• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halbert
    I'm Not Normal
    • Jul 2002

Does this mean Wire will play FS?

Pierson Prioleau, who started at free safety in 2002 and in four games last season, practiced at strong safety in minicamps. At 5-11, 188, he doesn't have great size for the position, but he's tough and physical. At strong safety, Prioleau would back up Lawyer Milloy.

Watch FOX Sports and view live scores, odds, team news, player news, streams, videos, stats, standings & schedules covering NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE, NBA, NHL, college sports & more!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

...or Reese, Rashad Baker, Vincent, or someone else we might bring in. But I like Wire's attitude, work ethic, and physical tools, and hope he can develop the coverage skills to win the position.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

According to some things I've read, in this defense there isn't a SS or an FS...I would suspect the starters against Jax will be Wire and Milloy.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
        • Apr 2003

with so much more new intricite offensive theories which thrive on making mismatches like a TE on a FS or LB on a RB, the gaps between FS and SS are closing as are the gaps between MLB and OLB. nowadays, one dimensional players have little value
        the dude abides

Comment

• McBFLO
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          According to some things I've read, in this defense there isn't a SS or an FS...I would suspect the starters against Jax will be Wire and Milloy.
          Yeah, they were saying that the 2 positions are very similar to one another. That's a plus if you're Coy Wire. That much less of an adjustment he has to make.
          Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Yes, the Bills want to see what Wire can do at free safety, and yes as defences get more complex, and particularly as they try to disguise what they are doing in order to confuse offenses, the roles of free safety and strong safety are getting very blurry. Strong safeties are becoming more involved in coverage and free safeties in run support.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• EM Bills Fan 80
              Let's Go Buffalo!
              • Mar 2003

Why do people just assume that Wire is gonna start at FS??? What does Prioleau have to do with it. Reese was our Starting FS before he was injured.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I dont think Wire will be a good FS, he just doesnt have the cover skills. Baker, Graham, or anybody else would be somebody I would hope also get a long look there.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• B-DON
                  hi
                  • Mar 2004

griffey couldnt hold big mac's jock strap

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    I dont think Wire will be a good FS, he just doesnt have the cover skills. Baker, Graham, or anybody else would be somebody I would hope also get a long look there.
                    undrafted free agent over last years starters?? im going to bet reese and PP can beat them out
                    the dude abides

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Im not saying as a starter but im saying that they at least deservea long look over there. Hell we really cant get any worse than last years FS.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Halbert
                        I'm Not Normal
                        • Jul 2002

The thing I noticed about Wire when he started was that you would see his jersey on almost every single play. And if you saw a smallish guy cream somebody near the LOS it was almost always him.

He made me cringe a couple times when trying to cover a TE, but if they fix that then they'll have another intimidating presence in center field.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          draftboy.. you act like coverage skill is something that you are born with...

it is a learned technique.. he has every bit the speed of dawkins, reed, taylor, and williams.. check the combine numbers..

he is as smart and hard working as any player on the bills roster. he will do everything in his power to learn the spot and learn the technique requred to play the spot.. whether or not he can do that is still debatable.. but to assume that he cant because of something that he needs to work at is.. well.. and assumption.. and you know what that say about those.

wire will have to beat out reese right now. reese is the starter.. wire is the back up.. that is how it has been every camp so far.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• EM Bills Fan 80
                            Let's Go Buffalo!
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by B-DON
                            griffey couldnt hold big mac's jock strap
                            That's funny, you must be dreaming, unlike Big Mac, Giffey can hit for average, play defense, and steal bases.

But that's beside the point, that has nothin to do with this thread so stay on topic next time

Comment

• ryjam282
                              Offical Billszone Starting QB
                              • Mar 2003

I agree, Wire would be ideal at the free safety spot if he can learn the coverage part of it.....He is, IMO, the best pure tackler we have on the team. Winfield was, but now he is gone. Wire can hit and tackle, what more do we want back there. I think it is a match made in heaven for us. He will light some guys up deep down the field.

Ryan Withey
                              Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

Working...
                              X