PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean Wire will play FS?

Halbert
06-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Pierson Prioleau, who started at free safety in 2002 and in four games last season, practiced at strong safety in minicamps. At 5-11, 188, he doesn't have great size for the position, but he's tough and physical. At strong safety, Prioleau would back up Lawyer Milloy.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2503534

Jan Reimers
06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
...or Reese, Rashad Baker, Vincent, or someone else we might bring in. But I like Wire's attitude, work ethic, and physical tools, and hope he can develop the coverage skills to win the position.

Ebenezer
06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
According to some things I've read, in this defense there isn't a SS or an FS...I would suspect the starters against Jax will be Wire and Milloy.

mypoorfriendme
06-22-2004, 11:05 AM
with so much more new intricite offensive theories which thrive on making mismatches like a TE on a FS or LB on a RB, the gaps between FS and SS are closing as are the gaps between MLB and OLB. nowadays, one dimensional players have little value

McBFLO
06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
According to some things I've read, in this defense there isn't a SS or an FS...I would suspect the starters against Jax will be Wire and Milloy.
Yeah, they were saying that the 2 positions are very similar to one another. That's a plus if you're Coy Wire. That much less of an adjustment he has to make.

TigerJ
06-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Yes, the Bills want to see what Wire can do at free safety, and yes as defences get more complex, and particularly as they try to disguise what they are doing in order to confuse offenses, the roles of free safety and strong safety are getting very blurry. Strong safeties are becoming more involved in coverage and free safeties in run support.

EM Bills Fan 80
06-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Why do people just assume that Wire is gonna start at FS??? What does Prioleau have to do with it. Reese was our Starting FS before he was injured.

DraftBoy
06-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I dont think Wire will be a good FS, he just doesnt have the cover skills. Baker, Graham, or anybody else would be somebody I would hope also get a long look there.

B-DON
06-22-2004, 12:40 PM
griffey couldnt hold big mac's jock strap

mypoorfriendme
06-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy
I dont think Wire will be a good FS, he just doesnt have the cover skills. Baker, Graham, or anybody else would be somebody I would hope also get a long look there.

undrafted free agent over last years starters?? im going to bet reese and PP can beat them out

DraftBoy
06-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Im not saying as a starter but im saying that they at least deservea long look over there. Hell we really cant get any worse than last years FS.

Halbert
06-22-2004, 04:06 PM
The thing I noticed about Wire when he started was that you would see his jersey on almost every single play. And if you saw a smallish guy cream somebody near the LOS it was almost always him.

He made me cringe a couple times when trying to cover a TE, but if they fix that then they'll have another intimidating presence in center field.

Tatonka
06-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by DraftBoy

draftboy.. you act like coverage skill is something that you are born with...

it is a learned technique.. he has every bit the speed of dawkins, reed, taylor, and williams.. check the combine numbers..

he is as smart and hard working as any player on the bills roster. he will do everything in his power to learn the spot and learn the technique requred to play the spot.. whether or not he can do that is still debatable.. but to assume that he cant because of something that he needs to work at is.. well.. and assumption.. and you know what that say about those.

wire will have to beat out reese right now. reese is the starter.. wire is the back up.. that is how it has been every camp so far.

EM Bills Fan 80
06-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by B-DON
griffey couldnt hold big mac's jock strap

That's funny, you must be dreaming, unlike Big Mac, Giffey can hit for average, play defense, and steal bases.

But that's beside the point, that has nothin to do with this thread so stay on topic next time :D

ryjam282
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I agree, Wire would be ideal at the free safety spot if he can learn the coverage part of it.....He is, IMO, the best pure tackler we have on the team. Winfield was, but now he is gone. Wire can hit and tackle, what more do we want back there. I think it is a match made in heaven for us. He will light some guys up deep down the field.

