PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Patriots!!!

JayWood
10-28-2002, 03:13 PM
I just got out of the car, and the 7 hour ride back is over. The game was great yesterday,the fans were awesome, and it was so good to be back at the "Ralph" Called the local sports radio show this morning while in Buffalo, they were so surprised to have someone calling from Buffalo. Told them to get ready, thats this team is for real and to bring on the Pats!!! :hungry:

Pride
10-28-2002, 03:21 PM
I sure hope so... if we win handily (No OT, No last minute drive by either team) then I will call us Legit for the playoffs. Otherwise, I think we just beat up on some weaker teams.

A win is a win, and that is great... but I want to see a complete game (all 60 minutes in all 3 phases of the game) before I call us Superbowl contenders.

Patrick76777
10-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Pride
I sure hope so... if we win handily (No OT, No last minute drive by either team) then I will call us Legit for the playoffs. Otherwise, I think we just beat up on some weaker teams.

A win is a win, and that is great... but I want to see a complete game (all 60 minutes in all 3 phases of the game) before I call us Superbowl contenders.

Who said anything about Superbowl? I just want to be the best team in the AFC East. That way we can get a home playoff game.

One step at a time brother! Let’s focus on finishing better then Mia, NE and NYJ. With the way the AFC Central and AFC North are going we could get a first round bye.

TigerJ
10-28-2002, 07:58 PM
It's starting to look like weather could be a significant factor in this game. Temperatures will be in the low thirties (high Sunday of 35) with a snow shower and wind.

One reason TD decided he wanted to pursue Bledsoe to QB the Bills is the fact that he throws a ball that is much less affected by the wind than the passes thrown by most QBs, plenty of velocity and a real tight spiral. We already know New England doesn't like to have Brady throw long passes. He is the dink and dunk king. That means in their defense Buffalo can just about dismiss the possibility of NE throwing any deep passes. Even if they attempt them, Brady probably can't complete them.

New England will try to run the ball of course, and sprinkle in a few short passes. Antowain Smith is a good running back, but he he is limited. He doesn't usually make something out of nothing. He can't improvise as well as most backs.

Buffalo's defense has demonstrated in the last few games that they can at least limit the other team's runner, if not shut him down completely. Ricky Williams gained 97 yards, but that was a lot less than his customary 140 or so. James Stewart had 173 or so the Sunday before Detroit played Buffalo, but 83 vs. Buffalo. In the second half, Buffalo did shut him down almost completely.
The bottom line is that NE's offence is going to be terribly limited in scope. I think Buffalo needs to play their DBs up tight and dare Brady to throw deep, because I don't think he'll be able to.

Conversely, DB should be able to keep most of his arsenal. NE will still have to respect his ability to throw at least mid-range passes (in the range of 20-30 yards or more). I'm guessing slippery conditions will handicap pass rushers more than blockers, which will only help DB's protection. Travis Henry is a more creative runner than Smith. It will be harder for NE to shut him down. If NE plays a cover two zone to defend against the deeper passes, it will opne up the running game and short passing game more. I have all kinds of respect for Bill Billichek's defensive genius, but he should be having nightmares this week trying to figure out how to stop the Bills, and the weather only complicates the task, while it makes it easier for Buffalo to defend Tom Brady and the NE offence.

The Natrix
10-28-2002, 09:07 PM
Tiger J, good point about Antowain Smith. He is good at hitting the hole, but if one is not there then he usually doesn't go anywhere. I would like to see a lot of gap fires by our LB's. Yes, it makes us more susceptible to NE's short passes but I would rather focus on shutting down AS, thus putting all the pressure on Brady, who IMO, is not good enough to beat us by himself. I think this is going to be an easier win than some think. Yes, NE will also be pumped for Blesoe Bowl 1, but the fact of the matter is we are the superior team, plus it is at home.

Prediction: The Buffalo vs NE's annual overtime escapades end with a decisive 52-13 Bills victory.

losman2evans
10-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Special Teams and turnovers will be the difference - as it is in most games.

Bledsoe can't try to do too much and Travis needs to hold onto the ball- not that last Sundays fumble was his fault- illegal helmet to helmet hit. The defense needs to force turnovers and special teman just has to play solid- Hoping Rogers doesn't try to do too muc eiter to make up for his bad play on Sunday. Tis is a game that if we play witin our strengths and also establish the running game- unless they stack 8 at the line then let Drew pick them apart.

Maybe I have a sense for stating the obvious-

RIBill
10-29-2002, 07:19 AM
One thing I noticed in the Pats - Denver game was that Greise could have had a picnic behind his offensive line. He was so well protected and had all the time in the world to sit back and pick out his receiver. The Pats line is getting no push on defense. If the Bills OL can continue to protect Bledsoe I predict he will pick the Pats defense apart. I think a nice mix of Henry runs and Bledsoe spreading the passes around will keep their defense in disarray. I honestly don't think they can stop Henry - line is too slow. GO BILLS!

Buffarama
10-29-2002, 07:30 AM
Stopping Antowian is easy, just penetrate the backfield and he goes down like Carlton Bailey.