Sunday, and fans took over from Monday through Saturday. The refs couldn't resist, either, which is why he was flagged seemingly every other play. Talk about nerve, Chicago quarterback Jim Miller, after a game the Bears lost to the Bills, made a few wisecracks about the nickel back.

"Critics are going to be critics," Watson said. "They're on the bandwagon when you're doing good, and they jump off when you're not doing so good. They can't dictate how I play week to week. That's what's in my control. I never let criticism discourage me. I used it to help me get better."

Heck, if Watson's vehicle for improvement is abuse, by all means rip him royally. He's become a symbol for a defensive unit that overcame a disastrous start but emerged from the rubble better for the experience. He might have been its best player Sunday in the Bills' 24-17 victory over the Detroit Lions, and fans leaving The Ralph couldn't help but think this defense - believe it or not - just might be coming of age.

The Bills reached the halfway point with a 5-3 record mostly because their offense has been virtually unstoppable, but there's no mistaking the impact their defense has made during this three-game winning streak. The "D" has been terrific for 10 straight quarters, since coming off the ventilator in the second half against Houston. It is gaining momentum, becoming more confident and taking pressure off of Drew Bledsoe.
...MORE... (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021028/3029501.asp)

ublinkwescore
10-28-2002, 09:04 AM
Yet another great article.