DraftBoy
06-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

draftboy.. you act like coverage skill is something that you are born with...

it is a learned technique.. he has every bit the speed of dawkins, reed, taylor, and williams.. check the combine numbers..

he is as smart and hard working as any player on the bills roster. he will do everything in his power to learn the spot and learn the technique requred to play the spot.. whether or not he can do that is still debatable.. but to assume that he cant because of something that he needs to work at is.. well.. and assumption.. and you know what that say about those.

wire will have to beat out reese right now. reese is the starter.. wire is the back up.. that is how it has been every camp so far.

How about the fact that up to this season he has never been able to learn the covering technique, what is to make him all the sudden learn it now. MyPoorfriend has said that in recent years the distinguishment between SS and FS has become blurred with a SS having to do more coverage, and we saw in his rookie season that he couldnt cover even a TE, yet Im supposed to hope and believe that he now can do an even harder task of covering open space instead of a man one on one. He has always had the knack that he cant cover bc his hip movements are fluid enough and his hands are made of stone. He's our best hitter and I love him on the team but I dont see him as a good FS, especially since all of us were calling for more interceptions next year bc that is something Coy prolly wont bring and thats INT's. Furthermore I dont assume anything, im saying that I dont think he can be a good FS based on this one glaring problem.

BuffaloRanger
06-22-2004, 09:24 PM
distinguishment????

"So what's the symbology here?

I'm sure the word you were looking for is symbolism. What is the Ssssyyyymmm- bo - lissssssmm."

~ B.S.

Philagape
06-22-2004, 09:29 PM
My confusionism is reaching high levels of increasingment.

DraftBoy
06-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
distinguishment????

"So what's the symbology here?

I'm sure the word you were looking for is symbolism. What is the Ssssyyyymmm- bo - lissssssmm."

~ B.S.

If thats the best way to try and insult me, you may wanna try harder im not BOA.

TigerJ
06-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Buffalo would like Wire to beat out Reese because he has a reputation as a big play guy, and they clearly want more big plays. Regarding Wire's coverage skills: He actually did make some improvement over the course of his rookie year. He was better in December than he was in September. This is now his third year. We saw nothing of him last season because of the presence of Milloy, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was standing still. He said that Milloy took him under his wing and that he learned a great deal. I assume he continued to learn from his position coach too. I don't know that he has the coverage aspect of playing FS licked yet, but I don't necessarily assume that because he was well behind two years ago he is going to be bad in this coming season.

Tatonka
06-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Buffalo would like Wire to beat out Reese because he has a reputation as a big play guy, and they clearly want more big plays. Regarding Wire's coverage skills: He actually did make some improvement over the course of his rookie year. He was better in December than he was in September. This is now his third year. We saw nothing of him last season because of the presence of Milloy, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was standing still. He said that Milloy took him under his wing and that he learned a great deal. I assume he continued to learn from his position coach too. I don't know that he has the coverage aspect of playing FS licked yet, but I don't necessarily assume that because he was well behind two years ago he is going to be bad in this coming season.

good points

B-DON
06-23-2004, 12:50 AM
wire is not the best tacler on this team and winfield was number 2 behind spikes.

ryjam282
06-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Open field tackler....Winfield brought everyone down no matter what.

Wire is clearly the #1 now that he is gone. I will definitely say Spikes is #2 behind him, but Wire is a fundamentally sound tackler, does it very well..

Tatonka
06-23-2004, 08:45 AM
i think i would have to go with spikes as the best tackler as well.

ryjam282
06-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I still Wire is...I guess that is a matter of opinion but I have seen Spikes miss a few more then I have seen Wire....Neither of them are bad by any means but Wire also just pops people too, but I guess so does Spikes....nevermind, it is a moot point.

DraftBoy
06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I still Wire is...I guess that is a matter of opinion but I have seen Spikes miss a few more then I have seen Wire....Neither of them are bad by any means but Wire also just pops people too, but I guess so does Spikes....nevermind, it is a moot point.

