PDA

View Full Version : A couple very good Bills articles.

ShadowHawk7
06-23-2004, 10:44 PM
If any of you guys got a PM from a Ricky Davis about AFCE-Rivals.com, I strongly recommend checking it out. This is a fairly new site, and not there aren't too many users. Also Bills fans are outnumbered by Jets fans about 8:1 so I could you some help over there. Once a lot of people use the site, it should be another great site, like BillsZone, to post your opinions, and learn about the Bills.
There are a couple quite good orginal Bills articles there you can read on their front page, or thru these links.

A interesting take on the loss of Ruben Brown. (http://www.afce-rivals.com/forums/article.php?a=6)

Vincent the catalyst on Bills Defense. (http://www.afce-rivals.com/forums/article.php?a=5)

A VERY interesting take on why Henry missed some of the OTAs. (http://www.afce-rivals.com/forums/article.php?a=3)

Enjoy. :push:

Dozerdog
06-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Yeah- we didn't appreciate the 50 spam emails he sent out. :down:

TigerJ
06-23-2004, 11:12 PM
I think he is prone to hyperbole. Ruben Brown wasn't that much of a loss. Troy Vincent isn't that much of an upgrade. Travis Henry isn't terribly happy about the presence of McGahee, but doesn't hate him.

juice
06-23-2004, 11:26 PM
RB was the heart and soul of that line... High intensity player willing to do what it takes to protect his QB.

The TH and WM saga will play out during the season... it will be difficult to keep both happy.

ShadowHawk7
06-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think he is prone to hyperbole. Ruben Brown wasn't that much of a loss. Troy Vincent isn't that much of an upgrade. Travis Henry isn't terribly happy about the presence of McGahee, but doesn't hate him.

What's hyperbole? Over reacting? :???: I agree with the guys opinion though. If Ruben Brown is a big loss or not will be seen in the season. I think we are trying to rationalize his loss and that it won't do damage, like we did the loss of Price. Hopefully I'm wrong though. The other two articles provide good points to ponder on in this offseason lull.

TigerJ
06-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Hyperbole: overstatement or exageration to make a point

Ruben Brown was/is a good player and was, I think, respected in the locker room. I don't think he was the glue that held the line together. I don't think the line falls appart because he's gone.
The release of Ruben at left guard and acquisition of Villarrial at right guard is probably closer to a wash than anything else.

Troy Vincent give the chance for a few more interceptions. His run support and tackling is not what Winfield's is. I think I'm happier with Vincent, but it's not like Winfield was a scrub

Schobel94
06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Those have to be the worst articles I have ever read.

First of all, we all knew Ruben's skills were diminishing because we could see it, it's not rocket science. He simply did not look like the Ruben of 5 years ago, and his cap numbers were way to high. He goes on to state that we aren't experts, we aren't on the field, blah blah blah. Well, what makes you such an expert. You know just as much as we do. The experts are guys like Mularkey and Donahoe, who cut him. We didn't save just $1.8 mill, we saved much more on next years cap when we really need it to sign Jennings, Schobel, and Williams. If we had cut him next year or kept him, he would be a huge drag on the cap, by taking the hit this year, Donahoe has freed up a lot of money for next year.

Another thing, he compares protecting a goalie to protecting a QB. If someone gets in the face of your goalie, you have to teach him a lesson, even if it gets you a penalty. Fine. But since when is a false start at the 2 yard line teaching a lesson. Oh he sure showed them. And holding your opponent so he doesn't reach the QB isn't teaching him a lesson either, and it doesn't mean you're good or tough, it means you suck and have to hold to prevent guys from getting to the QB.

On the second article, I agree that Troy Vincent is a great addition, but he is hardly the catalyst for this defense. What was missing last year and what we sorely need is a great pass rusher, if we can't get pressure, we won't get turnovers no matter how good our corners are.

On the third article, he says that if Henry was in the best shape of his life, wouldn't he want to show it off to the coaches? That is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The guy is a pro bowl back whom everybody knows is in great shape, he doesn't have anything to prove to anybody. And if he really didn't want to be a Bill, why did he eventually show up to the OTA, not to mention all of the other OTA's that he showed up to. In today's NFL, if a player doesn't want to be part of a team, you hear about it, loud and often.

Anyway, just what I think about those articles. They just seem to be weird conclusions drawn from an uniformed individual.

justasportsfan
06-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Great OLmen don't have to commit penalties trying to protect their qb's.

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

:lol:

Tatonka
06-24-2004, 10:35 AM
except Kyle Turley....

i personally like olineman that rip opposing teams helmets off and chuck them like 50 yards down the field, and then get ejected.. that is what gets me fired up.

ryjam282
06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I thought all the articles were well written, but not very factual. Reuben will not be that big of a loss. Vincent is a very good corner and that still remains to be seen what his impact will be. The WM/TH saga will not end pretty no matter how we do it.

zone
06-24-2004, 01:48 PM
I think that the O Line has no where to go but up. It can not get much worse. I don't think there is any glue in a line that gives up 50 SACKS!!

BillsFanInMass
06-24-2004, 01:58 PM
That site has been down for a week or two

Dozerdog
06-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
except Kyle Turley....

i personally like olineman that rip opposing teams helmets off and chuck them like 50 yards down the field, and then get ejected.. that is what gets me fired up.

....with 5 seconds left in the game and your team on the 5 needing a TD to win. ....while hanging on by a toenail to a playoff spot......

Henryforprez
06-25-2004, 12:22 AM
(This is Wolffman from AFCE-Rivals)

I appreciate you guys taking a look at my articles, I'll take your opinions to heart.

And by the way, the site is back up now and ready to go. :)

TedMock
06-25-2004, 10:54 AM
except Kyle Turley....

Hell yeah, especially considering that it was in the final seconds of the game. If I was a QB, I'd love a guy like Turley on my line. At least we know he'll do whatever it takes to make sure I don't get hit with a cheap shot.

juice
06-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Every Lineman holds, It's part of playing the position.. Just like defending the Center position in Basketball.. How much they hold depends on their opponents skill level, Athletic ability, as well as the ability of the other protecters on the Line.

:lol:

I dont think he was actually joking, and I hope you dont think every Lineman isn't holding at some point in every game... How much a Lineman gets called for it has as much to do with the abilities of the player to the Left and Right of him, as much as how much his skill level has diminished.
Originally posted by ryjam282
The WM/TH saga will not end pretty no matter how we do it.

How much of a distraction the RB Controversy will effect the team will be the deciding factor, If Both Backs are productive everyone will win... One RB will be moved to possibly a even better situation Financially , The Bills will win games by controlling the Ball, and that makes the Fans happy and fills seats.
Originally posted by Henryforprez
(This is Wolffman from AFCE-Rivals)

I appreciate you guys taking a look at my articles, I'll take your opinions to heart.

And by the way, the site is back up now and ready to go. :)

Good Article.. Well stated points about the Ruben Brown situation.. He was made the scapegoat and we moved him without it being financially beneficial.. Vallariel will be a drop off, especially in the Run game.