PDA

View Full Version : Rank 'Em: Who is the best coach in the NFL?

justasportsfan
06-18-2004, 09:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/listranker?id=106

SportsNation
Put "NFL coach" on the short list of the toughest jobs in sports. Watching reels and reels of film, conducting two-a-day practices, putting together thick playbooks -- and that's just the preparation it takes to get a team of 53 men ready for a long season of battle.

We want to know which NFL coaches you believe have handled all these tasks and risen to the top of the game.

mypoorfriendme
06-18-2004, 10:25 AM
i cant imagine an arguement saying its not either parcells or billichik

BillsFanInMass
06-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Parcells has got to be the best coach Belecheck was his understudy . And parcells is also the most funniest when he talks to the media.

buffmaniac
06-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Just as important as the head coach is the staff that he surrounds himself with. That is why I think Mularkey got off to a great start by keeping most of the quality defensive coaches we had around and by bringing in very experienced well-respected coaches on offense.

mypoorfriendme
06-18-2004, 12:06 PM
most funniest :scratch:

Bling_1
06-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by buffmaniac
Just as important as the head coach is the staff that he surrounds himself with. That is why I think Mularkey got off to a great start by keeping most of the quality defensive coaches we had around and by bringing in very experienced well-respected coaches on offense.

you're funny. This is a poll for best coach in NFL meaning head coach not surronding cast.

and if we're talking surronding cast, Belicheck wins without compeition.

Bling_1
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
most funniest :scratch:

LMAO, I saw that too.

Patrick76777
Wannstat! The guy is great.

mypoorfriendme
06-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bling
you're funny. This is a poll for best coach in NFL meaning head coach not surronding cast.

and if we're talking surronding cast, Belicheck wins without compeition.

martz would have given him a run for his money last year

TigerJ
06-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Belichick is #1 in my book right now. I might put Vermiel at #2 and Parcells at #3. I downgrade Parcells a bit because he has happy feet and can't seem to stay in one place long enough to really establish a dynasty. After #3 it gets really tricky. Gibbs was the best at one time, but does he still have it after the layoff?
I think Billick is very good. When his team took a nose dive in the season following his Super Bowl win, it was mostly a lack of personnel that did him in. I don't know if he's top 5 though. Martz is a legend in his own mind, but that does not a great coach make. Holmgren might be worthy of a top 5 ranking though he's had a dry spell. He needs to learn to stick to coaching and leave the GM stuff to someone else.

Worst coach in the league is also an interesting topic. I think Norv Turner deserves consideration. He's been a good coordinator over the years, but did nothing in his one previous head coaching gig. Butch Davis is another who deserves consideration, as does Dave Wannstedt. I'll give Schottenheimer a pass in SD because the team personnel is so bad and the team brass doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it. I'll also give a pass to all first and second year coaches with the exception of those who have had prior gigs.

MDFINFAN
06-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
Wannstat! The guy is great.

I agree :beers:

BillsNick
06-18-2004, 12:54 PM
belichick no doubt what so ever.

MDFINFAN
06-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by BillsNick
belichick no doubt what so ever.

I really have my doubts about this. I think he has excellent coordinators, but I saw him in his first HC attempt and he wasn't good, I think he has better players on this team and great assistants. But when a team win 2 out 3 years, what can you say. He's not great, but a good coach in my humble opinion and I still think Parcells is better and Homgren for that matter.

Buckets
06-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I agree :beers:

YOU KNOW YOU"RE LYING!!!!

Bill Brasky
06-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Greg Williams

MDFINFAN
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Buckets

YOU KNOW YOU"RE LYING!!!!

hey I believe in my coach...it's been the players who let me down..Wanny outcoached Belicheck in the first game last year
and Mare missed 2 FG's to cap the game..that's not coaching fault, that's the players, same in the 2nd game against the Patsy, Jay's int to the LB for a TD, difference in game, their players made the plays, ours didn't, and it wasn't cause their weren't prepared or in the right positions either. I'm just calling it like I see it.

MDFINFAN
06-18-2004, 04:43 PM
BTW, can you name one game last year that Miami didn't have a chance to win, except the Tenn. game. that's not by accident, that's good preparation, starting from the coaches.

finsrclowns
06-18-2004, 05:37 PM
1) Bill Bellijerk
2) Joe Gibbs
3) Bill Parcells
4) Dick Vermeil
5) John Gruden
6) Mike Shanahan
7) Jeff Fisher
8) Andy Reid
9) Herman Edwards
10) Denny Green