Kinda hard to compare with Wire hadly playing and Spikes playing all the time

Italian Stallion
06-23-2004, 02:31 PM
The defense needs his intimidating presence on the field, and his sure tackling. Troy Vincent filled the void as a cover corner, but he has never been a sure-fire tackler....

Wire will bring that tenacity and big play ability to the seconday, and in a much bigger package that Winfield. With the way our linebackers play sideline to sideline, having a deep man with the mentality of a Spikes, will do nothing but help create fumbles and so on...

Reese to me is a very average player, nothing flashy or spectacular about him, and no nack for the big play...

Tatonka
06-23-2004, 03:01 PM
reese is a scrub... plain and simple.

DraftBoy
06-23-2004, 03:09 PM
reese is a scrub... plain and simple.

Now this we agree on!:cheers:

B-DON
06-23-2004, 07:28 PM
reese needs to be cut and dont give me the depth excuse as why we should keep him

juice
06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Reese has the best range at FS position on the team.. He plays to cover first.. he played well when he started until he got injured.

EM Bills Fan 80
06-23-2004, 09:09 PM
I just have 1 question to all the Coy Wire Fans:

Can I just ask what you've seen that makes Coy Wire such AN AMAZING FS and better than Reese?

Tatonka
06-23-2004, 09:10 PM
reese is a scrub... always has been always will be.. his numbers tell the story.. i dont want to hear about cover first or any of that crap.. i want a FS that can kill people.. that can make hits and get some picks... like kurt schultz used to do for us.

Tatonka
06-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by EM Bills Fan 80
And may I just ask as to what you've seen B-DON that makes Coy Wire such AN AMAZING FS and better than Reese?

he doesnt have to be AMAZING to be better than reese.. he just has to be average.. and with his knack for killing people with big hits and blitzing.. we will be better.

juice
06-23-2004, 11:10 PM
i want a FS that can kill people.. that can make hits and get some picks... like kurt schultz used to do for us.

FS position is a last line of defense.. we will need a FS that wont allow WR's to get deep for the easy TD on passing downs.

If our defense continues to show a lack of ability to bring pressure to opposing QB's Wire will be exposed and we will be open to the big play.

Wire is tough on run plays but he has to show he has the ability to protect over the top.. Blitzing and run support is better left to Milloy and the SS position.

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
:snicker:

coy wire is going to be laying hits heard round the nfl this season as our starting FS.. you can deny it all you want.

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 09:18 AM
:chair:

:shakeno:

:down:

:mad:

Earthquake Enyart
06-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Wire had more problems with schemes than with cover skills. He seemed to have trouble recognizing what was going on and got burned once or twice a game. Toward the end of last year, he got better and they designed some nice blitzes for him.

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wire had more problems with schemes than with cover skills. He seemed to have trouble recognizing what was going on and got burned once or twice a game. Toward the end of last year, he got better and they designed some nice blitzes for him.

no no.. it is all in his hips.. he cant shake them like ricky martin, therefore he will never be able to learn to cover or be better than the other 2 pieces of garbage we have at fs.

:rolleyes:

zone
06-24-2004, 02:03 PM
how does no one mention Milloy as one of the best tacklers on the team?

juice
06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

Recognition is important.. Wire as a former LB will have to deal with the mental change and quick response.

Ability to recover and Range also play a major role as an effective FS.
:snicker:

coy wire is going to be laying hits heard round the nfl this season as our starting FS.. you can deny it all you want.

Who said he shouldn't get the chance to start at FS? That doesn't say that he would be the best option on passing downs.. unless you are looking to use him to Blitz, Coy might be a liability in Defending the deep pass.

The Natrix
06-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Wire is going to tear it up out there. :::

Dantheman1280
06-24-2004, 06:44 PM
HELL YEA!!

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
wire just needs to bust out his black belt and his :chuk:

so he may get a few penalties, but as long as they are not beating him deep..

:chair: