PDA

View Full Version : Best Bills Year (Post SB era)

BillyT92679
06-20-2004, 09:33 PM
1995-
The last great year of the Bills dynasty; their last division title, and last playoff win. Superb qb performance by Jimbo, all the more remarkable due to the fact that Andre Reed suffered a severe hamstring injury that kept him sidelined for most of the season. Bills made due with Bill Brooks and Russell Copeland as WRs. Thurman rushed for 1,005 yards and was complimented nicely by young 7th round pick Darick Holmes. Defense played above average, with a superb, Defensive Player of the Year award winning performance by Bryce Paup. Highlight was the 37-22 drubbing of the hated Dolphins in the playoffs.

1996- The last home playoff game. Bills duplicated the 10-6 mark though they failed to win the division. Fine play by Kelly, Thomas, and a rejuvenated Reed. Free agent pickup Chris Spielman played admirably. Team had the sixth best scoring defense in the entire league, only allowing 266 points for the season. Highlight was a season ending victory over the Chiefs at Rich to give the Bills a playoff berth.

1998-
Team started disappointingly, losing the first three games of the season by just 9 points. Then lightning struck. First Rob Johnson had a stellar game to lead the Bills over San Fran. Then Doug Flutie took over for an injured Johnson. The Bills proceeded to win 10 out of their next 13 games. Eric Moulds, considered a tremendous bust with just 47 career receptions in two seasons, broke out to become one of the best WR in the game. Antowain Smith took over the running game and bulldozed his way through defenses. The Bills defense was stifiling. The team, which had suffered through a terrible campaign the year before and was very close to relocating out of Buffalo, was rejuvenated. Games for the first time in a while began to sell out. The luxery boxes were sold, and "Bills Stadium" finally became Ralph Wilson Stadium. Team would sign a new lease keeping them in the area for the forseeable future. Highpoint, the unexpected dismantling of the 49ers.

1999-The Best defensive performance in years for the Bills, team plowed it's way to an 11-5 mark. Offense regressed slightly from the previous year, but the d made up the slack. The Bills just overwhelmed teams this year, with strong running from Antowain Smith, Jonathan Linton, and, to a lesser extent, Thurman Thomas. Sam Cowart and Marcellus Wiley were the breakout stars on this team.

Dozerdog
06-20-2004, 10:14 PM
1999- 1 bad call away from what could have been a SB run! We had the defense....

ShadowHawk7
06-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
Highlight was a season ending victory over the Chiefs at Rich to give the Bills a playoff berth.

Actually, I think I found out after the Bills somehow lost the Jax. that if the Bills would of LOST to the Chiefs and finished 9-7, they would of played the Chiefs again, at Buffalo, in a wildcard game. Maybe it woulda been at KC though. That could of easily led to a win by us.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
1999- 1 bad call away from what could have been a SB run! We had the defense....

Seriously... :madshake:

BillyT92679
06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Actually, three.
The two poor calls in the NE game cost us a 12-4 mark.

ryjam282
06-21-2004, 05:05 AM
I'd have to go with 99 as well. Flutie had that team playing well. The D obviously carried us....Damn Titans....

I remember that phantom pass interference call against the Pats...That was a joke as well. Wade pulled the team off the field as a result....Damn......

chubluv
06-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282

I remember that phantom pass interference call against the Pats...That was a joke as well. Wade pulled the team off the field as a result....Damn......

I forgot about that game. stupid refs !!!!!!!!!!!

TedMock
06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
1999. The offense wasn't that great (only around 14 offensive points per game), but the defense was top 3 in the NFL (1,2, or 3 depending on what source you follow). The Ravens won the following year with the same formula. Our D was just sick that year.

Ebenezer
06-22-2004, 10:25 AM

JefftheBillsfan
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM
there were a lot more bad calls than 1 in that titans game imo. all i can remember is the peerless price "bobble", and that random holding call against us on the last field goal attempt of the half that the titans missed. they came back on the field w/0 seconds left (cant end on a def. penalty), and knocked it in.

BillyT92679
06-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
1999. The offense wasn't that great (only around 14 offensive points per game), but the defense was top 3 in the NFL (1,2, or 3 depending on what source you follow). The Ravens won the following year with the same formula. Our D was just sick that year.

I agree. That team was just great to watch.
Four regular games stand out that were very winnable, and could have led to a SB championship.
The Oakland game early in the season at the Ralph.
The Seattle game at the Kingdome.
The Pats game (obviously)
The Giants game at the Ralph. (last minute field goal loss)

The_Philster
06-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
I agree. That team was just great to watch.
Four regular games stand out that were very winnable, and could have led to a SB championship.
The Oakland game early in the season at the Ralph.
The Seattle game at the Kingdome.
The Pats game (obviously)
The Giants game at the Ralph. (last minute field goal loss) Flutie's habit of tucking the ball instead of throwing the easy completion for bigger yardage was a key factor in those losses. :cynic: