X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Izzell Reese or Coy Wire at FS

If the competition at FS is between Reese and Wire, Who should start and who would give us more Interceptions needed at the position,which has been lacking that type of momentum changing "Big Play".

Reese was playing well at the position when given the chance last season while starting... It is a natural position for him and he has the Range and experience to make correct reads to be effective.

Wire is highly aggressive and can produce big plays in run defense and Blitzing situatons... Over agression can be a liability at FS and leave the Defense open to Big Plays but if used correctly can give the Bills a John Lynch type player at FS.

Wire seems to be more of a SS type player but Milloy will be more effective with that type of play.

Or Can the position be filled by both players, Reese that is a better cover defender and Wire who is a more instinctive tackler and Blitzer?
    Last edited by juice; 06-26-2004, 09:00 PM.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

The assumption is that because as a rookie, two years ago, Wire was making the transition from LB and was not very good in coverage, that this will still be the case. I'd prefer to hold off on that judgement. He was getting better toward the end of his rookie season, and had a whole season to watch from the sidelines, study film, practice and work with a more experienced Lawyer Milloy. If nothing else Wire seems to be a highly motivated and intelligent player, and I would not put it past him to have learned how to cover.

I think it's pretty clear Buffalo is not going to get a lot of interceptions out of Reese.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

yeah.. reese has shown over his career to be a real "interception machine"

7 career INTs in 6 years.. and 3 of those came in one season 4 years ago..

none in the last two years..

reese will never get any better..

wire can.

wire is the better choice and will be the starter..

reese is ... well.. lets just say.. you cant turn chicken **** into chicken salad.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• G. Host
        Banned
        • Jul 2002

I think Wire should get his shot but the Bills should try to lock him up longer if they are going to invest the money in training him to be a free safety rather than his more natural position of strong safety.

Also he will end up competing with Vincent sooner or later since that is part of the plan when they brought Vincent to the Bills.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

It would appear that Wire is a better, more competitive athlete with a much bigger upside than Reese. He is far more likely to give us some big plays, but perhaps a little more likely to get toasted occasionally as well.

I'd take Wire. He won't fail for lack of effort.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

If I were the coaches I'd let Wire cover Moulds in some drills just to practice his coverage skills and let Drew (or the other 2 ) through to him just so he can practice catching. Wire could be a liability covering the likes of McMichael or a caliber of Gonzo if he doesn't improve.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Wire over Reese, no competition there.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• juice
                • Aug 2003

Reese might be the best cover Safety on the roster which gives him the upper hand as the starter, at least in passing situations.

Clements might be able to return to his "Big Play" form with a FS who can back him up when he Gambles to make the Pick.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
                  Reese might be the best cover Safety on the roster which gives him the upper hand as the starter, at least in passing situations.

Clements might be able to return to his "Big Play" form with a FS who can back him up when he Gambles to make the Pick.
                  is it all of reese's INTs that lead you to believe he can cover?
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    is it all of reese's INTs that lead you to believe he can cover?
                    No, It was watching his play last season and him winning the starting position before his injury... from what I have seen of Wire I would say that he is the worst cover guy of all of the DB's on the team.

Not to say Wire hasn't improved, but I would say he has the most to prove in reading and recognition.

What has Wire done to show that he can be effective in pass coverage and that he is deserving of the starting FS spot? We already have a starting SS.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

reese won the starting FS spot because we dont have another FS on the roster..

yeah.. he really had to work his tail off for that..

prioleau is an undersized SS.. not a FS.. never was.. he just filled the role for a year.

wire is the best athlete of them all.. and has the ability to make big plays..

you ask me what has wire shown to change that he cant cover?

i ask you what has wire done to show you that he cant cover in the first place.. so he got burn a handful of times as a rookie.. big deal.. all rookies do.. especially ones that are in a new position.. he also held shanon sharp to 0 catches for zero yards..

he will be fine.. and reese will be lucky to just be a back up.

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Wire has the ability to make big plays as a Blitzer and tackler.. why should he be annointed to starting FS when he played the SS position more like a LB and only excelled in run support?

Wire hasn't proven he can read and recognize a run play from Playaction, he tends to play with a run first mentallity which leads to him getting burned deep... exposing his inability to recover.

Even in run defense he is over aggressive and overruns plays rendering him ineffective as the last line of defense.. This type of play leads to alot of tackles and very few pass plays defended well.

LB first mentallity will not make Wire our starting FS, maybe a SS on first and second downs but he will prove to be a liability in pass "D".

Has he done something in the offseason to Warrant him being our last line of pass defense when that is the weak point of his game as a DB?

I'd rather have Reese playing the center field, at least he has shown the range and has the experience. But Wire is worth taking a look at, as of right now I'd put him no higher than #2 at FS.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

wire hasnt shown you any range at FS because you have not seen him there.. you have no idea what range he has... you also dont know what he has learned about coverage and recognition.. he was a rookie playing a new position.. so of coarse he was going to revert to his LB mentality at first.. but he was only beat a handful of times and got better as the year went on.. including shutting out a future hall of famer in Shanon Sharpe... but of coarse you dont want to see or admit any of that.

reese has done NOTHING.. not one pick.. not one fumble.. not one big hit.. NOTHING.. he is a scrub.. and he is a league vet.. who is NOT going to get any better.. there is a reason that denver only had him start at FS for ONE year.

Comment

• juice
                            • Aug 2003

Reese has shown the ability to stay in the League at one position.. Even a second string player has a role on any team.

Wire may have a role on this "D" but I Question if that role will be as the last line of pass defense.. It's just not the stronge point of his game, UNLESS he has grown by leaps and bounds in coverage ability he seems to be more of a run support guy than a coverage first guy.

Wire should concentrate on the SS position, It better fits his natural abilities.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Concentrating on strong safety is a 'Sulking' Sullivan type of move - Wire has too much spirit to do that. In my opinion the Bills should have never signed Malloy - he does not do enough to earn the dollars he gets. The Bills should have stuck with Wire and built the team by draft not overpriced, over the hill veterans.

Comment

Working...
                              X